PDA

View Full Version : Danny Williams & Audley Harrison set to rumble

Makijs
16-10-2005, 21:26
Williams & Harrison set to rumble
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/boxing/4347568.stm
http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/40915000/jpg/_40915330_audley203.jpg
Harrison is undefeated as a professional
Former British heavyweight champion Danny Williams is set to fight former Olympic champion Audley Harrison, promoter Frank Warren has announced.
Details will be formalised at a news conference in London on Monday.

Williams, 33, beat Mike Tyson last year before losing a world-title clash against WBC king Vitali Klitschko. Harrison, also 33, won gold at Sydney 2000 and is undefeated in 19 pro fights but has been criticised for the quality of his opposition thus far. Williams' future in the sport looked in doubt after he pulled out of a match with current British champion Matt Skelton at late notice in July.

Skelton turned down a rescheduled fight with Williams in December and will now face Kevin McBride, who beat Tyson this year, instead.
Williams v Harrison would be the biggest domestic heavyweight match-up since Lennox Lewis beat Frank Bruno in Cardiff in 1993.

Ronald
16-10-2005, 21:59
2 Mensen die Tyson verslagen hebben dit jaar... dat blijft vreemd klinken :? .

Maupie
16-10-2005, 23:18
interesting :)

Halfshot
16-10-2005, 23:57

Eigenlijk niet.
Boksen zit te wachten op weer een topper.
En nu word elke derby opgehyped.

Bij gebrek aan beter.

Marco
17-10-2005, 11:22
deze 2 zijn niet echt toppers maar beetje hypen dat gevecht kan geen kwaad.

honingdas
17-10-2005, 11:31

Eigenlijk niet.
Boksen zit te wachten op weer een topper.
En nu word elke derby opgehyped.

Bij gebrek aan beter.

mee eens!

Anonymous
17-10-2005, 12:10
hoe goed is die harrisson eigenlijk? ik heb alleen zijn partij tegen hersisia gezien. toen zag hij er niet slecht uit. ik hoor best slechte dingen over hem.

Makijs
17-10-2005, 15:33
hoe goed is die harrisson eigenlijk? ik heb alleen zijn partij tegen hersisia gezien. toen zag hij er niet slecht uit. ik hoor best slechte dingen over hem.
Hij heeft veel talent, misschien wel meer dan de huidige top 10 heavyweights. Maar zijn management is wel heel terughoudend en heeft tot nu toe gekozen voor relatief gemakkelijke tegenstanders (met alle respect voor Hersisia natuurlijk. tenminste, dat is het verwijt dat hij krijgt. Bovendien bokst hij gezien zijn leeftijd wel erg weinig.
Hopelijk is dit een stap in de goede richting.

Anonymous
17-10-2005, 15:35
Matt Skelton.. had hij ook niet een K-1 avontuurtje een aantal jaren terug?

sportfan
17-10-2005, 15:37
Hij heeft veel talent, misschien wel meer dan de huidige top 10 heavyweights. Maar zijn management is wel heel terughoudend en heeft tot nu toe gekozen voor relatief gemakkelijke tegenstanders (met alle respect voor Hersisia natuurlijk. tenminste, dat is het verwijt dat hij krijgt. Bovendien bokst hij gezien zijn leeftijd wel erg weinig.
Hopelijk is dit een stap in de goede richting.

Audley Harrisson doet zijn eigen management dat verklaart misschien e.e.a..

Makijs
17-10-2005, 18:23
Williams & Harrison confirm fight
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/boxing/4347568.stm
http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/40917000/jpg/_40917424_williams203.jpg
Williams is keen to get back in the ring after losing to Klitschko

Former British heavyweight champion Danny Williams will fight former Olympic champion Audley Harrison in London on Saturday, 10 December.
It will be the biggest all-British heavyweight fight since Lennox Lewis beat Frank Bruno in Cardiff in 1993.

