PDA

View Full Version : Travis Lutter Interview

Nicky
12-11-2004, 07:00
Jiu-jitsu website Austinbjj.com recently interviewed Travis Lutter. Here's what Lutter had to say (interview by Xena):

Xena: Welcome Travis. Real quick, can you give a brief bio of your career in BJJ and when you opened your academy?

Lutter: I started training BJJ when I am moved here in August of 1997. I went to the world's in 1998 as a blue belt, and took 2nd. In 2000, I went to the worlds again as a purple belt and placed 3rd. I also won the American qualifier to go to ADCC where I lost my first match Comprido. I won the American qualifier again in 2001 and lost another first round match to Saulo Riberio. Since then I have been focusing more on NHB. I won the USS that Rorian Gracie put on. I also won my first fight in the UFC against Marvin Eastman.

Xena: Let me get right to a certain subject first. You dominated the Ultimate Submission Showdown. Rorion had contacted you to set up a super fight/rematch with his son Ryron Gracie. The match fell through, and you were not well. There are many threads on the internet that are still wondering what happened. Can you state your illness, and knowing you as a fighter Travis, I know you didn't want to drop out. When did you finally decide?

Lutter: I dropped out about 11:00 AM after talking to Carlos (Machado) . He advised me that I shouldn't compete because I was very sick with an upper repertory infection. I wanted to (fight) but there was just no way I would have competed anywhere close to the top of my game.

Xena: At the first USS, there were some good grapplers. Munson and Avellan are two good grapplers. You defeated Lance Campbell by submission, Avellan 15 x1, and Ryron Gracie 13 x 0. It seemed easy, but you and I know it never is. Was there any specific training you did, or just the usual training with more mat time?

Lutter: We didn't have that much time to prepare for that tournament because of the late notice. To get ready, I trained with Kenny, Paul, Buddy and the rest of the guys at my school. I also have Carlos tweaking my game constantly.

Xena: You are known for your no gi game. I know you have talents both ways, but do you train more gi or no gi?

Lutter: I definitely train more with the gi . The only time I train more no gi is when I have an NHB fight or a Submission Grappling match coming up.

Xena: Back to knocking out Marvin Eastman in the UFC 50. Eastman is known for striking skills as opposed to grappling, yet you were able to strike and beat him at his own game. Does this show the MMA community a glimpse of Travis" fighting skills? Well rounded?

Lutter: I have been working on my striking for the last couple of years so I was very happy with the result of the fight.

Xena: I was talking to some people last weekend and the subject of your striking came up. Who do you practice your striking skills under or with?

Lutter: The first person that I boxed with was Phil Sawyer and as of lately I have been training with Brock Groom.

Xena: I think the UFC may have plans for you. Did you come in at your best weight and prep? It was kind of a last minute notice.

Lutter: I think I will be fighting in the 185 lb. division so I guess that no it wasn't the best weight for me.

Xena: Back to your career. You surprised the grappling community when you and Comprido fought in Abu Dhabi. You went for more attacks than he did, and in the end he was given an advantage. I believe you were just a purple belt back then. Does Travis plan to go back to the Abu Dhabi sometime in the future?

Lutter: Only if they invite me. I don't plan on doing any of the qualifiers because of a disagreement we had in the past.

Xena: What was the disagreement?

Lutter: I don't want to talk about that one.

Xena: The Jiu-Jitsu game has evolved. A decade ago, people were doing locked guards a majority of the time, then the open guard transcended. Now we have more half guard assaults in BJJ. Is there a particular type of guard you prefer?

Lutter: I think I am pretty well rounded but I probably do more open half guard now than closed.

Xena: Travis, your primary instructor in BJJ is Carlos Machado. You train with Carlos, but you also teach out of your own academy. What sort of training regiment do you have involving your grappling, and do you have a few of your top students you use as training partners?

