PDA

View Full Version : Zaterdag Wladimir Klitschko ARD

Makijs
19-04-2005, 22:53
http://sport.ard.de/sp/boxen/news200504/18/klitschko_gegen_castillo.jhtml

http://sport.ard.de/sp/boxen/news200504/18/img/kltischklo_180_dpa.jpg

Klitschko will mit Sieg gegen Castillo zurück in die Weltspitze

Wladimirs letzte Chance

Ohne Respekt vor dem Ex-Weltmeister tritt Eliseo Castillo am Samstag (23.04.05, live in der ARD) in Dortmund zum Kampf gegen Wladimir Klitschko an. "Mein Plan ist zu gewinnen, ich weiß nur noch nicht, in welcher Runde", erklärte der 29-Jährige fünf Tage vor dem Fight.

Der Exil-Kubaner, der vor zwölf Jahren mit seinen zwei Brüdern in einem Boot aus dem kommunistischen Inselstaat geflohen war, weist eine Kampfbilanz von 18 Siegen auf, 14 Erfolge gelangen vorzeitig. Er ist noch ungeschlagen und kämpfte einmal unentschieden.

"Er ist einer der schwierigsten Gegner, dem man sich stellen kann", lobte Klitschko-Coach Emmanuel Steward den Mittelamerikaner. Castillo hatte allerdings mit Ausnahme des Altstars Michael Moorer, den er im Juli 2004 nach Punkten bezwang, noch keinen namhaften Gegner vor den Fäusten.

Für Klitschko ist der Kampf in der Westfalenhalle wohl die
letzte Gelegenheit, um durch einen überzeugenden Erfolg noch einmal in die Weltklasse vorzustoßen. Eine vierte Niederlage darf sich der 29-Jährige jedenfalls nicht mehr leisten. "Über die letzte Chance will ich noch nicht sprechen", meinte Klitschko, "mein Lied ist noch nicht zu Ende gesungen, aber ich stelle mir meine Lage anders vor, als sie sich in den letzten zwei Jahren dargestellt hat."

Anders als normalerweise muss er diesmal voraussichtlich ohne
die Unterstützung seines Bruders Witali Klitschko auskommen, der sich am Dienstag (19.04.05) oder Mittwoch (20.04.05) in Los Angeles einer leichten Rückenoperation unterziehen muss. "Vielleicht schafft er es ja noch", meinte Wladimir: "Aber er ist sowieso im Geiste immer bei mir."

Makijs
19-04-2005, 22:55
http://sport.ard.de/sp/komponente/mediabox/index.jhtml;jsessionid=Y1QWWGUFGUEG2CQKYXFETIQ?

Filmpje

Maupie
20-04-2005, 01:37
thanks makijs

KO TKO
20-04-2005, 17:39
Bedankt Makijs

Makijs
21-04-2005, 14:13
http://www.ringsidereport.com/Wilbur4202005.htm

Boxing: Klitschko Looking For Confidence
By Brian Wilbur - April 20, 2005

On April 23rd, HBO's Boxing after Dark will feature undefeated Eliseo Castillo fighting Wladimir Klitschko. HBO has decided to counter program the ESPN PPV with this fight. An interesting decision since Klitschko is off of two poor performances and Castillo is relatively unknown. HBO has done an excellent job marketing the Klitschko brothers though, so there will be some boxing fans that will be interested in this one. Serguei Lyakhovich was initially scheduled as Klitschko's opponent, but he had to pull out due to passport problems.

Fans of Wladimir Klitschko have to be wondering what went wrong. The younger of the two heavyweight boxing brothers was thought to be the better of the two. He had all of the tools and looked very polished. Wladimir was supposedly destined for greatness. In 2002, after impressive back to back knockout wins over Ray Mercer and Jameel McCline, boxing fans had trouble making a list of more than two or three heavyweights that could beat the young Ukrainian prize fighter. So much for that. Today, a shorter list would be a list of which heavyweight contenders cannot beat Wladimir Klitschko. The secret to beating him is a secret no more. The game plan is not rocket science to carry out either. Bum-rush him. Get to his chin and he will drop like an apple on Sir Isaac Newton's head.

That is not saying that Klitschko is unskilled. He is an amazing athlete in that he is nearly 6'7 height with a punch to match his large frame and the speed and fluidity of a middleweight. If you don't charge in after him, he will pick you off from the outside and scientifically break you down. Like the Tin- Man needs a brain and the cowardly lion needs a heart; Wladimir would be a terrific boxer if he only had a chin (queue the Wizard of Oz music).

