PDA

View Full Version : Bellator 170: Chael Sonnen vs. Tito Ortiz

Kemal
19-10-2016, 08:56
Chael Sonnen vs. Tito Ortiz set for Jan. 21 in California as Bellator 170 headliner

As expected, “The Bad Guy” will indeed face “The Huntington Beach Bad Boy.”

MMAjunkie today confirmed with Bellator officials that Chael Sonnen (28-14-1 MMA, 0-0 BMMA) and Tito OrtizOrtiz (18-12-1 MMA, 2-1 BMMA) will face off at Bellator 170 on Jan. 21 at Great Wester Forum in Inglewood, Calif. The booking was first announced on ESPN.

Sonnen, 39, retired from MMA after a stint coaching the UFC flagship show “The Ultimate Fighter.” He was scheduled to meet rival coach Wanderlei Silva at UFC 175 following the season, but Silva was pulled from the bout after evading a Nevada State Athletic Commission drug test. Sonnen was then scheduled to face Vitor Belfort at the event, but it was announced he had failed multiple drug tests.

Sonnen retired from the sport following the controversy and has taken numerous roles as a color commentator, including with WSOF, while also running a successful podcast.

Known for a brash attitude and willingness to use near-professional wrestling style tactics to sell a fight, Sonnen gave a simple answer to the AP when asked why he returned to the sport after denying interest in a return.

“I’m a heel,” Sonnen said, referencing the pro wrestling term for a bad guy. “Heels lie.”

Ortiz wasn’t Sonnen’s only target – he welcomed fights all over the weight spectrum: a middleweight matchup with Rory MacDonald (18-4 MMA, 0-0 BMMA); a long-awaited grudge match with Silva; and even heavyweight Fedor Emelianenko (36-4) should the ex-PRIDE champ make it to Bellator.

Ortiz, however, was the focal point of Sonnen’s initial pitch – a light heavyweight start to his revamped career.

“I look at him, like, ‘Tito, you know I could whip your ass,’” he said. “And he gives me that exact same look. Every time we’re in the same room, it’s like this big alpha male contest. If the ‘Bad Boy’ wants a piece of the ‘Bad Guy,’ all he’s got to do is say my name.”

kooivechter
20-10-2016, 21:20
10 jaar geleden was deze partij top