PDA

View Full Version : Jones - Johnson spoiler!

Makijs
26-09-2004, 10:21
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/boxing/3690784.stm
Johnson floors Jones jnr

Makijs
26-09-2004, 10:25
http://www.maxboxing.com/fischer/fischer092604.asp

Johnson Ends the 'RJ Era' with Ninth-Round KO
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Finishing what Antonio Tarver started last November, Glen Johnson may have ended the career of one of the most accomplished boxers of the last 25 years by knocking Roy Jones Jr. out with one punch in the ninth round of their IBF light heavyweight title fight that took place in Memphis, Tennessee Saturday night.

Johnson, now 41-9-2 (28), out-worked Jones from the onset of the fight, attacking the former four-division champ for all three minutes of the first round before settling down and diligently working his way inside behind a strong jab, hard over-hand rights and steady pressure.

Jones, now 49-3 (38), attempted to counter punch his hard-charging opponent, often with his back to the ropes, but though he landed some sharp lefts to Johnson's body in the furious first round and teed-off with some lightening fast combinations in the fifth round (after being rocked by an over-hand right) the long-time claimant to the mythical title of "pound-for-pound best" fought without passion or a sense of urgency.

The series of left hooks to Johnson's body and head that landed in the fifth round was the last statement that Jones, 35, would make in the fight, and probably his distinguished career. Johnson, also 35, stalked his lackadaisical prey in rounds six, seven and eight, landing his jab almost at will from the outside before out-hustling Jones on the inside.

Between the seventh and eighth rounds, Jones' trainer Alton Merkerson told his fighter to "lay hands" on the other man, but it was Johnson who out-landed Jones by a 3-to-1 margin. The end came at the start of the ninth when Johnson landed an over-hand right to the left ear of a seemingly uninterested Jones.

Just as he did versus Tarver this past May, Jones' body went limp and dropped to the canvass, where he lay disturbingly lifeless for referee Bill Clancy's 10 count and for many tense minutes after the fight was halted 48 seconds into the round.

Johnson retained his IBF title and is now in position to unify light heavyweight belts with Tarver or seek other big-money bouts against the likes of middleweight champion Bernard Hopkins.

"I'll fight any man," said Johnson afterward. ""I'm not the best in the world; I'm just the man who is willing to fight the best."

The best used to be Roy Jones, but he lost something in the last year.

Last November, Jones didn't have "it" as he struggled to out-point Tarver in what was up until that point the toughest fight of his career. Going down in weight after beefing up to 200 pounds to take on John Ruiz was the consensus rationalization for his flat performance in that fight. In the rematch with Tarver five months ago, Jones was caught with an over-hand left in the second round and knocked out cold. Jones said he was in shape and healthy for the fight, but also stated that he just couldn't get up for fighters like Tarver at this stage of his career.

Question: if Jones couldn't get "up" for Tarver, how was he going to do it for Johnson? Answer: He wasn't.

Jones didn't have "it" versus Johnson. He'll probably never have "it" again as a professional fighter.

After 25 years in boxing, 52 professional fights, six world titles in four weight classes, and millions of dollars in purse money, it seems as though the thrill is gone for Roy Jones. All that is left is the agony of defeat.

Getting old is a bitch, isn't it?

One and half years and three fights ago, Jones easily out-pointed heavyweight title-holder John Ruiz. Many fans and some pundits called him the greatest fighter of our era, if not all time. Saturday night he was pummeled and knocked out by a guy with nine losses. A guy who was considered to be a journeyman at super middleweight. A guy who was beat up and knocked out by Hopkins at middleweight.

The speed is still there, but reflexes aren't. The power is gone, and at light heavyweight, it never really was there. The confidence is gone. All that is left is pride. And pride by itself can get a fighter killed.

Pride is what got Jones to take this fight when common sense told him to hang up the gloves after losing to Tarver. Pride is what kept Jones in the ring, 20 minutes after the fight had been called off. He did not want to be carried out - not on a stretcher and not by his team.

If he fights again, he may not be lucky enough to be too stubborn to go to the hospital. It's time for Jones to face the truth. It's over. With one punch, the Roy Jones era ended Saturday night in Memphis.

Nicky
26-09-2004, 10:25
Top... Upset !!!

Makijs
26-09-2004, 10:27
http://www.secondsout.com/USA/news.cfm?ccs=229&cs=14493

Johnson knocks Jones Junior stone cold

By Anthony Evans, ringside at the FedEx Forum in Memphis, Tennessee: The career of Roy Jones Junior was shockingly and irrevocably snuffed out here by a machine-like Glen Johnson - who sparked the former pound-for-pound icon out in the ninth round of a fight he was already soundly winning. Jones, down by two points (twice) and four points on the official scorecards was left twitching on the canvas by a massive right cross from the defending IBF light-heavyweight champion at 0:46 of the ninth.

