PDA

View Full Version : Why Are There Tournments?

Sachet
12-02-2005, 05:05
Would anyone from MixFight like to have their picture put in the next issue of the MA Question of the Month?

Ironlife eZine MA Question of the Month
due date 2/20

hiya guys~
If you don't know, I'm still learning about MAs so you might think this question is crazy~

I recently watched a movie called Blood Sport on TV.
To be honest, I turned it on mainly because I saw Jean Claude Van damme's name in the TV guide.
It was really good in my opinion, well.. except when the fights got ugly since I'm not big on violence and then I missed parts because I wasn't watching them punch each other.
Anyway, sections of the movie made me realize that the art, philosophy and spiritual aspects of MAs can't be learned through books or through just any of the many MA schools listed in the yellow pages. The disciplines are passed down from generation to generation by way of direct contact with someone truly knowledgeable.

I have also been reading alot regarding MAs during the past year and I'm given the distinct impression that the philosophy behind the art teaches you NOT to fight. If that's true, why are there tournaments?
Which MA do you practice and have you ever competed outside your training facility? If so, do you think the great masters of past are rolling over in their graves knowing you're competing for prize money and awards?

Justinian
12-02-2005, 09:25
First of all, Bloodsport is one of the best movies of Jean Claude van Damme :thumbs: I really liked that movie and probably saw more then 4 times or so.

I think that if you want to be a good fighter, you have to compete. At least that’s my experience. I have trained with guys who have trained for a long time, but never competed. You will notice the difference. I practice Judo, Jiu Jitsu, MMA and kickboxing (if I have the time). If you compete in tournaments you will learn a lot more then when you just go to you training facility and train with the same guys over and over again. For this reason I think it is also good to train outside your gym once in a while, just stay loyal to your own gym. The fact that nowadays you can compete for prize money isn’t strange and I don’t think the ‘great masters’ would roll over in their graves. The martial arts are evolving (just like everything else) and I am sure that they would encourage it.

Your point that the philosophy behind martial arts is not to fight. Well, I can tell from my experience that when I train I feel less aggressive in everyday life, more relaxed. That’s why my parents wanted me to start with Judo when I was 5 years old, so I could control my anger.

Ronald
13-02-2005, 14:05
I have also been reading alot regarding MAs during the past year and I'm given the distinct impression that the philosophy behind the art teaches you NOT to fight. If that's true, why are there tournaments?
They teach you not to fight a real fight. A tournament is still practising your sport.

Justinian
20-02-2005, 19:10
TTT!

shyne
20-02-2005, 19:27
You're not fighting, you're competing...
It's the only way to see who's best, at the moment.
besides bloodsport is fake, it's a movie...

In most martial arts matches aren't even full contact or suppost to hit/hurt the oponent.

I think the great master are very proud of how big the sport of mixed martial arts is becomming world wide. Bruce Lee also fought, and who's better known them him?

Christophe
20-02-2005, 20:16
I can tell from my experience that when I train I feel less aggressive in everyday life, more relaxed.

Same here! :wink:

harry
20-02-2005, 20:24
The martial arts are evolving (just like everything else) and I am sure that they would encourage it.
Totaly agree with this.

But I don't agree with shyne, that you are You're not fighting, you're competing...
Maybe some people see it or feel it that way, but I think a lot of people see it just like me, that it is just really hard "permitted" fighting (with or without rules).
Where else can you get an adrenaline rush like this? It’s the ultimate, two opponents standing in front of each other knowing one of us/them is going down.

Eeh that's my opinion but I am just a best stuurlui stand to rampart :roll: