PDA

View Full Version : Is MMA Ever 'Too Violent' For You?

Sachet
13-04-2005, 06:17
Is MMA ever "too violent" for you?

I ask this because for the first time in years I've been going back and watching earlier UFC's that I loved back 3 or 4 years ago, but now I just find some of it too violent. As fight fans I guess we are desensitized to violence more than the average joe, but was there or is there something in MMA that you think is too violent or that makes you uneasy?

Certain fights pop to mind, Gary Goodridge vs Paul Herrara was one, that was just brutal, but one that stands out is Pat Smith vs that one guy in I think UFC 2 where he kept repeatedly smashing him with forearms and the ref didn't do anything, luckily Pat Smith stopped the punishment himself. Maybe I'm getting soft in my old age but those paticular fights make me uneasy as hell, it makes me almost feel guilty for watching. Thank god the reffing have improved tenfold over the years to the point where that kind of stuff just doesn't happen anymore and the fighter's safety is always top priority.

Currently the only thing that makes me uneasy is stomps in Pride while a guy is down, I think that needs to go. Soccer kicks are pretty crazy but I think they are fair game. What are your opinions on it?

*Question~ compliments of CaptainPoohPant for the eZine

Mike
13-04-2005, 09:35

I ask this because for the first time in years I've been going back and watching earlier UFC's that I loved back 3 or 4 years ago, but now I just find some of it too violent. As fight fans I guess we are desensitized to violence more than the average joe, but was there or is there something in MMA that you think is too violent or that makes you uneasy?

Certain fights pop to mind, Gary Goodridge vs Paul Herrara was one, that was just brutal, but one that stands out is Pat Smith vs that one guy in I think UFC 2 where he kept repeatedly smashing him with forearms and the ref didn't do anything, luckily Pat Smith stopped the punishment himself. Maybe I'm getting soft in my old age but those paticular fights make me uneasy as hell, it makes me almost feel guilty for watching. Thank god the reffing have improved tenfold over the years to the point where that kind of stuff just doesn't happen anymore and the fighter's safety is always top priority.

Currently the only thing that makes me uneasy is stomps in Pride while a guy is down, I think that needs to go. Soccer kicks are pretty crazy but I think they are fair game. What are your opinions on it?

They should do more and harder stomps in Pride , i love that shit !
Realy to be honest i find myself watching fights these days and i complain about the lack of violence compared to the good old days. Most fighters are all about tecnhique and skill wich is great and all , but i prefer wachting the fights were both guys go at it like madmen and bash eachothers face in. Nowadays with all these rules and quick referee stoppages there is a lack of violence in fighting wich should be brougth back to the game quickly imo ! Too many rules will eventualy kill the sport as it is today. :lol:

on the other hand if u want to make this sport ' mainstream' and u want to take care of the health of the fighters than it would be wiser to not allow almost everything in the ring.

But i say keep up the stomps and elbows :thumbs: man i realy miss the lowblows and hairpulling from the old ufc's :lol:

Kato
13-04-2005, 12:12

They should do more and harder stomps in Pride , i love that shit !
Realy to be honest i find myself watching fights these days and i complain about the lack of violence compared to the good old days. Most fighters are all about tecnhique and skill wich is great and all , but i prefer wachting the fights were both guys go at it like madmen and bash eachothers face in. Nowadays with all these rules and quick referee stoppages there is a lack of violence in fighting wich should be brougth back to the game quickly imo ! Too many rules will eventualy kill the sport as it is today. :lol:

on the other hand if u want to make this sport ' mainstream' and u want to take care of the health of the fighters than it would be wiser to not allow almost everything in the ring.

But i say keep up the stomps and elbows :thumbs: man i realy miss the lowblows and hairpulling from the old ufc's :lol:

Is ook erg goed voor het image van de sport..... buiten het feit dat we sommige vechters moeten zullen gaan missen omdat ze te veel blessures krijgen na footstomps e.d.

Kortom ik vind het allemaar goed dat het beter geregelementeert is dan vroeger

Justinian
13-04-2005, 21:01
For me personally, regulated fights like Pride/UFC etc. can’t be too violent. If you have well trained athletes, a good coach, a doctor near the ring and a competent referee there is no problem. They can all end the fight when they think they have to stop the fight. I do agree that in some of the early UFC’s the referee didn’t step in when he had too. Sachet wrote about Pat smith, but what do you think about the Remco Pardoel vs Orlando Wiet fight (UFC 2)? Remco stopped elbowing when he noticed Orlando passed out, before the referee stepped in… Luckily for Orlando Remco is a nice guy.

I know some might find footstomps/soccer kicks too violent, but I don’t. It’s all in the game: that’s MMA. Like I wrote, there are people at ringside who can end the fight if they think they have to. The only fights that make me uneasy are street fights, because the fighters don’t have the guarantee that another person will step up and end the fight if they are not able to.