Conventional wisdom says that you don't recklessly dive in after a boxer with a great jab and, according to top trainer Freddie Roach, hits harder than Mike Tyson. That is why Wladimir's secret was safe for so long. Jameel McCline, who ironically made a name for himself by throwing caution to the wind and taking out Michael Grant in one round, was extremely careful in his bout with Klitschko. Wladimir, being the more skilled, technically sound boxer won just about every round against Jameel and ended up getting a late stoppage win. All of his opponents had done the same thing because they were deathly afraid of coming in and taking the heat. It took a semi retired, aspiring golfer that had nothing to lose to finally take a chance against the younger Klitschko. Corrie Sanders came out firing and knocked Wladimir down 4 times, ending up with a 2nd round technical knockout. The South African shocked the world. Although not nearly on the level of what Buster Douglas did against Mike Tyson in Tokyo, the odds for Sanders winning were somewhere around +1400 if I remember correctly.

Another way to beat Wladimir is to leave yourself open to getting hit, but somehow manage not to get knocked out. Both Lamon Brewster and Ross Puritty followed this strategy. They absorbed unholy beatings, but forced Wladimir to throw lots of punches and expend tremendous amounts of energy. After a few rounds, Klitschko was ready to pass out from exhaustion allowing Brewster and Puritty to get stoppage wins by simply surviving.

After suffering those three losses, he is the one fighting scared now. Wladimir looked frightened in his last encounter against DaVarryl Williamson. The confidence accumulated over time from blowing out some pretty good competition has vanished. It is not that he lacks heart either. To his credit, Wladimir has risen to his feet after every knock down that he has ever suffered. He always come to fight in shape and gives his best effort. He is just now aware of the harsh reality and painful truth that he can get knocked out at any given moment by just about anybody. It is hard to come out confident and aggressive with those kinds of thoughts racing around your head.

Wladimir will never live up to the advertisements, however, that does not mean he cannot win a world title if he is matched correctly. Like I said before, the younger of the Klitschko brothers is an incredible talent with uncanny skills. If Wladimir is matched up with a boxer that does not have the strength to dent his chin, he has a great chance of winning. That is why this fight with Castillo makes sense for him. Eliseo is inexperienced in comparison, he has just one notable win on his ledger; a decision over an out of shape Michael Moorer, but on top of that, Castillo is not known for his one punch knockout power.

There was some talk about a rematch with Chris Byrd but Byrd refused to take the fight. I don't blame him. It is a bad stylist match up for Chris because he lacks a heavyweight punch. Wladimir is coming off of a loss and what should be a no contest so he has no business fighting for a world title at this point. Byrd has an old school mentality of not ducking anybody, but he is not stupid. There is a good chance that Byrd loses to Wladimir in a rematch so it makes no sense risking his title belt in a fight that he does not need, against an undeserving challenger. Byrd and his IBF Heavyweight belt is good goal for Klitschko to shoot for though. If he can rack up enough wins over boxers of Eliseo Castillo's caliber, the corrupt sanctioning body will give him the number one ranking and force Byrd to accept the match. There is no guarantee that Wladimir beats Byrd like he did in their 2000 meeting. The "Steelhammer" was riding a big wave of confidence back then. Can he repeat the results after all that he has encountered recently and lacking self-belief? No one knows for sure which is why a Byrd vs. Klitschko match is intriguing. But before any of that happens, Wladimir has to get past Eliseo Castillo on April 23rd.

[/img]

Makijs
21-04-2005, 15:56
Time for Dr Steel Hammer to strike
http://www.secondsout.com/World/news.cfm?ccs=225&cs=16110
http://www.secondsout.com/AcuCustom/Sitename/Icon/Item/Klitsbyrd1018.jpg
by Paul Upham
It wasn't that long ago that Wladimir Klitschko was considered the heavyweight who was going to establish himself as the next undisputed world champion after the Lewis, Holyfield and Tyson era. The 1996 Olympic Gold medallist had looked impressive enough between 2000 and 2002 against Chris Byrd, Frans Botha and Monte Barrett to suggest that he could be successful in a mediocre division. But three years later and many fans and critics are questioning whether the 29 year-old, known as 'Dr Steel Hammer' should even be boxing after knockout losses to Corrie Sanders and Lamon Brewster. When Klitschko faces Eliseo Castillo this Saturday night in Dortmund, Germany on HBO After Dark, he won't be fighting for a world title, but more against pubic opinion and the right to continue his career in big time boxing.

"I know there are a lot of people with a lot of doubts, but I do not even talk about it," said Klitschko. "I am looking forward to the fight with Castillo because he is one of the best technical heavyweight boxers right now. He is maybe not so famous, but he has good skills. He is undefeated and I think the fight will be pretty interesting for our audience."

