PDA

View Full Version : Nevada State Athletic Commission bans TRT, urges fellow commissions to follow

Pahlavan
27-02-2014, 22:57
In a landmark decision, the Nevada State Athletic Commission (NSAC) unanimously approved a motion to ban the practice of awarding fighters a therapeutic use exemption (TUE) for testosterone replacement therapy (TRT) in the state of Nevada on Thursday.

The ban is effectively immediately, stretches amongst the realms of boxing, kickboxing, and mixed martial arts, and not only includes future applicants for TRT, but also users who have received TUEs for TRT from the NSAC in the past.

Commission officials urged representatives from fellow athletic commissions to follow their lead and ban TRT exemptions in their corresponding states.

"I'm comfortable with the information we have before us, and I would welcome and encourage the ABC (Association of Boxing Commissions) to look at this issue for all commissions in all states across the country," NSAC Chairman Francisco Aguilar said. "I think it's important that there be a standard set, and I think we're not afraid of making that standard known, and then following the discussion after this point in time."

Minutes after the commission’s decision, the UFC announced that it too will ban TRT exemptions moving forward.

"I do believe that this is something that gives people an unfair advantage for these actual benefits," said Aguilar. "And I think that it's unfair for those fighters who are lucky enough to not have to go through the process. It's not fair to them when they have to meet a competitor who is, somehow, could be (using) an advantage."

NSAC chairman Skip Avansino initially proposed the motion following a discussion of the ramifications of TRT and possibly of a statewide ban. The motion was then seconded by NSAC commissioner Pat Ludvall.

"I know in granting TUEs for TRT in the past, it caused me a great burden because there is always a person there fighting on the other side who isn't asking for anything, who is going to be tested, who is going to be tested randomly, and is clean," said NSAC chairman Bill Brady. "So I think we have an obligation to the fighter who doesn't want an exemption and is clean; an obligation to them to make sure they're getting an honest and fair fight. So if this takes away that judgment that I have never liked, that I've been uncomfortable when I've been involved in it, then I think this is an appropriate motion and one that I support."

The commission's decision arrives just three months before Vitor Belfort, perhaps the posterchild for TRT, is scheduled to challenge Chris Weidman for the UFC middleweight title within the state of Nevada. Belfort's case has long been a source of controversy, as former NSAC executive director Keith Kizer infamously stated that the NSAC would likely reject Belator's application for a TUE due to his documented history of steroid abuse.

"In my medical opinion, and this is my opinion, I would assume that if someone has tested positive for performance enhancing drugs, or is known to have used performance enhancing drugs, I would assume that's the cause of their low testosterone," argued Dr. Timothy Trainor, a consulting physician for the NSAC, when asked by Lundvall if past PED use and the need for TRT is linked.

Trainor estimated that, at least in terms of the general population, less than one-percent of the population are affected by primary hypogonadism, which is the leading cause of fighter applications for TUEs. He added that past steroid abuse can replicate the results of primary hypogonadism, leading to the awarding of exemptions for synthetic testosterone for athletes who have "shut down their systems" with PED use.

Aside from Belfort, veteran mixed martial artists Dan Henderson, Chael Sonnen, Frank Mir, Forrest Griffin, Quinton Jackson, Antonio Silva and Joe Warren have also received TUEs for TRT from state athletic commissions in the past.

"A license to compete in combat sports is not a God-given right to anyone," Trainor said. "We all need to get a license to drive. Well, you can be denied a license to drive. So, in the same fashion, just because you live and breathe, does not, in my opinion, mean you're allowed to compete in this sport."

The UFC released the following statement Thursday afternoon regarding the NSAC's decision.

"The Ultimate Fighting Championship fully supports the decision made today by the Nevada State Athletic Commission regarding the immediate termination of therapeutic use exemptions (TUE) for testosterone replacement therapy (TRT)," said UFC President Dana White. "We believe our athletes should compete based on their natural abilities and on an even playing field. We also intend to honor this ruling in international markets where, due to a lack of governing bodies, the UFC oversees regulatory efforts for our live events. We encourage all athletic commissions to adopt this ruling."

Pahlavan
27-02-2014, 22:57
Met dank aan forum member Harrie Nak die het als eerst in een andere thread bekend maakte.
ik vond dit nieuws wel een eigen thread waard.

