PDA

View Full Version : Mayweather vs. Gatti (spoiler)

Makijs
26-06-2005, 14:39
Mayweather tortures Gatti!
By Matt Richardson and Ryan Mickendrow at ringside
Undefeated Floyd Mayweather seized the WBC super lightweight title by stopping Arturo "Thunder" Gatti at the end of round six after a dominating, virtuoso performance Saturday night at Boardwalk Hall in Atlantic City. Mayweather (34-0, 23 KOs) floored Gatti in round one while Gatti was distracted expecting referee Earl Morton to step in. Floyd's hand speed allowed him to pick apart Gatti at will with hard shots. Gatti's left eye was swelling badly by round three. Round four was completely one-sided as Gatti (38-7, 29 KOs) continued to absorb punishment. The beating continued in rounds five and six, after which Gatti's corner stopped the bout. After the fight, Gatti said he would likely return at 147.
Sunday, June 26 2005

http://www.fightnews.com/

Makijs
26-06-2005, 14:40
http://www.fightnews.com/floyd_punishes.jpg

Makijs
26-06-2005, 14:41
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/boxing/4123906.stm

Awesome Mayweather destroys Gatti

Mayweather remains unbeaten as a professional
http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/41234000/jpg/_41234067_mayweather203.jpg
Floyd Mayweather produced a virtuoso performance to capture Arturo Gatti's WBC light welterweight title in emphatic style in Atlantic City.
Gatti turned his back in round one when protesting to the referee and was forced to take a count after being hit.

The unbeaten Mayweather produced a series of dazzling combinations, an amazing percentage finding the target.

At the end of the sixth, Gatti's camp wisely ended the bout, their man left badly dazed by his stylish opponent.

Britain's IBF champion Ricky Hatton was watching at ringside and described Mayweather's display as "masterful."

Hatton confirmed that he is in discussions with American TV companies over a possible clash with Mayweather.

"I don't see there being a problem," he said.

Mayweather was also keen on the prospect of facing the powerful Mancunian.

"I'll leave it up to my promoters who I fight next, but if me and Ricky Hatton could get it on at Madison Square Garden, that's what I'd like to do," he said.

Mayweather admitted that his derogatory comments towards Gatti in the build-up to the fight were not genuine and been purely to sell tickets.

"I don't hate him at all, I love him," he said. "He's a true champion and he can come back.

Makijs
26-06-2005, 20:03
Mayweather stops Gatti in Six
Floyd’s blinding speed dominates

By Jake Donovan
FightBeat.com President

It was billed as “Thunder and Lightning�, but Floyd Mayweather Jr. was a one-man hurricane in Atlantic City.

The undefeated pound-for-pound phenom was near flawless in wresting the WBC Super Lightweight crown after six one-sided rounds. It was the third time in less than a month that a major alphabet title changed hands in the division. Mayweather saved the best for last.

The sold-out crowd at the Boardwalk Hall in Atlantic City turned out in hopes of a Thunder upset. Floyd would never allow that, in delivering perhaps the most complete performance of his career.

The first round was a battle-of-the-jabs through the first two minutes. Both fighters went to the body on occasion, but the jab was the weapon of choice, for the most part.

Action picked up toward the end of the round, and resulted in the first/lone knockdown of the evening. Referee Earl Morton warned both fighters to break, but Floyd kept punching as Morton’s instructions came from a distance. Gatti stared at Morton, waiting for the ref to intervene. He never did, and Mayweather reminded Gatti of an old boxing mantra: protect yourself at all times. Gatti didn’t, and got clipped by a lightning-flash left hook by Floyd. Gatti bounced back up, shoving Morton midway through his count. He survived the round, only to give Morton another earful.

The outburst was the only action Gatti provided in the evening.

Floyd’s blinding hand speed dominated the fight throughout, starting in the second round. Each round was a replay of the last for Gatti, who couldn’t land or block any punches. Floyd caught him from all angles.

The only knockdown of the fight was in the opening round, but Floyd’s best was the sixth. He landed seemingly every punch he threw. A defenseless Gatti could do nothing but absorb throughout. The beating was so bad that many in press row scored the round 10-8. Several times throughout the round, referee Earl Morton looked as if he wanted to stop the contest. Gatti punched back just enough to allow the fight to continue, though it only prolonged matters.

Gatti survived the round, but had the look of a defeated fighter in the long walk back to his corner. Floyd sat on his stool as he and his entire corner stared across the ring, awaiting the inevitable. McGirt signaled it seconds later, cutting short the examination by the ringside physician in stopping the contest.

As Gatti cried tears of sorrow in McGirt’s arms, Mayweather dropped to his knees in tears of joy in becoming a three-division world champion.

