PDA

View Full Version : Interview Remy Bonjaski

Wheelie
29-10-2004, 17:45
Interview: 2003 K-1 Grand Prix Champion, Remy Bonjasky
Saturday, 16 October 2004. Written by Team Kakutougi, Intro by Monty DiPietro

He is cool, sleek and quick, and he flies through the air with the greatest of ease. He is known as "The Gentleman," and he strikes with his legs, and he strikes with his knees. He is a twenty-eight year-old Muay Thai fighter from the Netherlands, and last December, at the Tokyo Dome, he turned aside all challengers to capture the world's most prestigious martial arts title. Meet the King of Kings, the K-1 Grand Prix 2003 Champion, Remy Bonjasky.
Q: When and where did “Remy Bonjasky� grow up, and what was your upbringing like?
A: Born in Paramaribo Suriname, 1976 February 10th. I Came to Holland when I was 5 years old.

Q: What were you like in school, and did you study having a particular career in mind for adult life? Did you swing any part-time jobs?
A: I was a smart boy with a big mouth, like any other kid I was always thinking about growing up and being a policeman or a fireman or something like that. When I grew up I had a lot of different office jobs, like network operator or financial controller. If I did not have the talent to be a K-1 fighter, I think I would developed myself in that branch.

Q: Take us through your early sports career. What’s your sports career like before becoming a fighter?
A: I start playing soccer when I was five. Then I broke my leg when I was sixteen. I tried again but it did not work out like before. So a classmate brought me to Mejiro Gym and I fell in love with this sport.

Q: Was this a chance event, or did he for some reason think Muay Thai was a good fit?
A: It started all with my big mouth; there were some discussions with me and some classmates about Kick Boxing. The classmate who brought me to the Gym said to me, “let's see who's the strongest and come with me to the Gym.�

Q: So you have this first contact with Muay Thai at the age of 18. What was your first impression of this radically different sport, and what attracted you to it?
A: I cannot really explain it; I fell in love with the sport. It's like falling in love with my wife, it's just the feeling that you get with that particular person, sport or any other thing.

Q: Soon you had your first fight against Valentijn Overeem. What was that whole experience like?
A: Very nervous. It was my first fight and, I had such a big guy standing in front of me. Who would not be nervous?? Happily I (beat) him by TKO so I was very proud of myself beating this muscled guy!

Q: You also faced Alexey Ignashov a few times early in both your careers. Can you tell us what those fights were like and the outcomes of them?
A: I faced him three times in the beginning of my career. The first two fights I won and the last one I lost, all three fights were on points.

Q: At some point, you feel that you can, and want to do this professionally. That obviously affects life as you know it. When did you feel you had what it took to do this professionally, what changes did you make in life, and what were the reactions of those around and close to you?
A: Luckily I got the opportunity of being sponsored by a friend. So I took that chance. I asked for advice to my girl (now wife) and my mother and they agreed and they had faith in my talent. I quit my job at the internet company and started with two times a day training. My first fight as a professional in K-1 was against Ray Sefo. For the first time I went to Japan and despite my nervousness I won this match by TKO. My family was real proud of me and of course I was very happy that I was still alive. ;)

Q: Did you set a deadline on certain goals, like getting into K-1, before going back to an ordinary life with a 9 to 5 job? Or was there never a question?
A: I never doubted about my talents and there was no question to go back to my 9 to 5 job.

Q: Who were some of the fighters in K-1 that you looked up to when you were still new to the sport, and who are the ones you get along the best with now?
A: I get along with everybody from the K-1, they are all good guys. The fighters who I still keep an eye on is, for example Ignashov, because he has the same Muay Thai style as me. The one who I really see as an example is the one and only Cassius Clay. And that's why my son is named after him!!

Q: When you are in Japan fighting is it a friendly atmosphere amongst the fighters?
A: Like I said I can get along with everybody. Like Bob Sapp, it wasn't really a nice thing to do (beating on the back of my head while lying down on the floor) but after all we still make jokes with each other and I like him as a person. You must see any fighter as fighter in the ring, and as a person outside the ring. Until now that works out very well.

Q: How have you dealt with the fame you now have in Japan, and has it dramatically increased at home as well?
A: In Holland it did increase, it's wonderful because you get the recognition as a sportsman. In Japan it has been increased a lot more, because the sport is more popular over there.

Q: When you want to get away from it all, what do you like to spend your time doing?
A: What I love the most is spending time with my family, teaching my son to say 'papa', watching movies,…

Q: Let’s go back to last year for a minute, as I’m curious about one thing. In October, why did you pick Peter Graham for your first round opponent, when it was assumed by most that he would be replaced by Hoost come December?
A: He was new like me, he was the one who is inexperienced. About Hoost, at that time it did not matter who I was going to fight. I was new and did not have anything to loose, plus it doesn't matter for me who I’m going to fight, I’m not afraid of anyone.

Q: How did it feel to have the crown placed on your head, and how long did it take to really sink in?
A: It was like my dream came true, I was so happy, everything was going well. Right now I’m still living my dream because I am still the K-1 champion.