Pahlavan
27-02-2014, 23:00
Minutes after the Nevada State Athletic Commission unanimously approved a motion to ban the practice of awarding fighters a therapeutic use exemption (TUE) for testosterone replacement therapy (TRT) in the state, the Ultimate Fighting Championship followed suit.

UFC president Dana White told MMAFighting.com on Thursday that the UFC will no longer allow fighters to use TRT when fighting on cards in which the UFC serves as the governing body. That typically happens when the UFC holds events overseas in countries that do not have athletic commissions in place.

"We follow Nevada," White said.

White, who had been vocal recently about the dangers of TRT, expressed extreme satisfaction that the NSAC finally banned the controversial use of TRT.

"[I'm] pumped!" White wrote via text message. "Couldn't wait for that garbage to go away."

Last year, White announced that the promotion began randomly testing TRT users on its own prior to fights to ensure that the fighters were not abusing the therapy.

It remains to be seen whether the promotion will also refuse to allow fighters from using TRT in states, provinces or countries with athletic commissions who have not banned it.

Nevada's ban on TRT is effectively immediately, disallowing any past, present or future users from applying for a TUE.

Update: The UFC issued a press release on Thursday's news:

"The Ultimate Fighting Championship fully supports the decision made today by the Nevada State Athletic Commission regarding the immediate termination of therapeutic use exemptions (TUE) for testosterone replacement therapy (TRT)," White stated in the release. "We believe our athletes should compete based on their natural abilities and on an even playing field. We also intend to honor this ruling in international markets where, due to a lack of governing bodies, the UFC oversees regulatory efforts for our live events. We encourage all athletic commissions to adopt this ruling."

Pahlavan
27-02-2014, 23:02
You can count Chris Weidman among those who are excited about the news that the Nevada State Athletic Commission has banned therapeutic use exemptions for testosterone replacement therapy effective immediately.

"This is an amazing day for the sport," Weidman told MMAFighting.com. "This is something that I've wanted to see happen for quite some time. TRT was and has always been cheating, and I'm glad Nevada finally recognized that, especially since I'm about to fight there against a known TRT user. Hopefully, every other athletic commission follows because this was long overdue.

"If you need TRT to fight, you shouldn't fight. Period."

Weidman is scheduled to fight Vitor Belfort, who has been on TRT for at least his last three fights (all wins), at UFC 173 on May 24 in Las Vegas.

Belfort recently said he would like to see Weidman undergo extra drug testing prior to their middleweight title fight, and Weidman said he had no problem with that.

"I won't do it just because Vitor wants me to get tested. I'll do it if the commission or the UFC asks me to. Absolutely.

"Come to my house, come to my gym. Whatever is good for the sport, I'll do."

T15Boxing
27-02-2014, 23:22
Jammer dat dit niet na 24 Mei pas van toepassing is.

Klassikl
28-02-2014, 00:15
Heel, heel mooi nieuws!

Naj85
28-02-2014, 01:27
hmm wat voor vitor gaan we nu zien?

appelsap
28-02-2014, 02:07

God wil blijkbaar niet dat er in de UFC nog TRT wordt gebruikt dus ik denk dat hij het prima vindt, en nu direct extra Testo krijgt ingestraald van boven. Komt goed.

T15Boxing
28-02-2014, 03:43
Wie er in het verleden misbruik van heeft gemaakt zal het waarschijnlijk blijven doen. Voortaan gewoon slim zijn met cyclen.

Leventdepevent
28-02-2014, 07:34
hopelijk eentje met een normaal kapsel :D

stephan_dude
28-02-2014, 07:43

Geen! ik zie net op instagram dat vitor zijn gevecht tegen weidman heeft afgezegd!!
Zou god hem dat hebben ingefluisterd????:whistling:
Machida neemt het van hem over..

stephan_dude
28-02-2014, 07:48
ufc (http://www.mixfight.nl/ufc)#UFC173 shake up! Belfort steps down from his title shot and @lyotomachidafw (http://www.mixfight.nl/lyotomachidafw) steps in to face @chrisweidmanufc (http://www.mixfight.nl/chrisweidmanufc) at UFC 173 in Vegas!

Harrie Nak
28-02-2014, 10:55
Met dank aan forum member Harrie Nak die het als eerst in een andere thread bekend maakte.
ik vond dit nieuws wel een eigen thread waard.:osu:

e-type
28-02-2014, 11:04
Leuk voor Machida, maar ik kijk nu toch minder uit naar dit titelgevecht.

