PDA

View Full Version : Don King krijgt TV Kanaal !?

Nicky
30-01-2005, 18:18
DON KING CONFIRMS PLANS FOR TV FIGHTING CHANNEL
Submitted by: E.Goldman/Boxing & Wrestling Editor
Posted On 01/15/2005

For some time boxing promoter Don King has been outspoken, in his usual understated way, of course, about his displeasure with the way he claims he has been treated by the American television networks.

He has accused HBO of not properly promoting and marketing his pay-per-view shows, and even of trying to steal his fighters. King's pay-per-view of Nov. 13, 2004, from Madison Square Garden, headlined by WBA heavyweight champ John Ruiz fighting Andrew Golota and IBF heavyweight champ Chris Byrd fighting Jameel McCline, only got a paltry 120,000 buys. Now King is also suing ESPN and its parent company, Disney, for $2.5 billion, charging that a 'SportsCentury' show on him was defamatory.

At the same time, reports have surfaced that King is planning on establishing a television channel of his own. King owns the rights to an extensive library of the fight cards which he has promoted over the years. The rapid expansion of channel capacity through the growth of digital cable and satellite television systems in recent years has made the introduction of such a niche channel featuring the combat sports a possibility.

Speaking in New York on Wednesday after a press conference announcing his suit against ESPN, King confirmed that he is indeed planning on setting up such a channel.

'We're working feverishly on that,' he confirmed. Although he provided no specifics or time frame, he did state, 'It's an idea whose time has come.'

King went on to explain, 'It has to be that way because since I've dropped the gauntlet and said I want a channel for boxing, naturally they wasn't giving me nothing in the first place. So now it's going to be more extremely difficult. But at least it will be honest. Before you would just get ambiguity, you was getting a lot of b.s. about this, that, and the other, and that we'd love to have you. But they'd tell all my fighters, 'Oh, we want you on this one. We want you.' ' King then said about these networks that in the end, 'they don't take them.'

He did stress that this is no longer just an idea. 'It's a definite that I gotta get,' he said of such a channel. 'It ain't even a question no more. It's a must.'

King also confirmed that such a channel would not focus exclusively just on boxing. Asked specifically if its programming might also include mixed martial arts and 'ultimate fighting,' he replied, 'Yes. It will be a fight channel. It will bring all forms of fighting.'

He added, 'Just let me get the channel. That's what I need. It will make a lot of people happy.'

Silat
30-01-2005, 19:24
die vent mogen ze ophangen op z'n eigen tv zender :twak:

KO TKO
30-01-2005, 21:17
Lijkt me leuk een TV zender over boksen. Ik hoop dat het dan ook in Nederland te zien is.
Don King is een hele goede bokspromoter en ik denk dat hij ook een goede bokszender kan maken.

Ko Hops
30-01-2005, 22:42
King een eigen TV Zender. Laten we afwachting wat voor rare dingen hij van plan is.

Mike
30-01-2005, 22:44
Lijkt me leuk een TV zender over boksen. Ik hoop dat het dan ook in Nederland te zien is.
Don King is een hele goede bokspromoter en ik denk dat hij ook een goede bokszender kan maken.

t zal zeker niet in NL te zien zijn op tv. We zijn niet interessant als markt voor Don King en de zender zal te duur zijn voor nederlandse televisiestations.