PDA

View Full Version : ONE Championship: Defending Honor - Shinya Aoki vs. Eduard Folayang

Kemal
31-08-2016, 07:59
Champ Shinya Aoki meets Eduard Folayang on Nov. 11 at 'ONE Championship: Defending Honor'

Shinya Aoki will soon go for his 10th straight victory and third consecutive ONE championship title defense in November.

Officials today announced lightweight champion Aoki (39-6) will meet challenger Eduard Folayang (16-5) at “ONE Championship: Defending Honor.”

The event takes place Nov. 11 at Singapore Indoor Stadium in Kallang, Singapore, and it streams as an online pay-per-view in North America.

“I have been in the sport for many years and have fought the toughest challengers across the world, but this is the first time I will be fighting a strong Filipino warrior,” Aoki stated. “I am excited to test my skills against a fighter representing the Philippines. Eduard Folayang is a great competitor with solid all-around skills. It should be an exciting matchup.”

Aoki is a former DREAM and Shooto champ who also competed for PRIDE. However, the 33-year-old Japanese fighter has expressed no interest in fighting for the UFC, so his level of competition hasn’t quite matched his overseas counterparts, which has kept him out of the USA TODAY Sports/MMAjunkie MMA lightweight rankings. However, he’s faced some notable names during his current 17-1 run that stretches back to 2010. Since winning the belt with a win over Kotetsu Boku, he’s posted title defenses over Kamal Shalorus and Koji Ando. He most recently scored a TKO victory over Kazushi Sakuraba in a welterweight bout at Rizin FF 1.

Folayang, who fought at the first ONE Championship event in 2011, is 6-3 overall in the promotion. The 31-year-old Filipino fighter and former URCC champion is coming off back-to-back decision victories over Tetsuya Yamada and Adrian Pang, which are part of an overall 4-1 run.