PDA

View Full Version : Muay Thai legend Nokweed Davy overleden

payap
31-08-2016, 18:38
Zo juist bereikte mij het bericht dat de Thaise Muay Thai legende Nokweed Davy is overleden. Nokweed zal zo ongeveer 50 jaar zijn geweest.

In 2005 heb ik nog op Koh Samui bij het WMC Lamai Camp bij hem getraind samen met onze sportschool de Budo Academy Physical.

https://scontent-amt2-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/295982_129235797183677_1829781068_n.jpg?oh=08fc3a4 e2f486afdff8a62338d5f26b0&oe=5843C4D4

Nokweed Davy staande uiterst rechts met de groep van Budo Academy Physical in juni 2005 op Koh Samui.

Nokweed was in zijn topdagen, die lag in de golden era van het MuayThai, een van Thailands beste vechters en berucht om zijn traptechnieken. Hij won hier vele titels en vocht uiteindelijk ruim 400 partijen.

Hij bevocht op latere leeftijd vele buitenlanders zoals Dany Billy en de Nederlanders Gerald Zwane en Iwan Grando. Zijn meest beroemde en extreme partij is wellicht met Jerome le Banner op K-1 regels. Hoewel zijn topdagen in de 55 - 60 kg lagen was hij toen hij ouder was zo een 70 kg en bevocht hij de ruim 40 kg zwaardere jerome Le Banner.

https://scontent-amt2-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/378876_129235743850349_1155408325_n.jpg?oh=b0eda7d a7ce91bff00503796089a29bc&oe=5843002F

Boven samen met Nokweed Davy (zwarte shirt) trainen op de pads.

RIP Nokweed

payap
31-08-2016, 18:42
Mooie anekdote van Paul Slowinski over Nokweed Davy;

Was it then, when you got your nickname "The Sting"? I assume it refers to your powerful leg kicks.

Paul Slowinski:

Yes Thai boxing is all about the kicks and knee strikes, these are the most valuable techniques in terms of judging. So I started to train kicks really hard and the person who taught me was legendary Nokweed Davy. But before I met him I had fought many fights in 76 kg category and rarely lost one. During one of the tournaments I was accosted by some guy. He pointed at me and said that he wanted to fight me. I didn't know the guy and I replied: "No problem, come on!". My manager Fox told me: "Paul, for goodness sake, be careful it's Nokweed Davy!". I'd heard of him but never had met him before. He was 7-time Lumpini Stadium Champion and notable of his extremely fast and powerful kicks that broke ribs and damaged internal organs of many of his rivals. What I'm going to tell you right now is not a good promotion of Muay Thai, but he was infamous especially of one thing. Once during a fight he had kicked a guy in the neck so hard that he killed him. Nonetheless, our fight had been already set. Unexpectedly I won it quite easy, cause Nokweed totally disregarded me and didn't train before the bout. It was quite a sensation because he had never been knocked out by a white man before. He took the loss very personal - it meant for him a great disgrace. Next day I got a call from Davy's manager that his client wanted a revenge. I again agreed and we met six weeks later. This time he was in excellent shape and the fight went to distance. Nokweed was kicking the living shit out of me for almost entire 5 rounds. He kicked so hard that my hands became so bruised and painful that after the fight I wasn't able to hold a glass of water, eat with them or brush my teeth. Anyway, out of the sudden, 60, maybe 30 seconds left in the fight, he made a mistake. He dropped his hand and I countered with a high kick. I knocked him out for the second time. Man it was a fluke!

Had it been your hardest fight ever?

Paul Slowinski:

It had. I'm telling you, I was losing it right from the start till the very last seconds. I was really lucky to win.

Those two fights against Davy made you famous in Thailand...

Paul Slowinski:

Yeah and eventually Nokweed became my coach. Once he came to my club and gave me some tips how to kick better. My manager saw that and offered him a job of my personal coach. He trained me for more than 4 years. My low kicks are the result of those trainings.

payap
31-08-2016, 18:43
Nokweed Davy VS Jerome Le Banner

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=msjDN9pgT-w

Kemal
31-08-2016, 20:31
rip

lukashenko
01-09-2016, 00:52
heel vervelend om te horen .
ik ben 2x3 maanden op koh samui geweest en heb al die tijd getraint bij wmc camp
(met een paar uitstapjes naar pro samui in chaweng)
ik heb veel prive lesjes genomen bij nokweed..
goede kerel .. en een legendarische vechter
rip

payap
08-09-2016, 20:23
Hieronder een link van een mooi artikel over Nokweed Davy na aanleiding van zijn overlijden.

http://fightland.vice.com/blog/rip-nokweed-davy