In the end, Mayweather decided to let bygones be bygones, insisting none of the pre-fight trash talk was personal.

“I don’t hate Arturo Gatti, in fact I love Arturo,� insisted Mayweather (34-0, 23KO). “He gave me a shot at his world title, and I thank him for that. I also thank the Atlantic City fans, who were wonderful during my stay here.�

Not as wonderful as Floyd’s virtuoso performance. In collecting a world title in his third weight class, Floyd stated a strong case for pound-for-pound supremacy. He has one fighter sold.

“Floyd is just amazing, he is such a good fighter,� Gatti told Dave Bontempo after the fight. “I thought I had what it takes to box with him. But, my hat goes off to him. He fought a great fight, and there was nothing I could do about it. He’s a great fighter and deserved to win the title.�

Nor could he do anything to convince McGirt to allow the fight to go on. Not that he necessarily wanted to.

“I’m a warrior, everyone knows that,� insists Gatti. “But Buddy made the right call, I can’t argue it. I never want to quit, but tonight I couldn’t question his call.�

Where the two go from here remains to be seen. Floyd hinted before the fight that a move to 147 was in his future. Afterward, he suggested he wants to stick around if the right fights could be made.

“Whatever Top Rank decides for me is cool,� said Floyd, even though this was his last fight with Top Rank under their current agreement. “Ricky Hatton came over here to check us out. I’d love to fight him in Madison Square Garden, and he said he wants to fight in the states. Let’s see what happens.�

Gatti will not stick around to see. He stayed true to his pre-fight promise of testing the waters at welterweight.

“One more shot at 147, and we’ll see what happens.�

Whatever happens from here on out, the boxing world has no choice but to look at Floyd from a different light. Love him or hate him, the man is a superstar

Gulo gulo
26-06-2005, 20:33
Wel lef, om een gewichtsklasse omhoog te gaan

CAPO58
27-06-2005, 02:20
Respect voor Mayweather..Hij kwam zelfverzekerd op en liet er geen gras over groeien. Hij overklasde Gatti gewoon. Mooi vechter om naartoe te kijken die Floyd.

m.g
27-06-2005, 02:22
Respect voor Mayweather..Hij kwam zelfverzekerd op en liet er geen gras over groeien. Hij overklasde Gatti gewoon. Mooi vechter om naartoe te kijken die Floyd.

Helemaal mee eens Maywheather is on a role...

Makijs
27-06-2005, 07:32
Hij staat in MMF; de klasse druipt van Mayweather af. Hij is echt ongelofelijk snel.

Makijs
27-06-2005, 10:17
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/boxing/4625435.stm

Hatton ponders Mayweather fight

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/41236000/jpg/_41236331_mayweather203gi.jpg
Mayweather outclassed the respected Gatti on Saturday night
Ricky Hatton says Floyd Mayweather is "pure class" but would have no qualms about fighting the new WBC champion.
Mayweather, who destroyed Arturo Gatti to win the WBC light welterweight crown on Saturday, has been tipped as a possible next opponent for Hatton.

Briton Hatton, the IBF champion, said: "You have to say that was absolutely masterful. Gatti's no mug, but that's how Mayweather made him look.

"I've said all along I'm scared of nobody and that's not changed."

The 26-year-old Mayweather - a previous world champion at super-featherweight and lightweight - stepped up to theheavier division in 2004.

A devastating performance has put him in with the chance of a shot against Hatton, and the fighter said he would be interested in facing the Briton. Hatton added: "Being a boxing fan, you have to say that he may do a lot of talking and a lot of bad-mouthing, but he's pure class and that's why he's one of the best pound-for-pound fighters in the world.

"He just seemed in a completely different league."

Hatton's trainer Billy Graham also said a meeting between two of the biggest names in boxing could be on the cards.

"We have talked about Floyd Mayweather for the last couple of years and nothing has changed," said Graham.

"Ricky Hatton isn't Arturo Gatti. I know what to do to beat Mayweather.

"Ricky has got the tools. He needs educated pressure. Mayweather has got wicked balance but Hatton has fantastic balance as well."

Marco
27-06-2005, 10:24
Mayweather is een topper, heel veel respect voor Gatti die man is keihard.

CAPO58
27-06-2005, 12:18
Dit kan heel leuk gaan worden..Ricky Hatton vs Floyd Mayweather.. :!:
Ik kijk er nu al naar uit..

Anonymous
27-06-2005, 15:23
Iemand heeft eens een keer een site geplaatst waar je deze wedstrijden kon bestellen (weliswaar op de band) Kan iemand mij voorzien van deze site AUB.. deze partij moet ik zien!!