PDA

View Full Version : After a year without a fight, Rockhold is sick of waiting

Soulbringer320
21-07-2017, 01:11
Luke Rockhold has not fought since losing his title to Michael Bisping at UFC 199 on June 4, 2016. He was scheduled to rematch Jacare Souza at UFC Fight Night 101 on November 27, 2016, but pulled out on November 1 after sustaining an undisclosed injury. Now fully recovered, he wants to fights, but multiple fights have fallen through.

“I’ve been wanting to fight myself for some time,” said Rockhold during a recent appearance on Submission Radio (https://www.youtube.com/user/submissionradioau). “I just get delayed, week after week, month after month and I’m pretty sick of it. The division, it’s hard to find somebody that wants to fight these days.”

“First it was June, it was Anderson. They offered the fight, I accepted the fight, they tried to make the fight. It was a short-notice fight, it was about five weeks for me and I was definitely not in shape but I was willing to go to Brazil and get it done, and Anderson, you know, copped out of that one. And then they switched their gears towards Gegard Mousasi. I was ready to make the fight happen July 8th but it wasn’t – they were actually looking at Anderson and Gegard both for July 8th and 29th and Gegard obviously went in his direction. I don’t know his thoughts but Anderson didn’t want to fight and so I don’t know. I’m just left in the wind and I’m pretty sick of it. I need a fight.”

Rockhold recently commented that the middleweight division was f***ed, and had “no interesting fights.”
“At the time, yeah, we needed some movement, we got a little bit. Something happened at least with Whittaker and Romero,” said Rockhold. “And we’ll see what’s to come but it’s definitely a weird spot right now. The division was so strong and it got stalled out and it’s got some issues. Some guys won’t fight other guys and we’re stuck, stuck in a holding pattern. So we’ll see what comes of the division, but I’m just trying to get a somewhat relevant fight and put myself back to where I need to be.”

So who does Rockhold want to fight next?
“There’s probably a few guys and we might just have to settle and make something happen,” he said. “So we are talking, we’re in the midst of it, in the heat of it all right now. So we’ll see. We’ll see what comes to surface, but something will arise here shortly. … Someone in the top ten.”
With the who ambiguous, Rockhold does have a when, sort of.

“September is looking good,” he said. “We’ll see. My body feels good, I’m ready to fight and that falls into my timeframe. So I don’t want to postpone much further than that. I’ve been ready to fight since June and July and we’ve postponed week after week and just trying to find me an opponent, so I’m pretty sick of it. I am ready to fight. I’m sure you’ll see something happen here shortly.”

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H9SeuaEpHVE