PDA

View Full Version : Tito Ortiz Intervieuw

Nicky
18-01-2005, 08:00
From the first time I ever spoke with Tito Ortiz until today, one thing has remained absolutely constant – his desire to fight Vitor Belfort. Now, after two injury-aborted attempts and more than three years in the making, the two former UFC champions will finally do battle in the Octagon at UFC 51 – well, assuming disaster doesn’t strike yet again before February 5th. And Ortiz couldn’t be more excited.

“It’s finally happening, man! I’ve been waiting a long time for this fight,� Tito Ortiz told InsideFighting. “Before I fought Patrick Cote (at UFC 50 in October), Dana asked me if I wanted to fight Belfort in February. I said, ‘Yes, please. Please give me the contract and I’ll sign it right now.’ I actually signed my contract before he did.�

For the fans questioning Ortiz’s commitment to the fight game, hearing him sound so eager to fight someone is refreshing. All the talk and hype since they were originally supposed to fight back at UFC 33: Victory in Vegas, has finally come to a head for the former champs.

“Belfort is going to get what’s coming to him,� he said. “He’s talked a lot of shit over the last three and a half years. Now, it’s finally going to happen. I’m very excited about it. He’s going to have a world of hurt in front of him, and that’s Tito Oritz!�

Tito’s excitement stems principally from the fact that he has absolutely no doubt whatsoever in his mind that he will defeat Belfort. Sure, a fighter is supposed to believe that he will win his fight. He is supposed to enter the Octagon with no doubts in his mind. But that isn’t always the case.

On February 5th, however, that is precisely the situation for Ortiz.

“I know what it takes to beat Vitor Belfort,� he explained. “I know what it takes to push the game and get into his head mentally. I know he’s got a lot of doubt in his mind right now. He wonders if he can pull it off.

“I know what it takes to pick him apart. So, I’m happy that this fight is finally here. I just hope he doesn’t get injured these last few weeks and that his camp goes perfectly. I know he’s training with the Brazilian Top Team, so I know he’s getting his ass handed to him right now. On February 5th, we’ll see just how tough Vitor Belfort really is.�

There is no question that Tito Ortiz has a rather large chip on his shoulder right now. After suffering back-to-back losses and then failing to finish a smaller, less skilled Cote in his last fight, many people are counting out the Huntington Beach Bad Boy.

In fact, Ortiz opened as the betting underdog both offshore and in Las Vegas for the first time since he won UFC gold – yes, a few books opened him as the underdog against Ken Shamrock in 2002, but there’s an underlying explanation that we’ll save for another time. His last three fights obviously have something to do with the betting line, but Ortiz isn’t buying any of it.

“People have to understand, I’m no average fighter,� Ortiz said. “Yeah, I lost to Chuck Liddell and Randy Couture, but those guys were at the top of their games when I fought them. I picked Patrick Cote apart when I actually had torn ligaments in my ankle. I was disappointed that I didn’t finish the kid, but I had a lot on my mind. I just needed a win in that fight.

“If Belfort is looking at the Cote fight thinking that’s all I’ve got, then he’s in a world of trouble. People say you’re only as good as your last fight. I’m as good as all of my fights, not just my last fight. And I’m only getting better and better.�

In order to keep improving his game, the Huntington Beach Bad Boy returned to the mountains of Big Bear, California to train in isolation for the first time since the Couture fight. Although Ortiz is no longer working with his long-time trainer, Colin Oyama, he assures everyone that he will step into the Octagon focused, in shape, and fully prepared to take care of business.

“My biggest key to victory is picking him apart,� he said. “I’ve got to make sure that I capitalize on his mistakes. I’ve got to take the fight to him and see if he can handle the pressure. I don’t want to tip my hand too much at this point, because we’re both great fighters. But I’ve got a game plan and he won’t be able to handle it.

