PDA

View Full Version : Tarver - Johnson spoiler

Makijs
19-12-2004, 09:41
Johnson Out-Works Tarver to Capture Light Heavyweight Crown
By Doug Fischer (December 19, 2004)
Photo © Mr.Will HoganPhotos.com
Send this page to friend Give us your feedback
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
LOS ANGELES, Dec. 18 - Glen Johnson out-worked Antonio Tarver over 12 entertaining rounds to capture universal recognition as the light heavyweight champion of the world by a close, split decision at the Staples Center, proving that hard work and persistence eventually pays off if you keep the faith and your nose to the grindstone.

Johnson, who improved to 42-9-2 (28), won the fight by two scores of 115-113. The third official judge scored the bout for Tarver, who dropped to 22-3 (18), by a 116-112 tally. The opinionon who won was split at ringside. Those who favor clean power punches thought Tarver landed enough of them to win the fight. Those who favor aggression and volume punching thought Johnson won it.

It was that type of fight. Both fighters took turns dominating the rounds with their specific styles. However, in the past, Johnson never won close the close fights. At least seven of his 11 "non-wins" could have gone his way, but the fighter known as the "Road Warrior" was usually in the hometown boxer's turf.

But 2004 was a breakout year for the Florida-based Jamaican. He began the year winning the IBF title in England. In September, he shocked the boxing world by knocking out former champ Roy Jones (earning his shot against Tarver, who turned the trick in May). With tonight's victory, a man who was though of as a middleweight bust and a mere journeyman at 168 pounds (once losing four fights in a row in that weight class), may have clinched 'Fighter of the Year' honors.

"Hard work, determination - I just keep on working" was how Johnson described his key to victory.

Indeed, it was Johnson's work ethic that allowed him to out-hussle Tarver over the first three rounds of the bout. Johnson bulled his way forward behind a relentless jab, his chin tucked and hands held high. Once Tarver's back touched the ropes, Johnson unleased hard body shots followed by hooks and crosses to the head.

Tarver, who appeared bone dry when he entered the ring, began to lossen up by the end of the third round. The stylish southpaw broke through mid-way through the fourth, stinging Johnson with his vaunted left hand and followed up with clean combinations before the bell.

Johnson raged back in the fifth round, landing an uppercut and then going to Tarver's body with both hands. But Tarver took control of sixth round with a series of hard lefts to Johnson's body and head, some of which stunned the iron-chinned Jamaican.

However, Johnson refused to submit to Tarver's greater punching power and came out hard in the seventh round, straining and grunting with every shot thrown. There was not a lot of power on Johnson's punches, but his aggression kept Tarver on the defensive for much of the round.

Tarver came back in the eighth, stunning Johnson with a big left and then getting off with hard one-two and hook-cross combinations for the rest of the round.

In the ninth, Johnson continued to throw more punches than Tarver, who landed the cleaner shots, but Johnson did not come forward as much as he did in the early rounds, perhaps respecting Tarver's power. Or perhaps Johnson was merely taking a well-deserved breather.

In the 10th round, Johnson resumed his forward march, again pressing the action, landing more punches, and keeping Tarver backpedaling and on the defesive for much of the round.

In the 11th, Tarver stood his ground and traded with Johnson in the center of the ring. Both fighters dug deep and landed power shots - Tarver with the left. Johnson with the right.

In the 12th, Tarver showed his championship heart after he buckled Johnson's legs with a big left. Tarver poured it on, throwing wild right hooks and left crosses, bringing the crowd to its feet while Johnson retaliated.

Johnson's effort won over the crowd, which chanted his name before the scorecrads were read, but Tarver, as expected, thought he did enough to remain champ.

"I hurt him in the last round," Tarver said after the fight. "I hit him with some good, hard shots. I'm not one to make excuses but I hurt my left hand early in the fight. I caught him with a good shot in the fourth or fifth round and I had excruciating pain.

"I did enough to win the fight. When he hit me, he didn't get anything. I want the rematch."

There was a rematch clause in the contract, and Johnson said he is more than willing to give Tarver a return bout.

"Antonio Tarver proved that he is a great champion," said the humble new champ, "I will definitely give him a rematch."

When Tarver stopped Jones in two rounds earlier this year, he boldly proclaimed himself to be the best fighter, pound-foor-pound, in the sport. There was no such chest pounding from Johnson.

"No, I am not the best," he said. "I'm still looking for the best. I would never call myself the best."

Johnson doesn't have to call himself the best. Boxing fans now know that he's the best light heavyweight in the world.

The Road Warrior's quest for glory has been a long, hard and painful one but it finally ended tonight at the Staples Center.

http://www.maxboxing.com/Fischer/Fischer121904.asp

Maupie
19-12-2004, 20:01
thanks MAkijs :thumbs: