PDA

View Full Version : Bernard Hopkins vs Jermain Taylor *spoiler*

CAPO58
17-07-2005, 16:47
Na 26 partijen onverslagen te zijn(o.a. gewonnen van Glen Johnson, Felix Trinidad en Oscar De La Hoya) en de undisputed kampioen te zijn van:
WBA Middleweight Title
WBC Middleweight Title
IBF Middleweight Title
WBO Middleweight Title,

heeft ''The Executioner'' Hopkins gister 2005-07-16 verloren tegen Jermain '' Bad Intensions'' Taylor op unanieme beslissing. Taylor heeft nou de titels van Hopkins in beslag genomen.

http://www.scandinavian-boxing-rankings.dk/international-records/pictures/jermain-taylor.jpg
Jermain Taylor..

CAPO58
17-07-2005, 16:51
Taylor wins split decision over Hopkins
Philadelphia Inquirer - July 17, 2005

Jermain Taylor became the world's only undisputed boxing champion last night, withstanding a remarkable late comeback by Bernard Hopkins to win a split decision over the longtime title holder at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas.

Two judges scored the fight, 115-113, for Taylor and one had it, 116-112, for Hopkins. A rematch is already in the works.

Taylor, now 24-0, came after Hopkins from Round 1 and showed superior speed and strength. He came after Hopkins (46-3-1) with the weapons Hopkins knew he had: a long left jab and an overhand right that began connecting early.

Taylor knocked Hopkins against the ropes with a right-left combination in Round 2 and had Hopkins defending himself against the ropes in ensuing rounds, and soon was jumoing in and out, flicking punches at twice the rate of Hopkins as Hopkins barely threw a punch.

By the third round, Hopkins was dancing a wide perimeter around Taylor, trying to get his range. He eventually did, and a head butt that sent blood dropping down Taylor's forehead slowed the challenger, but Hopkins' rush came too late.

"What I did was bait him in," Hopkins said. "I wanted to let him jump on me so I can counter him like I did. I buzzed him a couple times. I think from the sixth or sixth round on, I dominated the fight."

Thge judges thought he dominated only from the ninth round on.

"It felt great. I did a lot to win the fight in the early rounds," Taylor said. "I think I burned a little too much energy in the beginning and got tired. He never hurt me. He got some good shots in, but he never hurt me."

Said Taylor's promoter Lou DiBella, on his longstanding feud with Hopkins: "I feel like a chapter in my life is over. It's a great feeling of release."

CAPO58
17-07-2005, 16:55
Taylor ends Hopkins' reign!
By Mike Sloan and Trinidad Guzman at ringside - fightnews.com

July 17, 2005 - Jermain Taylor (24-0, 17 KOs) won a split decision over Bernard Hopkins (46-3-1, 32 KOs) to claim the undisputed middleweight title Saturday night at the MGM Grand Garden Arena. After a slow round one, Taylor connected with two hard rights in round two and continued to outwork Hopkins over rounds three and four. Taylor was cut on the hairline by an unintenional headbutt in round five, Hopkins' best round of the fight so far.

http://www.wbaonline.com/images/bernardlost.jpg
Bernard Hopkins (right) and Jermain Taylor (AP Photo/Chris Carlson)

The periods between exchanges between became longer and longer with Taylor attempting to initiate most action. Hopkins began opening things up in round nine, then hurt Taylor with a big right in round ten. Both Hopkins and Taylor connected with good shots in the eleventh, with a big edge for Hopkins. Taylor appeared to be tiring. Hopkins wobbled Taylor briefly in the twelfth. Hopkins' rally, however, came too late. Scores were 115-113, 115-113 Taylor, 116-112 Hopkins. There is a rematch clause in the contract so expect to see these two go at it again.

Ronald
17-07-2005, 20:46
Wel jammer dat het op punten beslist is, vooral omdat het een split decision is. Hopen dat de rematch op KO beslist wordt.

Dalgliesh
17-07-2005, 22:51
Hopkins is genaaid, denk ik.

CAPO58
18-07-2005, 00:20

Er komt sowieso nog een re-match als het goed, dan wordt alles veel duidelijker. Wie de middleweight champion is..

The Maniac
18-07-2005, 12:19

Hij is zeker niet genaaid Hopkins deed gewoon te weinig jermain zette hem goed tegen de touwen hopkins werd pas rond de 7 ronde echt wakker en begon toen goed te counteren wachten op de rechts directe en linker hoek en dan counteren met zijn eigen overhand right. Het kon net zo goed een split decision voor Hopkins zijn geweest of een draw maar moet gezegd worden dat Hopkins niet echt alles uit de kast haalde.
Hopkins op K.O in de rematch

Marco
19-07-2005, 14:22
jammer voor Hopkins, ik vond het een hele prestatie om 12 jr ongeslagen te blijven, ik zou nog graag een rematch tegen Roy Jones Jr zien maar of dat realistisch is...