Lutter: I train with Brad, Kenny, Buddy, Paul and all of the other top guys at my school. We do a lot of timed training and they are all really good at breaking everything down when we have a problem. I train 5 to 7 days a week and the process is always changing trying to find the right balance.

Xena: At your academy, you also have a competition team that does well in the Dallas state championships. Do you have any up and coming students who you feel may be someone to look out for in the future? (Names, brief description)

Lutter: You never know how people are going to do, sometimes you have somebody you think is going to be great and he quits after only training for a year or so. Then you will have somebody who just out works everybody else and ends up becoming really good.

Xena: Travis, in our BJJ community, it seems to be who is the best on that particular day. Some of our top people like PeDePano, Jacare, Margarita and Roger Gracie are four names I ask opinions about in interviews. Can you give me a brief opinion on each one, and who do you think will be on top for the future? PeDePano has dominated after Margarita was injured, but Roger and Jacare are there too.

Lutter: No comment, I don't worry as much about what other people are doing but more about how I am doing and how I will match up against everybody.

Xena: Travis, you sponsor a few tournaments in your area to promote BJJ and get more people involved. This also improves our BJJ community relations, and expose more kids. You happen to know about being a Dad yourself. Do you involve your own children in BJJ or wait to see if there is an interest on their own?

Lutter: We have a kids class that my son has asked to go to. But I am not doing anything special with him, as he gets older if he expresses interest in it I will start to push him more.

Xena: Do you feel BJJ should be done slowly with kids? How do we expose kids to this unique martial art which can be very intimidating when watched?

Lutter: I have not made certain exactly how I think kids should be taught. I think every kid is different and has to be dealt with differently.

Xena: Going back to the USS, the point system is different than in BJJ. When you score a certain amount of points, the match is stopped due to the dominant point margin. Did you like this system? Or do you prefer Abu Dhabi rules in a no gi tournament?

Lutter: I think that both systems have advantages and disadvantages. I think the USS rules probably are better for my particular game.

Xena: Your no gi record stands for itself. You have won two ADCC qualifiers at the Hook 'n' shoot, competed very close matches against Comprido and Saulo Ribeirio, and have won the 2003 USS tournament promoted by Rorion Gracie. In the USS, it showed that Rorion had organized a legitimate grappling tournament, and it showed that his rules were not meant to help his sons win. Both sons lost to you and Avellan, and then of course Avellan lost to you. What is next for Travis Lutter in no gi tournaments? NHB? BJJ?

Lutter: The problem with NHB is that you wait so long to in order to fight in the different organizations. Unless I get a good offer from somebody in the near future I am planning on competing in this years Pan Americans.

Xena: I discussed the UFC earlier. Do you have an interest in Pride? Although you respect all fighters, is there someone in Pride you would enjoy testing your skills against?

Lutter: I am at the point in my career that if they called and said will you fight Vanderlai or Tito or anybody else I would say no problem. My main concern is getting a decent fight in a respectable organization.

Xena: While on on the subject, anyone in your weight division you would look at in the UFC?

Lutter: Anybody, I really am not picky I would just like to fight.

Xena: Speaking of Pride, Vanderlai seems to be on top of the scene. Recently Randy Couture defeated Vitor Belfort. Randy suggested to Vanderlai at that UFC to unify the UFC and Pride belts. Tough match, I would like to see it happen. It's a tough pick, but if you had to pick one, who would you lean towards and why?

Lutter: Randy because I don't think anybody can deal with him in that weight class right now because of his dominate positioning.

Xena: Travis, you have been teaching for a while. What do you enjoy most about teaching?

Lutter: Seeing people improve over the years and figuring out how to help and deal with all the different games.

Xena: Travis, for contact information, how can people get a hold of you for class times, privates and seminars?

Lutter: Team Lutter BJJ, 1732 E Square, Fort Worth TX 76120. 817-781-4243 nextgenbjj.com

Xena: Thanks for the interview Travis. Hope to see you soon. Any advice to newcomers in BJJ on their training?

Lutter: In order to get better, you have to show up to train. Thank you.