PDA

View Full Version : Klitschko - Williamson Spoiler

Makijs
03-10-2004, 09:21
Wladimir Klitschko besiegt Amerikaner DaVarryl Williamson

Wenig überzeugender Abbruchsieg am Ende der fünften Runde

Ex-Weltmeister Wladimir Klitschko hat sich mit einem wenig überzeugenden Abbruchsieg ins Profibox-Geschäft zurückgemeldet. Der Schwergewichtler besiegte in der Nacht zum Sonntag in Las Vegas unter freiem Himmel vor 4000 Zuschauern im Amphitheater des Caesars Palace den Amerikaner DaVarryl Williamson durch Technischen Punktsieg wegen Verletzungsabbruch am Ende der fünften Runde.

Der über zehn Runden angesetzte Kampf musste wegen eines Kopfstoßes von Williamson abgebrochen werden, weil sich dabei der Ukrainer eine schwere Risswunde über dem rechten Auge zuzog. Zu diesem Zeitpunkt lag Klitschko auf den Punktzetteln mit 2:1 vorn.

Der 28 Jahre alte Olympiasieger von 1996 hat sich damit nur auf unbefriedigende Weise für die peinliche K.o.-Niederlage vor sechs Monaten im Weltmeisterschaftskampf nach Version der WBO gegen den Amerikaner Lamon Brewster rehabilitiert. Für den jüngeren Klitschko- Bruder war es im 46. Profikampf der 43. Sieg. Williamson, der als 1:5-Außenseiter in den Ring gestiegen war, kassierte seine dritte Niederlage im 23. Kampf.

http://www.zdf.de/ZDFde/inhalt/8/0,1872,2199240,00.html

Makijs
03-10-2004, 09:22
Klitschko wins tech. decision!
Sunday, October 3 2004

By Chris Bronte and Herman Patton at ringside

In a crossroads battle, former WBO heavyweight champion Wladimir Klitshko won an unsatisfying five-round split technical decision over DaVarryl Williamson Saturday at Caesars Palace in Las Vegas. After three tactical rounds where Klitschko pressed the action, Williamson dropped Klitschko in the fourth. Wladimir, however, quickly regained his feet and fought back hard in the second half of the round. In round five, Klitschko received a vertical gash on the forehead from an unintentional headbutt and due to that cut the bout was sent to the cards after the round. Scores were 49-46, 49-46 for Klitschko, 48-47 Williamson. Doctor Margaret Goodman stated the cut was down to the bone.

http://www.fightnews.com/fightnews_2/headlines//EpAyZZyuVlrmEMpenf.html

}|^-_-^|{
03-10-2004, 14:16
hatsiekiedee :thumbs:

Gulo gulo
03-10-2004, 14:18
Niet de mooiste manier om te winnen, maar toch weer een winstpartij in de zak

Makijs
03-10-2004, 15:12
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/boxing/3710990.stm
Klitschko wins on points

Wladimir Klitschko survived a knockdown to beat DaVarryl Williamson on points after the heavyweight bout was stopped following an accidental head butt.
Klitschko won by a split decision after the ring doctor halted the fight at the end of the fifth round in Las Vegas.

The Ukrainian had suffered a deep gash over his right eye following the clash of heads during the fifth.

Two judges had Klitschko ahead at the time of the stoppage with one judge putting Williamson in front.

Williamson, who had knocked down Klitschko in the fourth round with a right to the head, was unhappy with the outcome.

"This is unfinished business. We should do it again," he said.

However Klitschko played down the knockdown saying: "I was off balance and he caught me with a right hand.

"I built my fight with my left jab. I was using both hands well and I wanted to continue the fight."

Earlier, America's Jeff Lacy won the vacant IBF super middleweight title by beating Canada's Syd Vanderpool when the referee stopped the fight in the eighth round.

Lacy is now unbeaten in 17 fights.

Also on the undercard, Uganda's Kassim Oum won the IBF junior middleweight crown over Verno Phillips following a unanimous decision by the judges.

The bout had been Phillips first title defence.

Makijs
03-10-2004, 15:26
http://www.secondsout.com/USA/news.cfm?ccs=229&cs=14558

Klitschko wins in unsatisfactory fashion

By Mark G. Butcher, ringside in Las Vegas: If former WBO heavyweight champion Wladimir Klitschko was looking for a quiet night after his recent struggles then he was to be sorely disappointed.

