PDA

View Full Version : Judoka in K-1 MMA

The Maniac
06-10-2004, 15:15
Akiyama makes K-1 debut at New Year's Eve

Yoshihiro Akiyama, naturalized as a Japanese citizen from a Korean September 2001, a 81kg class representative of World Judo Championship September 2003 has a press at Tokyo Teikoku Hotel, 6th. He shows that he has become a professional fighter. He doesn't belong any guy. His debut is Dynamite!! at New Year's Eve 2004, Osaka Dome. The fight is under MMA rules. The oppoent is TBA. Gray haired Akiyama says, "I decided to be a professional fighter to show my heart, skill and body cultivated by Judo. As a MMA frontier Mr. Maeda(note: Conde Koma, Gracies' teacher)" did, I'd like to promote Judo all over the world. FEG(K-1 promoter) President Sadaharu Tanikawa says, "I hope he will be Conde Coma 21st century."

Akiyama was selected as a substitute player of Japanese 81kg class Judo in Athene Olympic; he left his company Heisei Kanzai in the last ten days of May. He refused to be a Japanese National picked player and All Japan Judo Federation accepted it. Although Akiyana has never got any medal in World level championship, his ability must be world class. This is biggest professional debut of Judo-Ka next to Hidehiko Yoshida.