Q: The lack of veteran fighters in last years Grand Prix ( Le Banner and Hunt being out injured, while Hoost was out sick ) brought about criticism from some, saying it was one of the weaker tournaments. What would you say to them?
A: I would say I came to do what I was supposed to do, and I did it very well. That the other fighters weren’t there was not my fault.

Q: Being the reigning Champion, you are a marked man this year. Do you feel the extra pressure, and how do you deal with it?
A: I don’t feel extra pressure, right now I’m in the books as the champion of 03, and they can’t take that away from me.

Q: Does it feels special to walk to the ring, hearing the crowd and knowing you are the reigning champion in such a difficult sport?
A: It feels more than great to hear the crowd screaming my name, I love that. It is worth all the hard work.

Q: Apart from a loss against a solid Francisco Filho, you’ve had convincing wins over Tsuyoshi Nakasako, Francois Botha and Aziz Khattou this year. How have you felt about your condition thus far?
A: My condition was not perfect in those fights, but looking forward to the semifinals (Eliminations) I have to be in a perfect condition to beat my opponent. I’m training very hard for this right now.

Q: How do you go about preparing yourself both physically and mentally for something as grueling as the Grand Prix? What does a typical day or week of training in the life of Remy Bonjasky look like?
A: Train two times a day, six days a week, eat very healthy. Mental training is something like a process, if you have a day that you don't feel like training, it's very important that you pick up yourself and go on with your training. That will help you to get over your weak points. In the fight it will help you when the fight is not going like you want it to go.

Q: What is it that you feel makes you different to the other K-1 fighters out there now?
A: I’m faster, my knees are my special technique, and I’m the only fighter that can do the techniques as I do them.

Q: Is there anyone you have fought in K-1 that you would like to rematch with, and if so, why?
A: Crocop, because I know I would be able to (beat) him in a revenge (match).

Q: Who is the one man you have fought that stands out as the toughest?
A: Maybe Crocop. But there are a lot more tough fighters.

Q: What are your thoughts on your match up with Akebono in the Eliminations in September?
A: I think it will be a good fight, it's very important for me to win the fight being a champion. I think my chances are very good, I have trained very hard and I will do my best.

Q: I think we all know your goal for this year, but would you share with us your long term goals, for both in, and out of the ring?
A: At the moment I’m very busy with receiving my goal for this year so I really do not have time to think about what I’m going to do next. Right now I’m training hard, and the rest of the time I want to relax with wife Melissa and my son Cassius.

Q: For any young fighters out there aspiring to make it to K-1, and perhaps Tokyo Dome, what advice would you give them?
A: Train hard, eat healthy, listen to your coach and always be a gentleman.

Q: Finally, do you have anything you would like to say to your fans, and the supporters of K-1?
A: To the fans: Scream my name as loud as you can when I’m fighting the Grand Prix! I know it will help me!! Thank you, love to you all!

And thank you for taking the time out of your busy schedule to answer these questions for us. We at Kakutougi would like to congratulate you on your victory over Akebono, and wish you all the best for your fight against Ernesto Hoost in the 2004 Grand Prix.

*bron* http://kakutougi.info/content/view/41/2/

redjuh
29-10-2004, 17:47
cool man thanks!

Gulo gulo
29-10-2004, 18:39
Thanks for the info Wheelie :thumbs:

Daniel
29-10-2004, 18:40
thanks wheelie :thumbs:

Shytown
29-10-2004, 19:29
Q: Is there anyone you have fought in K-1 that you would like to rematch with, and if so, why?

:thumbs:

Virus
29-10-2004, 20:02
Top man!! 8)

Marco
29-10-2004, 22:29
Remy is een topper :thumbs:

Sjaak
29-10-2004, 23:05

Alle respect voor Remy maar ik geloof hier helemaal niks van, sorry maar Crocop is 2 maatjes te groot voor hem.

Gulo gulo
29-10-2004, 23:26
In K1 maakt Remy zeer zeker een kans tegen Crocop denk ik....

kyokushin
30-10-2004, 11:39
:thumbs:

Arno verbraak
31-10-2004, 02:02
remy is cool! hij was vanavond ook op het gala in ijsselmuiden, solide gozer!

Emilio
31-10-2004, 16:03
Leuk interview!

Nickuraba
31-10-2004, 17:26
crocop maakt um af :P maarjah remy is een toffe gast. Hij was bij een lokaal thai boks gala te gast en ik heb zelfs 2 fotos met hem gemaakt. Toffe kerel, heel relaxed. Gelukkig drammen ze niet zo door over zijn flying knee's, iedereen die geen reet van k-1 weet zit daar altijd zo over te lullen, dat iedereen er KO op gaat enzo :?

toffe kerel, leuke vechter, ik gun het hem wel. Ik hoop dat dit jaar wat betere namen in de GP zitten, kan die echt laten zien uit welk hout hij gesneden is

Emilio
31-10-2004, 18:06
idd, dan kan hij maar beter nog wat op zn bokswerk oefenen want dat is nog niet heel veel.