Nelisje
28-02-2014, 12:56
Rampage heeft volgens mij wel eens gezegd dat TRT zo'n enorm verschil maakte dat hij het jammer vond dat hij er niet eerder om gevraagd heeft (heeft geloof ik alleen zijn laatste 2 UFC gevechten op TRT gevochten). Als een vechter dat zelf eerlijk toegeeft lijkt het mij dat de NSAC en de UFC een goede beslissing genomen hebben.

Dit zal waarschijnlijk wel einde carriere zijn voor bv Henderson en Belfort (of nog een paar wedstrijden op een veel lager niveau cashen maar niet meedoen om de prijzen). Bigfoot zal wel melk spuiten door de octagon... Dit gaat betekenen dat een carriere na de 35 een stuk lastiger wordt.

Willem033
28-02-2014, 12:58
Bigfoot kan zijn eigen melklijn beginnen hehe.

YoMarK
28-02-2014, 13:14
Dit zal waarschijnlijk wel einde carriere zijn voor bv Henderson en Belfort (of nog een paar wedstrijden op een veel lager niveau cashen maar niet meedoen om de prijzen). Bigfoot zal wel melk spuiten door de octagon... Dit gaat betekenen dat een carriere na de 35 een stuk lastiger wordt.
Naja, zit je op TRT, dan spuit je dus legaal extra testosteron, maar moet je nog steeds aan de norm voldoen.
Je kunt ook best aan de (6:1)norm voldoen als je illegaal T gebruikt.

Maar voor die gasten word het wel erg ongeloofwaardig als ze dadelijk met een "normaal" T/E ratio rondlopen...terwijl ze daar eerst dus TRT voor nodig hadden.

Pahlavan
28-02-2014, 13:17
Naja, zit je op TRT, dan spuit je dus legaal extra testosteron, maar moet je nog steeds aan de norm voldoen.
Je kunt ook best aan de norm voldoen als je illegaal T gebruikt.

Dat klopt maar het is raar als een vechter die voorheen trt gebruikte nu dat trt is verboden alsnog dezelfde t/e ratio behoudt. Hun t/e ratio moet natuurlijk dalen en dat weet de commission ook lijkt mij. Natuurlijk is er nog steeds van alles mogelijk door op tijd te cyclen etc. maar daarom vind ik dat ze ook gewoon door moeten gaan met random testing.

Harrie Nak
28-02-2014, 14:43
Rampage heeft volgens mij wel eens gezegd dat TRT zo'n enorm verschil maakte dat hij het jammer vond dat hij er niet eerder om gevraagd heeft (heeft geloof ik alleen zijn laatste 2 UFC gevechten op TRT gevochten). Als een vechter dat zelf eerlijk toegeeft lijkt het mij dat de NSAC en de UFC een goede beslissing genomen hebben.

Dit zal waarschijnlijk wel einde carriere zijn voor bv Henderson en Belfort (of nog een paar wedstrijden op een veel lager niveau cashen maar niet meedoen om de prijzen). Bigfoot zal wel melk spuiten door de octagon... Dit gaat betekenen dat een carriere na de 35 een stuk lastiger wordt.Hoezo einde carriere? Die gaan gewoon lekker buiten Vegas vechten zolang het nog kan, en ze voor Dana White nog geld opleveren.

The Company
28-02-2014, 14:53
Hoezo einde carriere? Die gaan gewoon lekker buiten Vegas vechten zolang het nog kan, en ze voor Dana White nog geld opleveren.

De UFC en andere commissies volgen die van Nevada altijd dus over een paar maanden is het daar ook afgelopen met TRT.

Klassikl
28-02-2014, 15:56
Sommige hier hebben duidelijk het artikel niet gelezen. De UFC volgt deze beslissing en doet TRT in de ban. Ook buiten Vegas dus.

Willem033
28-02-2014, 16:17
Hoezo einde carriere? Die gaan gewoon lekker buiten Vegas vechten zolang het nog kan, en ze voor Dana White nog geld opleveren.

Haha heb jij t artikel wel gelezen?

Harrie Nak
28-02-2014, 16:45
Volgens mij hebben jullie moeite met lezen. Vooralsnog (!) is TRT alleen gebanned in Nevada, Brazilie, en door de UFC bij events waar er geen athletic commission als overkoepelend orgaan optreedt.

