PDA

View Full Version : remy heeft er zin in

Jarno
24-09-2004, 17:41
The K-1 Final Elimination Tournament, one of the most highly-anticipated fight sport events of the year, is now mere days away. Two of the combatants to watch are Battle at the Bellagio III Champion Mighty Mo of the United States, and Defending K-1 World Grand Prix Champion Remy Bonjasky of the Netherlands. Both men arrived in Japan this week fit and ready for this Saturday's event, which will feature eight fights in a one-match format, the winners advancing to the K-1 World Grand Prix Final at Tokyo Dome this December 4th.

A phalanx of Japanese media descended on Remy Bonjasky at Tokyo's Narita Airport when he arrived Tuesday. Looking dapper and fit as usual, the Dutch Muay Thai stylist assured all that he would fight his bout against former Sumo Yokozuna Akebono as a champion. "There will be no running away," he smiled, "except if Akebono runs away."

With his flying knees and spectacular kicking attacks and flying knees, the 28 year-old Bonjasky is the ne plus ultra of finesse in the K-1 ring -- if he were a car, he would be a sleek and fast Ferrari. Akebono, on the other hand, is the biggest fighter in K-1, standing 203cm and weighing in 215kg -- all power, a veritable bulldozer. In close quarters, a bulldozer can mess up a Ferrari, and Bonjasky has to know that. Still, the Dutch fighter said that he would take the fight to Akebono.

"I see Akebono as a fighter with a big heart," said Bonjasky. "Stepping into K-1 almost with no technique and experience and fighting with experienced fighters, this is not easy to do. But, business is business so I will knock him out, and show the K-1 fans a big guy falling down."

Bonjasky outlined his training and strategy for the bout: "I trained to improve my power punch, I had more boxing training than usual, twice a day and three to four times a week. I plan to use my punching and try to be quick, as Akebono moves slowly. In the first round, I'll torture him, and in the second round, hopefully I'll knock him out. To do it with flying knee or flying high kick, that would be good!"

Also in Japan and raring to go is Californian Mighty Mo, who recently turned 34 and is clearly in his prime as a fighter. After upsetting favorite Carter Williams in the Battle at the Bellagio II this April, the stocky fighter dispatched three challengers to win the Battle at the Bellagio III in August. That victory put him into the Final Elimination as America's representative in this year's K-1 World Grand Prix.

Standing 185cm and weighing in at 125kg, Mo has the sort of build that dictates a hard, in-your-face style of fighting. Sparring at Gold's Gym in near the seaside industrial center of Kawasaki on Wednesday, Mo took time to talk with the media.

"I want to be the best, so I have been training hard, I picked up my kicks a little bit, worked on staying focused," said the fierce-looking but soft spoken fighter.

Mighty earned his nickname when, while working in construction, a house collapsed around him and he walked out with but a tiny scratch. Rugby, American football and wrestling helped mold Mo into the tough customer he is today.

"My strength speaks for itself," said Mo. "The way I can take a punch, and throw a punch. My best punches are my right hook and my overhand right, but I like the left too."

Mo's opponent at the Budokan will be Trinidadian-Canadian fighter Gary Goodridge, something of a brawler and tough guy himself.

"I know I can take Goodridge's punch, but can he take mine?" said Mo, who has never in his career lost a fight by KO. "What it will come down to is who has the strongest chin."

Mo's trainer Eddy Millis, of the famed Shark Tank Gym, had this to say about the fight: "Goodridge is like a cat, he has nine lives and just keeps on coming. But Mo will beat him." How? "Well, Mo has a secret weapon!"

Millis would not divulge Mo's secret weapon, but it is clear that this camp has been doing its homework, building on Mo's strengths and working on some new techniques while analyzing Goodridge's style and looking for weaknesses.

K-1 fans will see, on September 25, how Mo's and Bonjasky's game plans play out in the ring.

The K-1 Final Elimination kicks off at 17h00 Japan time on Saturday September 25 at the historic Nippon Budokan, and will be same-day broadcast in Japan on the Fuji TV network. Check the K-1 Official Website (www.k-1gp.net) for full coverage soon after the final bell.

redjuh
24-09-2004, 18:00
ik heb er iig zin an

Jarno
24-09-2004, 18:15
ik ook verwacht echt veel van de wedstrijden die op de card staan hoe ze ook lopen op de partij van remy na dan want ik hoop echt dat hij akebono laat zien dat k1 geen plaats is voor hem

Highline
24-09-2004, 18:19
hey voodoo, zaterdag /zondag nog niet naar de uitslagen kijken he. die dingen staan ineens op mijn pc (ik download niet he maar ze staan er altijd ineens op mijn pc als ik 's ochtends wakker word en de pc aan gestaan heeft) dan kunnen we hem of samen kijken of ik leen hem aan jou ;) dan blijven de wedstrijden spannender om te zien

Jarno
24-09-2004, 18:22
hey voodoo, zaterdag /zondag nog niet naar de uitslagen kijken he. die dingen staan ineens op mijn pc (ik download niet he maar ze staan er altijd ineens op mijn pc als ik 's ochtends wakker word en de pc aan gestaan heeft) dan kunnen we hem of samen kijken of ik leen hem aan jou ;) dan blijven de wedstrijden spannender om te zien

goed idee :thumbs:
(maar kan mezelf denk toch niet bedwingen om ff naar die uitslagen te kijken :lol: )

Highline
24-09-2004, 18:26
haha ik ook niet maar ga het wel proberen