PDA

View Full Version : Murilo BUSTA interview

The Maniac
17-09-2005, 20:35
Murilo Bustamante - Interview
By André Araújo - Team TATAME
Thursday, September 15, 2005

Brazilian Top Team leader Murilo Bustamante has some experience in Grand Prix styel of competition. After fighting three times at Martial Arts Reality Superfighting (MARS), in 1996 and replacing his teammate Ricardo Arona at Pride Middleweight GP 2003, Bustamante will be the team representative at PRIDE Bushido, which takes place on September 25, at Ariake Colosseum. His teammate Paulão Filho will do an alternate fight, but team has no representatives at the -73kg division. MaXfighting.com had a little chat with Bustamante and asked him about PRIDE, Bushido and Mauricio Shogun’s black belt:

You are going to Japan on September 17. How is your training so far?

It’s normal. I have been training hard and I am ready to fight two opponents in the same night. I am not thinking about doing a fast first match. The great thing would be winning those two fights. No matters how.

Can you talk a little bit about your opponents?

Masanori Suda is the SHOOTO World Champion and his tape must be in my VCR soon. However, I’ve watched many fights of Phil Baroni. I see he is a great boxer and he is also a good wrestler. His only weak point is on the ground, what is by the way my specialty. If we do fight, I will have this great resource against him.

Talking about PRIDE GP Middleweight, how did you see Ricardo Arona’s victory over Wanderlei? All people say they respected each other a lot...

Well, Ricardo was great. He fought well and was perfect. To be honest, they really did respect each other. Wanderlei did not fight as he uses to do because he knew if he did it, Arona would put him down. Arona was perfect and built a perfect strategy to win. However Wanderlei make it harder.

And the final against Shogun?

Watching by the TV, I think Arona was not the same fighter after suffering that takedown. So Shogun fixed an omoplata and I thought it was weird. It seems like Arona hit his head on the ground, but this is not an excuse. Those accidents happen during the fight. Mauricio Shogun star has shined and Arona didn’t have any luck.

Why didn’t you go to Rodrigo Minotauro’s house to watch Pride GP with BTT guys?

In fact I watched PRIDE at house because of my training. As soon pride was over, I turned off the TV and went to bad. When I am about to fight I always behavior myself that way. I am all focus to the competition.

Talking about Shogun... he was graduated black belt after the tournament. What did you think about it?

I guess he is a Nino (Schembri) student and if his teacher gave him the belt, the belt is given. Nino has such Jiu-Jitsu knowledge and he knows what he is doing. BJJ black belt does not only mean he is a good competitor. Jiu-Jitsu involves much more than that… I’ve seen lots of BJJ black belts that suck.

After PRIDE GP Middleweight, the score of BTT vs. Chute Boxe in Pride are 4x2 for Chute Boxe. This fact increases your will to fight Daniel Acácio?

No way! When I am on the ring I don’t think about score or rivalry. I am concerned about my physical shape and my training. In the ring my opponent is just a doll and no matter where he comes from.

After the loss for Arona, your responsibility to win increases? Does your team place pressure on you in any level?

The responsibility is the same as always. In fact my partners from BTT have been nothing but supportive. There is no such thing as pressure. They all help me a lot.

Why is there is no BTT representative at GP -73kg?

Honestly I don’t know. I got disappointed. I don’t understand how Junior Buscapé is not going to fight. For me he is one of the best fighters of the category. He is top 4. Maybe because Buscapé got defeated by Kawajiri... but I still cannot understand Japanese’s mind. Over the fight against (Luis) Azeredo, Chuteboxer was lucky and defeated Buscapé in a controversial fight. I think this decision was very unfair.