PDA

View Full Version : Rodrigo Gracie Interview

Nicky
23-09-2004, 07:14
When Rodrigo Gracie announced choice by K-1 over Pride, lots of people didn't understand the reasons of the changing. From his residence in United States, Renzo Gracie's cousin conceded an exclusive interview to team TATAME, where he talks about his leaving from Pride. He also comments about his future in Japan, his training in US and what did Renzo said when he first knew about him and K-1.....

In the end of 2003 you switched Pride by K-1. What did happen?

I was having problems with my manager in Japan and decided to move on. Now I hired Mike Kogan, from K-1. Over there I do have a better life and they will pay me better also.

Why haven't you fight from the new organization?

It seems like K-1 Romanex ended. So they will do another event, but is kind of a secret. K-1 would getting together with another group and I am sure in early November it must happen something good. On the last one, when Royler fought Genki Sudo, they also called me, but it was kind of late..., two weeks before the show. By that time I was handling a new academy and I was not ready. I I decided to not do the fight.

How long have you been living in Unites States? How is your preparation?

I live here since 1991 and I train at my gym, in Limbrook, with my students. I practice Muay Thai in Brooklin and train Boxing and also do physical preparation in New Jersey. Three times a week I go to Manhattan to train my cousin Renzo.

When you switched Pride by K-1, people were saying you hid the information from Renzo...

When I first thought about moving, the very first thing I did was inform Renzo. Then I looked after Royce, who also is my cousin. He helped me to close a new deal with K-1. I've never cheated anyone. The only one that didn't understand was the Pride Japanese, because they don't know about my situation with my ex manager.

How things are between you and Pride?

No way! I want to make it clear I've never had problems with Pride. My problem was my manager. Pride always treated good.