PDA

View Full Version : Cejudo weigert te vechten in Las Vegas

Fasada
17-09-2015, 10:45
Olympisch kampioen Henry Cejudo heeft gister de media laten weten niet meer te vechten in Las Vegas en hiermee de NAC boycot. De reden hier van is hij erg duidelijk over; hij heeft geen vertrouwen meer in de commissie als bond.

Zijn boycot komt een aantal dagen na de belachelijke beslissing van de commissie om Nick Diaz voor 5 jaar te schorsen. Zijn statement is een kracht signaal en zeker van iemand die een rijzende ster is in de UFC en veel ervaring heeft als Olympische deelnemer op het gebied van doping testen. Het steekt hem dan vooral dat Diaz niet zozeer een te hoge straf heeft gekregen maar het feit dat zij hem al hebben veroordeeld zonder ook maar echt naar de zaak inhoudelijk te kijken.

Vooral het feit dat hij drie keer is getest en tweemaal negatief heeft gescoord door een organisatie die wordt ondersteunt door de WADA, een label die zwaar weegt als het gaat om doping laboratoria. De positieve test kwam juist van een laboratorium die niet deze keurmerk heeft wat natuurlijk wel veel vraagtekens op roept. Het feit dat de commissie hun test genoeg vond om Diaz hiervoor zwaar te straffen en hier zijn carrière mee in gevaar brengt is voor Cejudo onbegrijpelijk.

Zij verklaring is een sterk signaal wat misschien meer vechters moeten doen en gebruikt zijn invloed om toch aan te geven dat hij totaal niet eens is met de gang van zaken. Zijn verklaring is professioneel en goed onderbouwd en heeft met deze stap heeft hij zeker nieuwe fans erbij gekregen, ondergetekende is daar één van.

"I am absolutely appalled at how the NAC handled the Nick Diaz matter. The issue here is not the magnitude of the penalties assessed to Nick Diaz, it is the process, or lack thereof, in determining Nick Diaz's guilt or innocence. Significant discrepancies existed between the test samples, and the NAC has an absolute obligation to resolve those discrepancies before the penalty phase of the disciplinary hearing was heard. What the NAC did was ignore due process and go straight to the penalty phase.

Forget the facts and existence of evidence, let's get down to the business of punishment. For the NAC to ignore the negative test results from Sports Medicine Research and Testing Laboratories (SMRTL), a WADA-approved testing facility specializing in the detection of performance enhancing drugs (PEDs), in favor of a "questionable" result from a non-approved and non-specialized PED facility is simply astonishing. For Chairman Aguilar to also state, "I think we do have a positive test today," is an appalling disregard of the full and careful consideration of all the facts. I believe it is an abuse of power under the color of authority, and a direct affront to the very concept and practice of due process. For NAC to further justify their decision based on the assertion that they don't have the budget to use a WADA-approved testing facility is like saying, justice and due process only applies if it comes at a deep discount and is affordable. The NAC decision does not appear to be based on fact or evidence, but on emotional arrogance.

I sincerely hope that the UFC enters the dialogue on this issue. If not publicly, then privately. It is very unfortunate, but I feel it's prudent to let the UFC know that Henry Cejudo will not be fighting in Nevada. I simply have no confidence that the NAC can manage a fair and credible testing process, or will act in a fair and unbiased manner. Henry has been tested well over a hundred times under the USOC/USADA program and never had a positive test result. That is because he has never used a banned substance, but also because, in each and every case, the testing was done by competent and unbiased personnel under a credible program utilizing WADA accredited labs.

I personally applauded the UFC for imposition of their anti-doping policy, as it comes with the legacy and credibility of USADA, as well as appropriate protocols and processes to ensure fair and credible testing. The opposite appears true with respect to the NAC. Until the NAC testing process can be independently reviewed, its findings made public, and corrective action taken, I personally do not believe it is a safe or credible place to conduct business. That includes a review of the recent actions and competencies of Commission members.
Others may want to roll the dice in Nevada, but I for one do not feel the NAC is capable of conducting itself in a manner consistent with their mission statement, appropriate enforcement of existing regulations, conducting business in a fair and unbiased manner, or the exercise of due process in their enforcement actions."