PDA

View Full Version : Wanderlei Silva Interview

Nicky
13-11-2004, 09:32
Wanderlei is back from Japan, where he did one of the best fights of his career against the American Quinton Jackson. To test the hearts of his brazilian fans, the Brazilian warns that there´s much more to come soon.

TT- Tell me about your fight against Quinton Jackson?

WS- It was a very important victory since my title was on the line and he is a really good opponent. I was fighting under a lot of pressure, there were many people saying this time Quinton would win and it was a hard fight. I started the bout with a good pace, punching him, then he stalled and succeeded in taking me down. Actually the only moment I was in danger was in the end of the first round when he scored a knockdown. He stayed on top, but I could recover and get between his legs putting back the guard. I tried a triangle and he passed (the guard) and delivered some shots. When the round ended I went right to the corner breathing, to recover , because I did not know how long the fight would last. The second round started in the same pace, we had some exchanging and we went to the ground. Suddenly the lady announces '3 minutes', there were still 3 minutes, plenty of time. I recovered my breat, we were stood up and I could hit him with two right hard punches, I gave him one knee and tried two more that didn't connect. Then I delivered one knee that hit him really strong, I could feel the impact of his face in my knee, at that moment I knew it was over. After that just happiness.

TT- You could see in your last fight, that you are kind of comfortable on the ground, trying submissions several times. Tell me about this?

VS- I knew the fight would be on the grounnd in the guard, so I figured it out, how the fight would turn. I trained a lot with Cristiano and the guys, fighting from my back, so I got used with this situation. That's why I could show up a good performance in the ground.

TT- When you were entering the ring, what did you think seeing Quinton Jackson on the phone, as he wasn't worried with the fight?

WS- He tried to freak me out emotionally or make a mind game with me, but I was decided and very focused in the fight, really determined and anything would get the goal out of my mind, I mean I was with the victory in my mind.

TT- What have you told him in the end of the fight? Was it a “finish�, like it was the last time?

WS- This time, since he became a Christian, he was more polite. Not much, but he is learning. He stood up and came to congratulate with all the politeness possible, then I could just tell him that was just our job and we would see each other soon. I am pretty sure that another one will happen, this fight has become a classic, next year there will be another!

TT- And how about Ricardo Arona? After his victory in the event, is he in the line again?

WS- Arona will have to fight a few more times before he is able to face me. If he wants to fight me this could happen in the GP next year; if he wins one fight in the tourney, then probably we will face each other. It would be a pleasure for me to fight with him.

TT- Are you going to enter in the GP again?

WS- To tell you the truth, yes,I want. I want to enter because it’s a huge show and I don’t want to stay out of it, just watching. I want to be in the ring, fighting. If God makes the path for this to happen I am going with pleasure.

TT- There are rumors about you facing Mirko Cro Cop in the New Years Eve show. But now he has his opponent already set. Who’s going to be left for you to face on December, 31st?

WS- The three guys I was thinking are already tied up. They have to see who’s will be left for Silva.

TT- Maybe it would be Randy Couture?

WS- Wow, if it’s him, Santa Claus is going to be saying “ho ho ho� for me (laughs). That would be my Christmas gift! It would be awesome, because I amfeeling pretty good and the last fight stimulated me. Since the fight against Yoshida I haven’t fought a long bout and I felt happy for being tested. My limits, thank God, are expanding even more, I am absorbing more punches, my physical condition is great and I can face anyone!

TT- In the end of the year, Pride will have a few great matches, like Minotaruro against Fedor, Yoshida against Rulon Gardner. Are you going to steal the spotlights again?

I always try to fight well, but the most important is to put a good show. I was seeing a Jiu-jitsu match, the guy pass the guard, score some points and lay and pray there waiting for the victory. For me winning is not just the victory. Winning is to put a great show to the fans, make the crowd vibrate, that’s what I think is worthy! In my last fight I left with the victory, I was happy and so, but fighting great is what matters. I don’t give a shit, winning is just a detail.

TT- What’s your secret formula to sustain this winning strike for more than 4 years?

WS- First it’s the Lord’s protection. He is blessing me more everyday. As I told my wife, God is taking care of me, only good things are happening in my life. Business is going great, in the gym, we lost some fighters that used to train with us, but now we got some guys that are even better, these guys are really determined to train, giving their face to slap. I see these guys with 20, 22 years old. There is Shogun, Ninja, Cyborg and everybody and then I realize how important this team is. The team training me, Cristiano, Rafael and Master Rudimar, all the technical staff, they are working really hard, you could see how everybody is doing great. Next year Chute Boxe will be head and shoulder above everyone. We are going to conquer many more titles in several tourneys.

Arjan
13-11-2004, 11:40
Leuke intervieuw, vind hem leuker om te lezen dan die van Jackson over hun gevecht..

Anonymous
13-11-2004, 12:28
hij ruled zo erg!

kan niet wachten opzijn volgende partij !

silva4life

Highline
13-11-2004, 13:53
leuk interviw maar repost ;) http://www.ma-skills.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=4139&highlight=interview+wanderlei+silva