It was a frightening knockout. Crashing to the canvas in a heap, Jones's head bounced off the canvas three times and the superstar's right leg stuck out in the air, locked absolutely rigid, even as Jones's eyes rolled into the back of his head. The Florida quicksilver did not get up for a full minutes - although he walked out of the ring under his own steam - and has been taken to hospital as a precautionary measure.

Of course, Jones was coming off that shattering one-punch knockout loss to Antonio Tarver in May and despite giving us every indication this week that the shredding of his clock of invincibility had not left any permanent scars whatsoever, we never really knew how Jones would take the first legitimate loss of his career until he stepped into the ring tonight.

Well, now we know. And the Jones legacy, winning titles at middleweight, super-middleweight, light-heavyweight and heavyweight, has been severely dented because this was no 'lucky punch' as some called the May 15 Tarver result. This will make shocking, perhaps unbelievable, reading for Jones's legion of admirers but Johnson, was simply too good in every department for Jones.

The punch stats tell the story: Johnson landed 118 to Jones's 75, landing 47 jabs to Jones's 9 (yes, Johnson completely out-jabbed Jones) and even with Jones looking for single left hooks or right hands all night, the champion out-landed Jones 71 to 66 in power-punches.

Team Johnson told this reporter in the week that their plan of attack was 'punches, punches, punches'. "Jones can get out the way of one or two shots," trainer Orlando Cuellar said. "But he won't be able to get out the way of seven, eight nine shots like Glen is going to throw."

No, Jones couldn't get out of the way. From the first round Jones was pinned to the ropes time and again by Johnson, who would pour in the powershots to head, body, arms, whatever while remaining wary enough of Jones's left hook counters. Johnson started the fight like a some sort of caveman, winning the first round on effort alone before taking it down

"I wanted to give Roy a statement in the first round," Johnson told SecondsOut after the fight. "I wanted to win that first round big."

The champion was more circumspect in the second, which I scored even as Jones made his man miss more but did little offensive work himself. Jones took the third by countering ala vintage RJJ off the ropes; he stunned Johnson several times with well-timed hooks or straight shots to the head. However, significantly, Johnson responded immediately whenever Jones threatened him.

Encouraged by his success in the previous round, Jones scored a leaping left hook within seconds of the fourth. But even as Jones went through the gears his momentum was halted by a crunching right hand by Johnson. It was Jones's round again but he just wasn't discouraging 'the Road Warrior' whatever.

The fifth was a sizzling round. Both took turns to hurt and stun the other. First Johnson was pelted with lightening fast Jones flurries; Jones ripped in two sickening shots to the liver before rocking the Jamaican born-American with another left hook to the jaw. Yet - again - Johnson pressed forward and the pair traded bombs in the middle of the ring.

After a quiet sixth (which Johnson won on workrate alone as the challenger skirted around the ring flicking out ineffectual jabs) Johnson hurt Jones at the beginning of the seventh when he missed a lead right but slammed home a left hook. There was a time when Roy Jones would make opponents miss with entire flurries, but tonight he had difficultly predicting what Johnson would hit him with next. By the seventh, you knew Jones was in real trouble, because he couldn't even get out of the way of Johnson's jab.

The eighth was yet another Johnson round and then came the cataclysmic ninth. Jones was able to duck several left hooks but after parrying a set-up jab, was laid out - knocked absolutely cold - by a follow-up right. Jones's left glove was by is knees when Johnson fired the most important shot of his career.

Jones never had a hope of getting up.

"I never gave up on myself even when I was robbed in fights all over the world," said a delighted Johnson. "People must realise I take that attitude into the ring with me. I never give up, I can't be discouraged. No way. I'm not flash and I won't say I'm this or that, but I will fight anyone who wants to fight me. Hopkins (who holds a win over Johnson), Tarver, whoever thinks they can beat me I'll fight."

Makijs
26-09-2004, 10:29
http://www.secondsout.com/USA/news.cfm?ccs=229&cs=14496

Tarver: "Roy has to retire"

By Anthony Evans in Memphis: WBC light heavyweight champion Antonio Tarver was among the first to congratulate his IBF counterpart Glen Johnson on his shocking ninth round ruin of Roy Jones Junior.

'The Magic Man' was in Memphis to watch old rival
Jones hopefully set up a lucrative rubber-match after
Tarver avenged his 12 round Novemner 2003 defeat to
Jones with a second round KO in May. However, Tarver
believes his cross-state Florida rival must now retire
for his own sake.

