PDA

View Full Version : Kaoklai Kaennorsing Intervieuw

Nicky
28-10-2004, 08:14
He’s quick, elusive, and packs as much of a punch as any world class pugilist. At around 172 pounds, though, Thailand’s Kaoklai Kaennorsing (pronounced “Gao-Glai Gane-Nora-Sin�) is also the smallest fighter by a landslide in K-1 superheavyweight history.

Since he made his K-1 tournament debut on July 17th of this year, Kaennorsing has shown a remarkable ability to hang with and, moreover, succeed in the squared circle against the sport’s 200 plus pound fighters. The inaugural K-1 event in Seoul, Korea saw the Thai boxer defeat three straight opponents, the first by knockout, to take possession of the “World Grand Prix 2004 in Seoul� tournament crown....

Kaennorsing was expected to be manhandled by the dangerous Alexey Ignashov during their September 25th single bout matchup in Tokyo, Japan. After the first bell sounded, however, the 6 foot 5 inch, 240-pound Ignashov, widely regarded as one of the top five contenders within the sport’s ranks, looked perplexed as he could not find his mark throughout three scheduled rounds and an added, overtime round. Kaennorsing, who stole the hearts of most onlookers with his courageous effort, also won over two of three judges to gain a majority decision win.

Thanks to the bold victory over Ignashov last month, the unprecedented presence of a fighter of Kaennorsing’s stature in K-1 tournament competition will continue on Saturday, December 4th during the Pay-Per-View televised “World Grand Prix Finals� single-elimination contest. A quick glance at the eight-man draw reveals that all but one of the other seven participants scheduled to lace up the gloves that night weigh in excess of 230 pounds. With this fact in mind, the average observer might conclude that the Thai has finally bitten off more than he can chew. Kaennorsing, however, only sees the challenge as another day in the office.

Q: What do you feel was your greatest strength in the fight with Alexey Ignashov?

A: I guess he underestimated me because I am a lot smaller than him. That fight proved that you can never underestimate your opponent no matter how small he is. Overconfidence can be very dangerous. At the same time, I am very surprised with myself because I never imagined that I could defeat heavyweight fighters. I need to use my speed and technique while being careful with their heavy punches.

Q: In the first tournament round on December 4th, you are scheduled to face Mighty Mo, a fighter who outweighs you by around 100 pounds. How difficult do you feel this task will be for you?

A: I need to be careful with his heavy punch because a single punch damages me tremendously. I’m sure that he will come forward and pressure me. Keeping my own distance will be the key to fight with him.

Q: From what you saw of Mighty Mo during his fight with Gary Goodridge on September 25th, what is your opinion of his skill level and power?

A: I am not so worried about his kicks, but his punch is powerful and dangerous.

Q: What would you consider your greatest accomplishments in Muay Thai competition in Thailand?

A: I became the Rajadamnern Stadium Muay Thai champion in two different weight categories – welterweight and superwelterweight (Note: Rajadamnern Stadium is recognized as Thailand’s second most prestigious arena that exists strictly for Muay Thai competition.) I am very honored to achieve that. However, I don’t say that is a great undertaking. There are many fighters who achieved greater results out there. I just thank my promoter for giving me the opportunity to fight.

Q: How were you discovered by the K-1 organization?

A: Mr. Ihara, the president of the New Japan Kickboxing asked Mr. Choocharoen Raveearamwong, my promoter in Thailand, to look for Muay Thai fighters who can compete in K-1. Luckily, he chose me.

Q: Fighters from Thailand seem to be some of the most well-conditioned fighters in the world. Why do you think this is so?

A: Thai fighters start fighting in their very young age. You cannot compare our amount of fighting experience with fighters in other countries. With the experience, Thai fighters become very well-conditioned.

Anonymous
28-10-2004, 10:05
Die gaat klop krijgen van die Mighty Mo! NEemt niet weg dat hij een uitstekende prestatie heeft geleverd!

Anonymous
28-10-2004, 10:55
Maar die Mighty Mo gaat hem dus niet onderschatten zoals Ignsahov dat wel deed.

Gulo gulo
28-10-2004, 18:38
Hi zegt het zelf al, hij moet echt op gaan passen dat hij niet op een fikse klap loopt want dan is het over