Emilio
13-04-2005, 21:17
Sometimes I kinda hesitate by myself why i watch mma when somebody gets hammered real badly but a few seconds later I think that those persons had made the descision to enter the ring/cage all by themselves. They were not forced to fight.

And at the other side. Isn't it the exciting aspect of mma that fights can take such dramatic changes when somebody slips for example? :P

maartenjackie
13-04-2005, 23:47
footstomps in pride are too violent for me

inc
14-04-2005, 12:39
i'm 2 sided... when i look back i liked the atmosphere of UFC in the urly day's... there was no mma it was 4example karate vs wrestling... but when de rules include hairpulling( World combat) and kicks in the balls... thats 2 brutal 2 call a sport. loved the way the sport has grown. In events like pride or the current ufc the ref's are so good in stopping the fight be4 violence begins... and i think thats good for the competitors and most of all 4 the sport we all love... right?

Pieter mulder
14-04-2005, 16:14
In the beginning I didn't even like MMA. I thought it were a bunch of stupid people who liked to kick the shit out of eachother.
I watched K1 though, and liked that a lot !
Then I started doing BJJ and also started watching some MMA vids.
Now I like it a lot, as long as it both fighters are matched !
And I like the ground techniques more that in the past because I know what they are doing.

save Pieter

B3 lik3 M3
14-04-2005, 17:14
Damn!! That's a lot of experience!! You are a real tough mo'fucka... ain't you?

Wait till you see him in "real life"

:lol:

I'm not the one who gets knocked the fuck out in 5 seconds

Hahaha an open door... we'll meet eachother on the mat someday..

En bij deze een uitnodiging voor me volgende partij jonge ;)

Fr3ddy
14-04-2005, 18:59

Leon
14-04-2005, 19:02
Waarschijnlijk omdat het meer naar de diss kant ging, wat uiteraard niet de bedoeling is

Nickuraba
14-04-2005, 19:09
I liked it from the start. But i guess some brutal shit doesn't work since they are better trained these days...

I mean the most brutal stuff was @ UFC 1 and so on. Some of the fighters weren't even atlethes, but just barfighters. Now since most UFC fighters are more skilled, you will see a change in the gameplan.

Leon
14-04-2005, 19:51
I liked it from the start. But i guess some brutal shit doesn't work since they are better trained these days...

I mean the most brutal stuff was @ UFC 1 and so on. Some of the fighters weren't even atlethes, but just barfighters. Now since most UFC fighters are more skilled, you will see a change in the gameplan.

I loved those raw (real) anything goes fights, just like Tank Abott.
He was a barfighter too! He had huge strikes but nowadays he has
such a disadvantage because he still has this haymaker technique

Nickuraba
15-04-2005, 17:15
exactly what i mean, nowadays the fighters are way more skilled, so by pulling of huge haymakers (that does look brutal) you wont win, so fights have more technique in it! i like it better these days

Sachet
22-04-2005, 07:24
Would someone translate Kato's response for me please?

Kato
Re:Mike
Is ook erg goed voor het image van de sport..... buiten het feit dat we sommige vechters moeten zullen gaan missen omdat ze te veel blessures krijgen na footstomps e.d.

sebastiaan
22-04-2005, 13:37
personaly i really like MMA today,its a lot safer then it was and a lot more athletic.
When i was around 15 years old i bought some of those early mma vids and they where indeed a bit to violent,or better,a bit to dangerous,but as a 15 year old i loved it simply because it looked so dam bloody.
(the first cage fight in amsterdam,with kicking to the balls and stuff)
But my boxing neighbour told me that those fights just seemed mis matched and maybe that was indeed the problem with the early ufc's and such.

Anyway,i love the way things are now!
And the only thing that might be a bit to dangerous are some slams,suplexes and piledrivers,we dont want to break our oponents neck now would we.

Tering Nederlands is toch lekkerder..

Justinian
22-04-2005, 22:39
Would someone translate Kato's response for me please?

Kato
It’s something like this translated:

Kato
It’s pretty good for the image of the sport... except for the fact that we’re going to miss some of the fighters because they will sustain too many injuries after footstomps etc.
To make a long story short, I think it’s for the best that there are better rules nowadays.

Punk in drublic
23-04-2005, 01:52
To me footstomps are ok.
Sure it's violent but I really do like the possibility witch opens up using them.
Elbows makes the ground game way more interresting. The only problem with that is the danger of cutting you're openent witch makes the outcome of a fight a bit ...... For instance the Chris Leben semi final in the TUF competition. Kenny Florian was in big trouble. The elbow was the thing that did turn the match. A huge cut.

But overall the rules nowadays, doctors refs and such, made the game the best there is. Just waiting for a combination of footstomps and elbows to unify the rules in pride and the ufc.