The upset loss to South African Sanders in March 2003 where Klitschko hit the canvas four times was stunning. The TKO stoppage against Brewster in April 2004 had many convinced that there was something seriously wrong with him physically.

Rebuilding the career of the former young rising star has been left to legendary trainer Emanuel Steward. The man who had so much success in the heavyweight division with Evander Holyfield, Oliver McCall and Lennox Lewis believes that increasing the number of sparring rounds will make a great difference.

"Wladimir is doing very well and he has been spending a lot of time sparring," he said. "He has been sparring probably more than he has for any other fight. He will come into the fight very well prepared physically and mentally. We are very excited about the fight. We realize that it is very important and crucial to his career because we have not had a successful, very impressive victory for maybe two years, based on a lot of different incidents, but nevertheless, Wladimir realizes this and it is a very crucial fight in his life. He knows this and a lot of people are going to be making their final judgment on his career based on this fight."

After the loss to Brewster, Klitschko 43-3 (39) returned to the ring with a 5th round technical points win over DaVarryl Williamson after a head clash last October. Steward makes it clear that Klitschko was not struggling again after only a few rounds.

"He did not run out of gas against DaVarryl Williamson," Steward explained. "In fact, he was patiently waiting on Williamson to quit running. If you remember the fight exactly, Williamson was running, running, running, so Wladimir got impatient, threw a right hand from too far away, lost his balance and got hit. If you noticed when he went down, he was trying to grab his balance. And at the end of that round, the bell saved Williamson. People keep forgetting because Williamson for the first time came in and started to fight. Wladimir was never tired. In the next round, they bumped heads."

Slowing Klitschko's pace down at the beginning of a fight, like he did early in his career, is the key says Steward. "He beat Chris Bird very easily, knocked him down a few times," he said. "The one thing that I watched when I am doing my HBO broadcast and I admired was his stamina and patience, the way he just took his time, jabbed and wore guys out and knocked them out in the late rounds."

Originally this fight was to be a rematch with IBF world champion Byrd, but terms could not be agreed upon and Castillo was brought in as a replacement. The change of opponent and recent back injury to big brother and WBC champion Vitali Klitschko has not deterred Wladimir from going ahead with the fight.

"I decided that I did not want to wait for anybody," he said. "I just wanted to keep fighting and wanted to get busy. That is why I decided to fight on the 23rd of April. I have really enjoyed working with Emanuel and we have learned a lot of new things and new stuff. I really got itchy to get into the ring and try out everything that we have worked on for a few weeks."

Klitschko and Steward trained in Majorca off of the coast of Spain to prepare for this fight. "Wladimir likes to train someplace in the time zone and climate," said Steward. "He does not like to come in the last week and train like some guys do."

But 29 year-old Castillo 18-0-1 (14) from Cuba will not be an easy opponent, holding a last up points win over former world champion Michael Moorer last July. "I saw a couple of fights, especially his last fight against Moorer," said Klitschko." Moorer lost every single round. Castillo may not be well known, but he has very good Cuban boxing skills and moves a lot. He is one of the best technical boxers of the heavyweights."

The balance and movement of Castillo concerns Steward. "He moves very well," he said. "Like all good Cuban boxers, if you make mistakes, and you get off balance, they counter punch very rapidly and move in and out. That is very good for a small guy, but even if he may not be as big as Wladimir, his style of fighting will neutralize Wladimir's height if Wladimir is not on balance at all times. He must be very sharp and accurate because any mistake you make, Castillo will take advantage of it very quickly."

For someone who always appeared to have the skills and physical tools to compete with the best in the division, the downfall of Wladimir Klitschko has been quite baffling. Whether there were physical problems behind the scenes of the Brewster as alluded to by Steward and others, only Klitschko knows for sure. But someone who was good enough to win an Olympic Gold medal and defeat Chris Byrd does not simply disappear. On Saturday night Klitschko has the chance to get his career back on track and it is amazing how quickly an impressive victory can turn things around in boxing. It is all up to Klitschko and he is very aware of the pressure upon his broad shoulders. He can't afford to look ahead because if he loses to Castillo, his career really might be over.

"I would like to fight Eliseo Castillo and right now my focus is on that fight," he said. "I do not want to talk about anybody else right now because I think it is so important to focus on this fight. After this fight, we can talk."

Marco
21-04-2005, 18:38
lijkt nu of nooit voor deze Klitschko....ik ga wel ff kijken ben toch wel benieuwd naar deze match.