Pahlavan
28-02-2014, 16:45
One day after Nevada State Athletic Commission (NSAC) decided to ban the therapeutic use of testosterone (TRT) in MMA, Brazilian MMA Athletic Commission (CABMMA) follows the decision.

CABMMA’s medical director Dr. Marcio Tannure, who initially planned to debate the subject before making a final decision, announced on Sportv News that they will no longer grant exemptions for TRT in Brazil.

"We discussed this subject for a long time here at CABMMA," he said, "and, as we use Nevada’s athletic commission as a model, we decided to make the same decision here in Brazil and no longer grant TRT exemptions for any fighter."

CABMMA’s decision won’t be applied to UFC’s next card in Brazil, on March 23.

Dan Henderson, who takes on Mauricio Rua in the main event, will be granted a license to take TRT for the five-round fight, but it will be the last one in Brazil. Scheduled to fight Wanderlei Silva on May 31 in Brazil, Chael Sonnen won’t receive a TRT exemption.

T15Boxing
28-02-2014, 19:13
Oke dat is wel nice, Hendo nog een keer knallen met Shogun(denk dat hij daarna niets meer in te brengen heeft ook al stopt hij niet met vechten) en mischien dat Wanderlei's kansen tegen Sonnen nu toenemen.

Kemal
01-03-2014, 06:53
Nou dan kan het eindelijk een keer eerlijke gevechten opleveren.

Nelisje
01-03-2014, 12:43
Volgens mij hebben jullie moeite met lezen. Vooralsnog (!) is TRT alleen gebanned in Nevada, Brazilie, en door de UFC bij events waar er geen athletic commission als overkoepelend orgaan optreedt.

Ik dacht persoonlijk dat er bijna geen events buiten Nevada waren, maar kennelijk zijn t er toch een aantal. Als de andere athletic commisions volgen zal dat denk ik vrij snel gebeuren. Dus we wachten de komende paar weken af.

spangpang
01-03-2014, 15:16
Goed besluit! Dit is een stap in de goede richting...

Rougemonkey
01-03-2014, 17:05
Wat mij betreft heeft TRT nooit bestaan.

TRT is gewoon een soort eufemisme voor doping.

Een grote naive grap; lage testosteron waarde door steriode gebruik en daarom recht op legaal weer steriode? Echt een joke.

rene37
02-03-2014, 11:49
Ach suprise suprise, tegenwoordig zit toch iedereen aan de peptides. Who needs testosteron. Commissies zullen altijd achter de feiten aanlopen wat betreft doping. Welke peptides? IGF-1LR3/PEG-MGF/CJC1295/GH/GW-501516 etc ectc.. Er zijn er veel, heeeel veel. Succes gewenst aan de doping autoriteiten. En een eye opener voor degene die misschien dachten dat met de beslissing trt te verbannen er een "schone" sport zou komen.

Pahlavan
02-03-2014, 11:56
Ach suprise suprise, tegenwoordig zit toch iedereen aan de peptides. Who needs testosteron. Commissies zullen altijd achter de feiten aanlopen wat betreft doping. Welke peptides? IGF-1LR3/PEG-MGF/CJC1295/GH/GW-501516 etc ectc.. Er zijn er veel, heeeel veel. Succes gewenst aan de doping autoriteiten. En een eye opener voor degene die misschien dachten dat met de beslissing trt te verbannen er een "schone" sport zou komen.

Ik denk niet dat er iemand is die denkt dat dmv de trt ban de sport nu helemaal schoon is maar het feit dat legaal juicen (dat is het als het ware) is afgeschaft is natuurlijk wel positief.
Natuurlijk zullen er altijd vechters zijn (net als in andere sporten) die verboden middelen zullen proberen te gebruiken maar het feit dat in mma (als volgens mij de enige sport in amerika) je met een recept van je arts kon cheaten was bizar.

Asura
03-03-2014, 18:51
Sonnen werd om een reactie gevraagd door Fox Sports:

“The rules are the rules,” he declared. “Yesterday, it was legal; so quit complaining. Today, it’s illegal; so quit complaining. Testosterone is out.”
https://www.mmaweekly.com/chael-sonnen-on-nevadas-trt-ban-quit-complaining-testosterone-is-out

Ik vraag me af hoe dit Henderson, Sonnen, Belfort en anderen in de ring zal beïnvloeden.