“Belfort probably hopes that I’m going to come with a bad game plan, but that’s not going to happen. I’m a smart fighter. I’m focused. I don’t doubt myself at all. The win is already over. It’s already happened. I’m just going to go out there and entertain the fans – give them a great show.�

Of course, Ortiz fully realizes that this is the last fight of his UFC contract. A great performance against Vitor Belfort will give him much more leverage at the bargaining table when it comes time to hammer out a new deal. So fans should expect to see nothing less than Tito Ortiz at his absolute best.

“Belfort’s got to understand that I’m coming with my A game,� he said. “I’m coming prepared. I’ll be ready to go the full three rounds. It’s going to be a grueling three rounds – a bloody three rounds. I’m coming in there to cut him up and beat him up. I’m going to test his heart. I’m going to see how strong he is mentally and physically.�

In closing, Tito Ortiz had a very simple message for Vitor Belfort:

“Vitor, you’d better bring your A game! We’ll see how tough you really are,� he said. “I’m going to squeeze you. I hope you like elbows, punches and knees. We’ll see if you like to get cut up, because that’s what I’m looking to do…cut you up like butter!�

Finally, it’s on!

bryan
18-01-2005, 09:55
pffff hij blijft een grote mond hebben.....eerst zien dan geloven..

vitor A game > tito A game.....

Jay Hoov
18-01-2005, 10:04
Wat word ik moe van die Tito...waarom altijd zo'n bullshit verhaal eromheen....Ga naar Ufc 51...vecht je partij, en praat er daarna over!!!

Ps Ik hoop op Vitor...maar kijk niet raar als Tito wint.....Vitor heeft het zelf in handen!!

TheSkindo
18-01-2005, 10:14
EchtAmerikaans, al die gasten doen dat.Krijge ze wwrscijnlijk voor btaalt ook

Dennis
18-01-2005, 13:13

Niet allemaal, Randy Coutore bijvoorbeeld.

Maar inderdaad, ik denk dat gehalte trash-talk bij de amerikanen erg hoog ligt

p diddy
18-01-2005, 13:21
het is zo moeilijk met vitor je weet nooit in wat voor mood hij is?? als hij vecht zoals hij kan dan zie ik hem wel winnen anders krijgt hij het heel moeilijk.

Mike
18-01-2005, 13:26

Niet allemaal, Randy Coutore bijvoorbeeld.

Maar inderdaad, ik denk dat gehalte trash-talk bij de amerikanen erg hoog ligt

wat denk je dat al die brazilianen roepen voor en na de wedstrijden. Die schelden ook de hele boel uit en hebben een grote bek. Tis dat we ze nooit verstaan maar reken er maar niet op dat zij minder trash talken dan de amerikanen.

Judas
18-01-2005, 14:22
Maakt me geen reet uit of je nou amerikaans of braziliaans of wat dan ook bent. Als je zo'n overdreven grote smoel hebt, geniet ik als diegene pak slaag krijgt.

Emilio
18-01-2005, 14:32
JEzus wat is die Tito toch een zielig figuur. Hij klinkt net als een WWFstar.

ik hoop op een Belfort in topvorm! hopelijk wordt Tito even gestunned en kan Vitor het afmaken met zn incredible handspeed ;)

Remco
18-01-2005, 15:05
Het is me duidelijk dat Tito publiek probeert te trekken. Een volle zaal en mooie winst voor Tito zal zijn onderhandelingspositie goed doen.

Persoonlijk vind ik Tito wat dat betreft over the top. Hij dist zoveel dat het niet meer effectief is. Heel mooi vond ik de confrontatie tussen hem en Randy. Randy bleef maar glimlachen, terwijl Tito flauwe grapjes over Randy's kalende hoofd maakte.

Heerlijke manier om iemand de mond te snoeren! Toch gun ik Tito de winst tegen Belfort wel, Belfort is me te onprofessioneel voor de UFC. Hij komt bij mij nog steeds over als het verwende zondagskind. Go Tito.