Klitschko suffered a shock fourth round knockdown against unfancied DaVarryl Williamson at the new Roman Amphitheatre in Caesars Palace and perhaps greater troubles were in store when an unintentional headbutt in the fifth round left Wladimir with a nasty cut between both eyes and the fight was sent to the scorecards. Klitschko duly triumphed via a split technical decision by scores of 49-46 (twice) against a 48-47 nod for Williamson.

A disappointed Klitschko told SecondsOut afterwards: "I would like to have won the fight more convincingly. I thought that I was winning every round. I thought I was shaking him and in the later rounds it was going to be an easier job for me. Unfortunately, then I was cut. I didn't have any problems with my condition. We can talk about breathing and everything else, but I can tell you that Williamson was slowing down after moving around too much and it was getting easier to catch him.

"I don't want to complain about the knockdown. It was a clean shot from him - a right hand - while my feet were standing off balance, but he caught me. I got up as soon as I could and I felt pretty good after that. I was not feeling shaky at all."

An upbeat Williamson, invigorated by his better than expected performance, said: "I got a little excited after the knockdown. I used a little lateral movement in there. Round six was looking really, really good. I think the fight was following the plan we wanted, to wear him out and make him lose his legs."

Williamson stood off for most of the contest in an attempt to make Klitschko reach in with his shots and tire himself out, and the strategy appeared to be working until the premature ending. The Ukrainian looked a little gun shy following his defeat to Lamon Brewster in April and was unwilling to fight at his usual pace, but Williamson's tactics of avoidance, while effective, did not make for a great spectacle.

Williamson made Klitschko look ordinary without producing much in terms of offence. After a quiet opening session, Klitschko took control of the centre of the ring in the second and pawed away with his jab, forcing Williamson to hold after a solid right and back-off under pressure.

The Ukrainian took the third round on my card also as the reluctant Williamson stayed out of harm's way and forced Klitschko to reach in ponderously. A hammer-like right sent a spray of water from Williamson's head, but the American took the shot surprisingly well and held on to ride out the mini-storm.

Williamson was waiting for Klitschko to tire and that tactic appeared to be working, but then in the fourth - out of nowhere - a right hand caught Klitschko flush and sent him to the deck. Though it was a clean punch, Wladimir's legs were in a tangle at the time of contact and he got up with a clear head and his faculties fully intact. Wladimir responded in good fashion, wobbling Williamson with a right hand and applying steady pressure that was enough to convince two judges that the round should be scored 10-9 to Williamson and not the obligatory 10-8.

Klitschko took a relatively tepid fifth round as Williamson stood off once more and the fight was in the balance when the two men clashed heads and the fight was sent to scorecards between rounds. Initially, Williamson celebrated thinking he had scored a retirement victory, but instead the bout was heading for a technical decision and defeat.

Earlier, a heavyweight upset did take place when Houston's Stacy Frazier shocked Nigerian fringe contender Duncan Dokiwari after just 2-55 of the first round. A looping right hand to the temple sent Dokiwari crashing spectacularly to the canvas and, though he beat the count, he could only manage unsteady baby steps and referee Toby Gibson correctly halted the contest.

Middleweight Ronald Hearns, son of the legendary 'Hitman' Tommy, was too polished for Californian Darren Foss and scored a fourth round knockdown en route to a comfortable 40-35 decision on all three scorecards. Hearns rises to 4-0 (2) and displayed a poise that belied his limited pro and amateur experience.

Welterweight Nick Casal, from Niagara Falls, New York, is definitely one to watch. The heavy-handed Casal bludgeoned Ohio's David McBride to defeat in two one-sided rounds and showed glimpses of rare quality.

The outgunned McBride was felled in the first with a right near the ropes and only the tactic of spitting out his gumshield saw him see out the round. The respite was brief though and a right hand followed by a left hook sent McBride down for the full count after 0:55 of the second round.

Jose Antonio Ojeda opened the night with a sixth round stoppage of gangly Las Vegas-based Puerto Rican Wilmer Torres in a welterweight eight-rounder. The shorter Ojeda bulldozed effectively and hurt Torres throughout with clubbing left hooks before persistent pressure finally told after 2:50 of the sixth round.