PDA

View Full Version : Manager releases Alistair Overeem

Naj85
09-04-2014, 03:14
Blackzilians team leader, Glenn Robinson on decision to stop managing Alistair Overeem

Blackzilian team chief, Glenn Robinson commented on why he released Overeem from his management, the break with Melvin Guillard, and also gives a manager's perspective on the proposed UFC uniform.

The Blackzilian camp has passed its 2 year mark and seems to have settled in as a bonafide supercamp, filled with top notch athletes. With names like Rashad Evans, Tyrone Spong, Anthony Johnson and Abel Trujillo gracing their roster, along with a laundry list of great prospects, they're sitting in a very enviable position.

A couple of big names are no longer making roll call, though. Melvin Guillard had a very public break with the Blackzilians almost a year ago, and more recently, although not public knowledge, Alistair Overeem has separated from the camp and is searching for yet another team to call home.

In a recent interview with Bloody Elbow, Blackzilian team chief, Glenn Robinson commented on why he released Overeem from his management, the break with Melvin Guillard, and also gives a manager's perspective on the proposed UFC uniform. Here's what he had to say:

Melvin Guillard

I stopped repping Melvin about six months ago. I was at a point where I just wanted to focus on a certain number of guys, and I just didn't feel I was the appropriate manager for Melvin. I had a hard time getting hold of him, so I ended up having to send a text to a good friend of his explaining that I needed to bow out. Malki (Kawa) is repping him now, and from what I can see, Malki is doing an awesome job with him. I think Melvin is a great person and will excel in the WSOF.

Malki Kawa

Our issues are not resolved. Malki doesn't like me and we kind of have our feelings about each other, but life goes on, the sun comes up and there's nothing I can do about it but move on.

UFC Uniforms

I have not spoken to the UFC about it from a management perspective, but I do own Jaco, and I hate to see that we won't be able to be in the UFC. Hopefully there will be room on the shorts or shirts for our guys. I do think that realistically, on an overall basis, it's a very positive change for the vast majority of the fighters.

There are a few fighters that are high up the chain that make a lot of money from sponsors, but there is a tremendous number of fighters that don't, so I think on that overall basis, it will help a whole lot more than it will hurt. I think it's a strong move in support of the fighters.

Tyrone Spong

In my opinion, Tyrone will be victorious this weekend. He's had some personal tragedy recently, but he's training well and looks great. He's strong and in good spirits.

His personal tragedies were the death of a close friend, and the brutal murder of his uncle in Suriname. Tyrone had just spent Christmas and New Year's with him, too. It was his mother's brother and they were very close. It hit the family very hard and took them some time to get over.

He channeled all the energy and pain and frustration into his training. He's dedicating this fight to his uncle and friend that passed away, so for them, he will make sure he's victorious.

Alistair Overeem

Tyrone and Alistair have not trained together in a very long time. He hasn't trained with the team in a long time. His last camp he did in Thailand, and the camp before that he did in our gym, but he brought in his own trainers except for Kenny Monday, and he did all his training late at night. He had his own sparring partners, and basically did everything on his own.

He's not on our roster anymore, to be honest. It was a hard call for me, but I think it was something that was mutually in both our heads. I ended up making that decision because I didn't feel I was the right person for him. I felt that there were people out there that could better take care of him. I had always told him that if I didn't think I could do the best job for him, I would bow out, so that's what I did.

I still wish him the best. I feel like he has the ability to be the champ very easily. When he's on his game, he's just devastating. I think the best Alistair is yet to be seen.

I don't think he's talking to anyone yet as far as new management, but I know he's shopping around for a new camp. I've heard rumors, but nothing that I want to throw out on his behalf.

Anthony Johnson

Anthony has matured so much as a fighter. He's really fast and very strong. Everybody talks about Phil Davis' wrestling, but Anthony knows how to wrestle. He's not new to it. I think Phil is a tremendous athlete and a great competitor, but I believe Anthony will win this fight. He's going to show the world who he's become.

Rashad Evans

His recovery is coming along very fast. The physical therapists are all saying he's way ahead of schedule. He's kept his weight down throughout his recovery and has been working out the whole time. He's moving very fast now. He's going to be coming back in the fall, better than ever.

Naj85
09-04-2014, 03:32
Steven Marrocco
April 9, 2:15 AM
FAVORITE ARTICLE
One week after a manager’s fiery interview, Alistair Overeem (37-13 MMA, 2-2 UFC) officially is the latest talent acquisition of VFD Marketing.

MMAjunkie today confirmed VFD president John Fosco has signed the UFC heavyweight after his exit from Authentic Sports Management, which was first reported by BloodyElbow.com.

“While I made some good friends in the process and have a lot of respect for (ASM head) Glenn Robinson, I felt it was time to move forward into a more structured business environment catered to my specific needs,” Overeem said in a prepared statement. “I am fully confident that making this move is the best choice for me at this point in my career.”

Overeem signed with ASM in 2012 after an acrimonious split with his longtime management firm Golden Glory, who initiated legal proceedings that ended in an out-of-court settlement the same year.

The 33-year-old former Strikeforce champ recently returned to the win column by outpointing ex-champ Frank Mir at UFC 169 in a dominant performance. Yet it failed to please UFC President Dana White, who later said Overeem should have finished the bout.

Overeem later said he pursued a more conservative game plan to protect his job after back-to-back losses against Antonio Silva and Travis Browne put him close to a pink slip.

