PDA

View Full Version : Arona interview (over Alistair en Pride GP)

makavelli
04-06-2005, 17:34
Ricardo Arona

By Marcelo Alonso and Alexandre Lobo

Pride GP on the road

Ricardo Arona was one of the big names of first round of Pride GP Middleweight, on last April 23. Now, Brazilian Top Team is ready for another war, at this time against Kazushi Sakuraba, during the quarter of finals. From your home, in Itacoatiara (Rio de Janeiro), Arona hosted TATAME crew and chat for long hours. During this conversation, BTT black belt pointed his favorites to Pride GP and analyzed all fighters, including his next opponent, Kazushi Sakuraba.

How was leaving behind ADCC 2005 to keep fighting at Pride GP? It was ADCC who put you in the road...

It was not easy and I was not happy with this decision. For me, Pride is way far important as ADCC. But, be sure I'll be fighting in 2007 and I'll be running at weight category to be back on the top once again.

Do you think you are the best middleweight fighter nowadays?

Each fighter has it best moves. Some are better applying take downs, other exchanging punches... I consider myself a complete athlete. But I still have to improve my game, as the others.

Who is the favorite to win the belt in your opinion?

It's hard to point a champion. I believe in me, RogĂ©rio and I ma not sure about Alistair Overeem and MaurĂ*cio Shogun. If they will fight the final match I don't know, but I really want this belt.

And Wanderlei (Silva)?

I don't think Wanderlei is favorite. His ground game is not good and Wrestling is not his thing. On the feet, he only counts on his pitty move. He only have it! He is just aggressive and with this move he might decide the bout. He is less complete than me, Minotouro, Shogun and Alistair, who for me improved his ground game a lot.

You are famous in BTT because you do not show up during the trains... How is your training for this second phase?

(laughing) Well, after this first round things are going to be a little complicated. Of course I'll have to train harder with my teammates. But to be honest, when I am not at BTT headquarter, I am taking care of my psychological or training in NiterĂłi, with Toniko JĂșnior (Muay Thai) and Marcelo Saroldi. I am not 100% doing only that and I know I will have to split my time with this kind of training.

How do you see all four bouts of this quarter of finals?

Overeem will not have major problems against Igor (Vovchanchyn) because he is taller. It's better to take Alistair to the ground and punish him. Igor showed a really ground game with Kondo, but I don't believe he will do it again. Wanderlei and Nakamura: Wanderlei is very strong and he may define the fight with a single move. But Japanese fighters are such a warriors and Nakamura is very intelligent. Against Shogun, Rogério cannot keep the fight on the feet. Shogun has a pretty violent knee and he might define the fight with a single blow, as he did with Quinton. In the end, even tough I do not have a fight strategy, I guess my fight will feature a great time on the feet and then a real battle on the ground.

Sakuraba said you are good on the feet and he would fight you to submit you or KO you...

(laughing). It's going to be great. I will be waiting for him. Does not matter how he plans to fight me. These days every Vale-Tudo fighter needs to be prepared to face any type of situation. I am not concerned about his plans. I am worried about how am I gonna be feeling on June 26. Sakuraba is a dangerous fighter and he has fought all tough guys. He's lost some fights, but won other ones. I cannot let this fight be decided by referee. Because they certainly will prefer a Japanese fighter doing the final.

Lots of people say you do a tied game. What do you think about that?

Every time I face a grappler I will do a tied game. And it cannot be different because he will try to submit me. When I faced Ninja, I had to tie it up, because he Pride, and my team honor. ZĂ© MĂĄrio got defeated by him and nobody deserves to take risks.

And against Sakuraba, don't you fear being defeated by referee's decision?

No. Sakuraba plays different. He is dangerous and his ground is basic. Like you do since you are a white belt. He only attacks with Americana, arm-lock, guillotine, Yu don't see Sakuraba doing hald guard.

What are you going to do if you win this GP?

If I win, I will fight for the weigh belt. against Wanderlei.

http://www.tatame.com.br/ingles/index.htm

makavelli
04-06-2005, 17:35
Hij heeft er wel kijk op :D :thumbs:
hij vind (net als mij) Alistair completer dan Silva!

Ossie
04-06-2005, 19:44
Hij heeft op veel punten gelijk idd.
Overeem is op de grond in mijn ogen een betere vechter geworden en ook beter dan Wanderlei.
Hoewel Wanderlei tot nu toe altijd mijn favoriet was en de gedoodverfde kampioen, begin ik er nu wel over te twijfelen.

Hollandpride
04-06-2005, 22:49
Super dat ie zo positief is over Allistair.

Maar zijn mening over Wanderlei is niet helemaal correct. Wanderlei heeft gestaan met Crocop en deed dat helemaal niet slecht. Op de grond is hij volgens mij nog nooit gesubbed.

Wandy is nog steeds mijn favoriet.

Anonymous
05-06-2005, 10:48
Silva is niet voor niks een blackbelt, hij vind op de grond rollen gewoon geen zak aan.

The Bulldog
05-06-2005, 14:15
IS hij black belt ja?

ik dacht paars.....

vind hem te gek , maar dat heeft vooral te maken met zijn agressieve vooruit vechtende stijl...

Hoop dat hij de finale haalt en mooist zou zijn tegen overeem natuurlijk....

Nickuraba
05-06-2005, 20:20
k vind saku echt wel iest meer dan een basic groundgame hebben man!

shyne
06-06-2005, 12:37
lekker boeiend wat hij zegt over wanderlei...
in de ring weet hij toch elke keer te bewijzen dat hij de ware middleweight champ is...
laat arona maar bewijzen wat hij waard is in de ring

Jay Hoov
06-06-2005, 12:48
Daar gaan we weer(voor de 20e keer), voor alle Silva Haters!!!
Silva heeft in Pride nog nooit van een LHW verloren, waarom zou ie nu opeens verliezen!
Rampage zou Silva ook kapot maken........Maar ja!

In ieder geval..Silva Gaat weer winnen, want uh, wie gaat er van Silva winnen dan???????

Ps Shogun kan het ook worden!