Tarver told SecondsOut: "I was Roy's biggest fan tonight - I wanted him to win big to set up our third fight. But now that's never gonna happen. It can't happen and I don't want it to happen. Roy will get
seriously hurt if he fights anyone again. He has to
retire. I wish he'd won, but now he has to retire for
his own sake. He can become a great commentator or ambassador for the sport - he'd be great at that - but
he can't fight no more.

"I think I ruined Roy last November (when Jones took a
debatable points win). I landed a lot of head shots in
that fight and it seems Roy can't take a shot no more.
I also show everyone the blueprint to beat Roy Jones
last November. You get him on the ropes and fire fast
shots while watching for the counter left hook. Roy
can't handle pressure like that.

"I thought Johnson was winning by four rounds anyway, although I didn't see Jones getting KO'd like that. I
thought Roy needed a knockout to win. He wasn't the
same guy I fought last year or even this year. He was
flat. I wouldn't say gunshy, but he was flat. I ruined him in our two fights.

"The Jones III fight is finished. So I'll fight
Johnson. He now has a claim to being the best at 175lbs so we have to fight. I'll also fight Hopkins if he has the balls to step up in weight instead of
fighting smaller guys."

Nicky
26-09-2004, 10:29
Zongenaamd was hij de beste p4p ... Hopkins heeft de hele bokscene in zijn macht

Ronald
26-09-2004, 11:24
Jammer man. Als je dit zo leest ben ik blij dat Lewis niet weer de ring instapt. Het is toch echt veel mooier om op je hoogtepunt afscheid te nemen. Jammer dat er niet meer dat doen. Dat maakt de herinnering zoveel beter.

Makijs
26-09-2004, 12:01
Ronald = correct. Zo'n mooie en goede bokser die nu natuurlijk keihard afgeserveerd gaat worden door de hele bokswereld. Hij was natuurlijk ook gewoon echt p4p de allerbeste. En dat was hij jarenlang. Dat heen en weer springen in gewicht en die paar jaar extra hebben hem in 1 klap oud gemaakt. Jammer dat hij niet gestopt is na zijn gewonnen zwaargewichtgevecht met Ruiz. Hopelijk ziet hij zelf ook in dat het gevaarlijk is om nog een keer de ring in te stappen.

Gulo gulo
26-09-2004, 12:57
Einde van een tijdperk..... :|

Maupie
26-09-2004, 15:18
shit , wel jammer zeg. :cry:

Makijs
26-09-2004, 16:25
http://www.sherdog.net/forums/showthread.php?s=8b1af71deace0e51321af3a4e3193ff4&threadid=202498

small RJJ vs Johnson pics

Jeru
26-09-2004, 16:28
ko filmpje
http://www.darthharlem.com/jonesnewkox.rm

Makijs
26-09-2004, 16:41
Tering, dat ziet er niet best uit. Dat linkerbeen houdt hij nog een hele tijd stijf.
Eigenlijk niet te geloven hoe laag zijn dekking hing. Het doet mij een beetje denken aan Ali - Holmes; een hele grote bokser die geen schaduw meer is van wat hij ooit was.

Makijs
26-09-2004, 17:18
http://www.fightworld.us/judgejake/requiem.htm

Requiem For A (Light) Heavyweight

Johnson KO's Jones in 9th

by Michael Lamkin

As the two fighters weighed in on Friday, there were two popular opinions that came away from it. Roy Jones looked ready to fight and Glen Johnson looked like an old man. Saturday night, Johnson proved that looks can be deceiving.

There were many questions about Roy Jones coming into tonight's fight. Glen Johnson did his best to answer them as he shocked the world (not to mention the world of Roy Jones) and not only defeated Jones, but knocked him out. Cold.

The night didn't get off to that bad of a start for Jones. When the bell rang for round one, Johnson came out and immediately started pounding on Jones against the ropes. It was nothing that Jones hadn't seen before, from Antonio Tarver to Eric Harding to David Telesco. You name it, Jones has seen it. What usually happens is Jones will cover up, see an opening and throw a body shot or two, maybe an uppercut or quick right hand.

Tonight, Jones covered up. Then covered up. Then continued to cover up. There was nary a counter punch in sight until near the end of the round. In rounds two and three, Jones started to attack more. Even at the age of 35, Jones can still throw lightning fast punches and combinations. Even though Johnson continued to press the action, Jones was much more accurate with his punches.

Beginning with round four, things seemed to change. Jones was still throwing quick punches, but they seemed to get wilder and wilder. His punches were no longer as accurate as they had been previously. Johnson was still cornering Jones and pummeling him to the head and body. In the fifth round, Johnson landed a right hand that hurt Jones, but Jones showed the heart of a champion (heart that he has always possessed) and came back to finished the round strongly (strong enough to earn himself an even round, in this writer's humble opinion).

