PDA

View Full Version : Yoshida Interview over Gardner

Nicky
02-12-2004, 20:27
Interviewer: How is your shoulder since your fight with Mark Hunt (June 20)?

Yoshida: It’s been taking a lot of times to healed as I expected but I will try to manage it somehow until new years eve. Actually I don’t care about it much lately. I’ve been training from September so I’m still confident of my own strength......

Interviewer: Have you paid any attention to Rulon Gardner before?

Yoshida: He beat Karelin (Alexander). That’s all I knew about him.

Interviewer: In spite of such insufficient info, you accepted the deal?

Yoshida: Yea, I heard he is a gold medalist, so I just said ok I will fight him.

Interviewer: Are you become more conscious of the fact that this match is gonna be two gold medalists against each other?

Yoshida: He got gold medal in Olympics so I understand he is a fighter endowed with spirit, technique and strength. And also he beat that Karelin. I was in Olympics and I know nobody can win in Olympics if those three things were not completed. He’s much bigger than me. I feel like I’m like a challenger.

Interviewer: I remember you have fought 135kilo class guy when you were doing judo.

Yoshida: Yeah, but Rulon was beyond my expectation like you know his upper body is so huge, his arms are so big and hands are so thick. I was kinda surprised when I shook hands with him. I think he’s got strong power. If he tackles me I might be submitted.

Interviewer: Yoshida is submitted by him!?

Yoshida: He can hold my gi but I can’t. He is a wrestler and he is good at lifting and throwing the opponent you know.

Interviewer: If both of you are on the ground, you might have more chance.

Yoshida: It’s risky that he got mount position. I need to keep moving not to be set underneath him.

Interviewer: His parents run a farm and he used to carry two of each 50kilo bucket which had feed for cattle.

Yoshida: He is not only a big guy. To tell the truth I’m nervous. I don’t know how much power he’s got. I’m really nervous. This is his first time doing MMA so I have no idea what strategy he has. I think he is already researching about me….this one is gonna be hard. I replied OK but give me a break…

Interviewer: You become weak kneed suddenly (laughs) but you also have striking skill.

Yoshida: I just started practicing it recently. The audience will get excited if we exchange the blows…but it must be painful.

Interviewer: I just learned that you are going to the gym ’RIKIX’ (Riki Onodera’s). Did you feel much need for learning striking skill?

Yoshida: Yes. But I don’t have to be a striking fighter. I need to get used to the speed of blows. If my eyes are not following its movements, I can not avoid them.

Interviewer: Doing some standup practice makes you have gained in breadth in your performance.

Yoshida: That’s right, but I still have judo’s habit of pivot foot.

Interviewer: What’s the difference between a pivot of Judo and that of Striking?

Yoshida: It’s different. When you play judo, you put your weight on your pivot feet so pivot is not in the center of the body. But when you do punches, you gotta brace your legs and twist your waist. Pivot must be in the center of the body. It is difficult for me to change my habit from now on.

Interviewer: I see.

Yoshida: I can not control my pivot, when I punch I always put my weight on my right feet, also I ‘m right handed but for feet I’m left. It’s kinda complicated. I’m trying to fix it but it takes a long time to go. Well, may be I can go see Silva (Wandarlei). I want him to teach me knees.

Interviewer: Really?

Yoshida: Just kidding (laughs)

Interviewer: Silva keeps winning in Pride.

Yoshida: He seems like he is much stronger now than I fought before. Jackson’s nose got broken.

Interviewer: Your final goal is to revenge to Silva?

Yoshida: I like to face him again. I think he made me a good objective for fighting him again. I’m experiencing his punches once so I hardly get scared if I fight other strikers. Kosaka got a Pancrase heavyweight title, right? I saw that belt in a rocker room and I feel like oh I want middle weight Pride belt (laughs)

Interviewer: Pride belt is so gorgeous as well as Pancrase belt.

Yoshida: DSE might make a successful bid if I put up Pride belt for the Yahoo auction (laughs). DSE has to get it back so price is going up and up. Yea right, I will get the belt and put it up for auction (laughs).

Mike
06-12-2004, 04:20
thnx cool interview :thumbs:

mossad
06-12-2004, 17:54
Hij is wel erg bescheiden.

Nickuraba
06-12-2004, 18:03
leuk!! :thumbs:

Jay Hoov
08-12-2004, 13:26
Grappig!!!