PDA

View Full Version : Ricky Hatton claims title!

Nickuraba
06-06-2005, 21:52
http://www.eurosport.com/imgbk/boxing/all/big_md-i186332.jpg

"I always said I was number one. If I can be half the fighter Kostya Tszyu has been, I will be doing a good job," said Hatton, who now holds an unblemished 39-0 record.

Holder of the lightly-regarded WBU belt, Hatton adopted his usual attacking approach from the opening bell in front of a raucous home town crowd at Manchester's M.E.N Arena, unsettling Tszyu with some positive if undisciplined punches.

The Briton took the first two rounds but his frenetic work began to backfire and the 35-year-old Tszyu threw the more quality punches, including some good left hooks, in the next few rounds.

Both fighters felt the canvas in the middle rounds but only after illegal low blows and Hatton found some renewed vigour in the closing stages to stun Tszyu, trapping him on the ropes with a series of punches in round 10 as he ruthlessly took charge.

Tszyu only made the weight limit at the second time of asking ahead of the fight and he looked exhausted in what was the final round as Hatton's youthful power outshone his experience.

The Australian left the door open for retirement from the ring and was gracious about only his second defeat in 32 bouts.

"I am a proud man and I am not saying it is the end of my career, maybe, maybe not," he said. "Today I lost to the better fighter and it is no shame for me to say that. Ricky was better than me in everything."

Reuters - 05/06/2005