The sixth round was the best of the fight. Johnson came out strong and seemed to hurt Jones again. Then Jones seemed to hurt Johnson and the crowd was electric. The toe-to-toe action lasted nearly the entire round. This was also the last round in which Jones looked anything close to good. Rounds seven and eight were full of Johnson swarming and punching, while Jones did nothing. You could almost see him finding the openings, but he was doing nothing about it. Perhaps he could do nothing about it. The fight was very similar to the first Jones-Tarver fight. Tarver would bully Jones against the ropes and start to pound on him, with Jones not offering much in return, same as what happened with Johnson tonight.

Then came the ninth. A clubbing overhand right just above Jones left ear sent the former champion down. Hard. As the referee counted to ten, Johnson and his corner were ecstatic as they celebrated the hard-fought victory. Jones still lay motionless on the canvas, where he remained for nearly five minutes before he was helped onto his feet (Note: at the close of HBO's telecast, Jones was still being examined by the ringside physician).

For Johnson, the sky is the limit. His obvious choice would be to face current

WBA/WBC champion Antonio Tarver in a unification fight. Johnson also expressed willingness in the post fight press conference to take on all comers, including current undisputed Middleweight champion Bernard Hopkins. A rematch with the first man to defeat him was intriguing to Johnson (but likely NOT at 168). One thing that Johnson wanted to make especially clear was that he would take on all comers.

For Roy Jones, there is only one option. Retirement. Right now. Don't take a few days to think it over. For a man that was once so celebrated for his defense and elusiveness, and now to have two knockout losses in a row, there is nothing else to consider. If he continues fighting, he increases the chances of ending up a victim of the sport he loves, much like his friend Gerald McClellan.

Roy Jones can retire proudly. He is a four-division champion, from Middleweight to Heavyweight. He has fought nearly every top contender that was available in three of those four weight classes. He was arguably the best pound-for-pound fighter in the world for almost nine years, and is one of the greatest fighters ever to lace up a pair of gloves.

The King is dead, long live the King.

The Maniac
26-09-2004, 18:11
Shit Shit en nog eens shit zoveel teleurstellingen deze week. IGGY die niet doorgaat, Le Banner die het niet haalt en nu nog eens Jones die knockie gaat what next Fedor die verliest van Rick Rootlieb.

Ronald
26-09-2004, 19:21
ko filmpje
http://www.darthharlem.com/jonesnewkox.rm
Thanx Jeru. Altijd mooi om de beelden erbij te zien, alhoewel ik denk dat de makers van het filmpje geen fan zijn van Roy Jones Jr.

Makijs
26-09-2004, 22:19
http://img78.exs.cx/img78/1975/roy2.gif

Ander filmpje van de KO.

Mike
27-09-2004, 11:15
http://www.secondsout.com/USA/news.cfm?ccs=229&cs=14496

Tarver: "Roy has to retire"

Tarver told SecondsOut: "I was Roy's biggest fan tonight - I wanted him to win big to set up our third fight. But now that's never gonna happen. It can't happen and I don't want it to happen. Roy will get
seriously hurt if he fights anyone again. He has to
retire. I wish he'd won, but now he has to retire for
his own sake. He can become a great commentator or ambassador for the sport - he'd be great at that - but
he can't fight no more.

"I."

die tarver is echt triest met zn grote bek. Ik heb de partij gekeken tot ik in slaap viel eind 8ste ronde. Zo kansloos was Roy helemaal niet. Hoezo zou die nou perse moeten stoppen? Ik vond Johnson erg goed vechten maar om dan meteen te roepen dat Jones nooit meer de ring in zou moeten. Erg zielig en onsportief van die Tarver om dat te zeggen. Ik hoop dat hij zn volgende partij de eerste ronde KO gaat.

Makijs
27-09-2004, 20:46
Die Tarver lijkt mij ook geen symphatieke jongen. Maar ik moet hem wel gelijk geven; Jones is Jones niet meer. Ik heb die partij net zitten kijken en ik vind het echt ongelofelijk hoe vaak en door welke stoten hij geraakt werd en vooral hoe weinig hij terugdeed. Zijn 'handspeed' is er soms nog wel, maar zijn benen en zijn wil om te winnen zijn echt helemaal weg. Dus ja, ik hoop ook dat hij echt stopt.

Ik weet niet hoe jullie dat ervaren maar ik vind het echt klote om te zien dat iemand die zo goed was, dat niveau bij lange na niet meer kan benaderen.

kentaro
28-09-2004, 14:49
Heb het gevecht opgenomen van de BBC en Roy Jones was echt niet meer de superiuere vechter van vroeger, wel een mooie overwinning voor Johnson.