Pahlavan
07-03-2014, 08:47
The walls are quickly closing in on the users of testosterone replacement therapy in mixed martial arts.

One week after the Nevada Athletic Commission shook up the sport by announcing a total ban on therapeutic use exemptions for the controversial practice, the California State Athletic Commission announced what in effect amounts to a ban.

The commission stated Thursday that the only way a competitor will be able to receive a TUE is through World Anti-Doping Agency standards, a considerably higher threshold than the system which has been in place.

As the rules are hashed out, in the interim, a total ban will be in effect.

"The California State Athletic Commission fully supports the Nevada State [sic] Athletic Commission's decision to eliminate Therapeutic Use Exemptions (TUE) for Testosterone Replacement Therapy (TRT) in boxing and Mixed Martial Arts," CSAC executive director Andy Foster stated in a written release. "California is a strong supporter of anti-doping efforts. As part of California's anti-doping efforts, the Commission recently began the rulemaking process to require meeting World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA) standards as the only way to obtain a TUE for TRT.

"This standard is so high that it is an effective ban except under the most extreme circumstances," Foster continued. "Until the rulemaking process is complete and the regulations are fully adopted, the Commission has a total ban on TRT. California remains committed to protecting the health and safety of athletes and having strict anti-doping standards is one of the ways this is accomplished."

While the NAC is considered the most influential commission in North America, since Las Vegas is the home to the highest volume of major events in both mixed martial arts and boxing, California hosts the biggest overall number of combat sports events, which makes CSAC an important player among commissions.

TRT came to the forefront in MMA after Chael Sonnen was suspended by California after improperly disclosing his usage leading up to his loss to Anderson Silva at UFC 117 in Oakland in 2010. The total ban is the latest in the state's efforts to grapple with the issue; in June, the state put a moratorium on future TUE exemptions while allowing those who already had been approved to keep doing so.

Minotauro
07-03-2014, 09:14
Schijnheilige mensen hier. Eerst wilden jullie allemaal TRT erin, omdat jullie de mooist mogelijke partijen wilden zien! Toen was er nog commentaar als je je muil open trok en anti TRT was. Nu is iedereen er positief over. Chapeau voor jullie standvastigheid

S.B.
07-03-2014, 13:09
Minotauro ik kom hier pas net kijken maar ik snap echt waarom mensen je blokken en je irritant vinden..

e-type
07-03-2014, 15:21
Yes. Young Padawan. Your turn to the dark side bad it is.

Turboknecht
07-03-2014, 15:25
http://youtu.be/UYZoxY3sawE

Bromios
07-03-2014, 15:27
Ik begrijp niet goed waarom je trt aan moet vragen. Je wordt alleen geschorst als je testo boven een bepaalde waarde is. Dus blijf je daar onder dan kun je doen wat je wilt. Daar veranderd nu toch niks aan ?

Turboknecht
07-03-2014, 15:29
Ik weet niet hoe het precies werkt, maar iemand hier op het forum heeft wel eens gezegd dat ze blijkbaar kunnen zien of je testosteron van jezelf is of uit een spuit komt. Dus ook al zit je binnen de marge, dan schijn je nog steeds problemen te kunnen krijgen. Maar goed, ik heb er geen verstand van. Misschien kan iemand die weet hoe het zit het even uitleggen. Anders zou je inderdaad gewoon binnen die gegeven ratio kunnen blijven en is er niets aan het handje.

Pahlavan
07-03-2014, 15:42
Ik begrijp niet goed waarom je trt aan moet vragen. Je wordt alleen geschorst als je testo boven een bepaalde waarde is. Dus blijf je daar onder dan kun je doen wat je wilt. Daar veranderd nu toch niks aan ?

Zoals Turboknecht al aangeeft kun je idd zien of je test.waarde natuurlijk is of synthetisch is.
vraag me niet hoe dat precies gaat want ik heb er ook weinig verstand van maar ik las dat het iig te achterhalen is.

e-type
07-03-2014, 17:19
Hier staat wat over de tests:

http://thinksteroids.com/articles/chael-sonnen-testosterone-replacement-therapy/

"If a high percentage of an individual’s testosterone is from injection, the isotope test will be failed because the steroid molecules are detectable as being ultimately of plant origin rather than animal origin.
(Synthetic steroids use diosgenin, extracted from the wild yam, as the starting material. Plants incorporate carbon isotopes into the steroid skeleton in a slightly different ratio than animals do.)"