The Dutch-English fighter, who now resides in Florida, remains unbooked. Recently, he drew headlines for turning down a proposed fight with Junior dos Santos, whom he was scheduled to fight for the title at UFC 146 before a failed drug test nixed the opportunity. Overeem explained he had a rib injury and was unable to fight, but he again drew White’s ire.

Fosco this past week spoke to MMAjunkie about the UFC’s sponsorship market and blamed managers for creating situations in which fighters are forced to accept meager payouts for backing.

For more on the UFC’s upcoming schedule, stay tuned to the UFC Rumors section of the site.

appelsap
09-04-2014, 04:44
Top marketing bedrijf, en als ie wat gigs kan doen met de modellen die daar onder contract staan heeft hij aan vrouwelijk schoon ook niet te klagen:). Ze organiseren ook goede feesten hier....

Maar belangrijker lijkt het me om nu een goede gym te vinden om te trainen. VDF kan meer geld voor hem verdienen als hij wint dan als hij verliest......

rollermanskunk
09-04-2014, 19:52
Ook Siyar weg bij de Blackzillians. Zie zijn twitter:
https://twitter.com/SiyarTheKiller

e-type
09-04-2014, 20:22
Alistair Overeem to undergo elbow surgery Wednesday
april 09, 2014 8:37 by Ariel Helwani

Alistair Overeem is going under the knife for the very first time Wednesday morning.

The UFC heavyweight will undergo surgery in Florida to correct a pinched nerve in his elbow, Overeem informed MMAFighting.com. He wouldn't specify which elbow was bothering him.

"Initially, I didn't realize what it was and thought it would pass," he said. "I thought [my injured] rib was worse, which it isn't. So after 19 years of abuse to my body, I'm proud to now only have my first surgery."

Overeem said his injured rib, which prevented him from accepting a fight against Junior dos Santos earlier this year, is "good as healed." His doctor informed him the recovery time post-surgery would be approximately three weeks.

Overeem (37-13, 1 NC) snapped a two-fight losing streak in February when he defeated Frank Mir via unanimous decision at UFC 169.

MMA Fighting / Ariel Helwani

Klassikl
10-04-2014, 01:03
Benieuwd welke gym hij terecht komt. Misschien wel helemaal geen en creert hij voor elke fight wel een eigen camp. Wat hij toch eigenlijk al doet.

Willem033
10-04-2014, 02:16
Greg Jackson.

Son & Breugel!
10-04-2014, 05:49
UFC heavyweight Alistair Overeem set to join Greg Jackson's camp
It looks like there's a new addition to the Jackson's MMA roster.

There's been plenty of news surrounding Alistair Overeem (http://www.mmafighting.com/fighter/32/alistair-overeem) in recent days, and none of the items has to do with an actual upcoming fight. On this evening's episode of UFC Tonight, Ariel Helwani confirmed Overeem plans to head to Albuquerque to train atGreg Jackson's (http://www.mmafighting.com/fighter/2246/greg-jackson) gym in New Mexico.This story comes just a day after Bloody Elbow's Steph Daniels interviewed Blackzilians' head Glenn Robinson (http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2014/4/8/5595008/blackzilians-team-leader-glenn-robinson-decision-to-stop-managing-alistair-overeem), who explained why he is no longer managing Overeem. The 33-year-old left the Florida-based camp earlier this year and subsequently spent time in Thailand to prep for his UFC 169 (http://www.mmafighting.com/fight-card/580/ufc-169) fight against Frank Mir (http://www.mmafighting.com/fighter/28/frank-mir).
It's been a whirlwind trip for Overeem, who had a messy split with Golden Glory prior to joining the Blackzilians in 2012. In somewhat related news, Overeem also signed a deal with marketing agency VFM Marketing (per MMA Junkie) (http://mmajunkie.com/2014/04/ufc-heavyweight-alistair-overeem-signs-with-vfd-marketing/), which also has fellow Jackson's fighters Clay Guida (http://www.mmafighting.com/fighter/354/clay-guida)and Travis Browne (http://www.mmafighting.com/fighter/20/travis-browne), who you may recall KO'd Overeem last August.
There's still no word on any potential fights for Alistair. As of right now, the only available top 10 heavyweights are Mark Hunt and Josh Barnett.

blackadder
10-04-2014, 10:49
Dus hij gaat LnP aan zijn arsenaal toevoegen.

Brainthief
10-04-2014, 11:08
Valt wel mee toch, ook genoeg knokkers bij Greg Jackson zoals cowboy.

Turboknecht
10-04-2014, 12:38
Ben benieuwd wat dat gaat doen voor hem.

Klassikl
10-04-2014, 12:43
Nu maar hopen dat hij er ook echt gaat trainen. En niet gebruik maken van de faciliteiten...

Turboknecht
10-04-2014, 12:44
Nu maar hopen dat hij er ook echt gaat trainen. En niet gebruik maken van de faciliteiten...

Ja inderdaad ja. Dat is nog maar de vraag natuurlijk.

Kemal
10-04-2014, 19:20
Hopen dat hij daar kan knallen!

Pahlavan
10-04-2014, 20:36

Zoiets zal die bij een grote/bekende camp als Jackson's MMA niet flikken. Die hebben hem niet zo zeer nodig, eerder andersom. Plus ze hebben daar zoveel sterren rondlopen waardoor Alistair niet 'de man' is daar. Maar dat is natuurlijk ook goed voor hem, trainen met vechters van hoog niveau.