Williams beat Mike Tyson last year before losing a world-title clash against Vitali Klitschko while Harrison won Olympic gold at the 2000 Olympics.
Harrison said: "If I can't beat Danny then I'm not where I'm supposed to be." Williams, 33, said: "After the Vitali Klitschko fight people think I am damaged goods. That's why Audley Harrison took the fight, but I will be ready."

Harrison, also 33, is undefeated in 19 pro fights but often against mediocre opponents. He added: "I can measure myself against Danny Williams." The fight will be joint top of the bill at the ExCel Arena with British champion Matt Skelton's WBU fight against Irish-born Kevin McBride.

McBride followed up Williams' success over Tyson by ending the former world champion's career when he stopped him in six rounds in Washington in June.
Amir Khan will also compete on the bill against an as yet unnamed opponent.

The Williams v Harrison bout is the icing on the cake for the anniversary promotion of Frank Warren, 25 years to the day since he was granted a promoter's licence by the British Boxing Board of Control.

Williams' future in the sport looked in doubt after he pulled out of a match with Skelton at late notice in July.

Skelton turned down a rescheduled fight with Williams in December and will now face McBride instead.

Makijs
22-10-2005, 16:53
Audley's back
By Alex Trickett at St James Hotel, London
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/boxing/4350782.stm
http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/40918000/jpg/_40918880_harrison2032.jpg

The self-styled "prodigal son" is back and, boy, does he want to tell the world about it. Clad in Las Vegas sunglasses and an attention-grabbing Union Jack hat, US-based British heavyweight Audley Harrison was in London to announce a 10 December tussle with Brixton-based compatriot Danny Williams.

Never short of a word, Harrison dominated the press conference with the arrogant charisma that has rubbed uneasily with headline writers in the past, barely allowing the modest Williams a say. We have heard much of Harrison's patter before. But the fighter who says he was forced out of the domestic boxing picture by "politics" was clear that his return was for the British public. "I'm the prodigal son. I'm giving something back," said the 33-year-old, Olympic champion at the Sydney Games of 2000.
"It's not like I'm getting everything I want from this deal and my US advisors didn't want me to do this. It's a risk, but I've always wanted to bring the UK fans on board. I need to get the British public behind me and go to win a world title."

Harrison, who has had his disagreements with fight promoter Frank Warren, confirmed that the Williams bout was a one-off arrangement. And he said a deal was already in the making for a massive US fight next year. But he agreed that Williams - who toppled Mike Tyson in 2004 - would be his toughest challenge to date. "I need to get the British public behind me and go to win a world title. I'm looking for a name and Danny fits the criteria - he has challenged for a world title," he said. "I'm taking the L-plates off and I'm ready."

On paper, Harrison v Williams carries no significant belts - although the Commonwealth body may yet sanction it - and very little global weight. Critics will dub it "Has Been" Williams v "Never Will Be" Harrison. But it is actually an intriguing match-up - one that may deliver fireworks on Warren's 25th anniversary in the promotion game.

Harrison, for all his bravado, has a lot to lose by taking the contest.
Defeat to Williams, who was mauled by the division's number one Vitali Klitschko would severely damage his fragile reputation and - although Harrison denies it - would presumably jeopardise his "big plans" for 2006.

Williams, meanwhile, is propped up at the bar of the "Last Chance Saloon". Since his defeat of a flagging Tyson, the Klitschko massacre and his late no-show for a fight with Matt Skelton, have called into question his ability and appetite for the sport. Williams knows this and can be believed when he calmly states that he needs this chance to prove himself again.
Paying reference to the Ramadan fast - which the 33-year-old is strictly observing as a Muslim - he said: "My mind is on when I can have my next meal and I'm hungry mate." Ramadan will be over at the beginning of November giving Williams plenty of time to train without disruption. And, on his game, he can be relied upon for bravery, big punches and ring savvy.

Harrison is absolutely confident that he will win. The showman has vowed to Warren, who he says refers to him as "Ordinary Harrison", that he will be "Extra-ordinary" on 10 December. But Williams is a man with wounded pride. The fight could just turn out to be an unlikely British classic.

Makijs
11-11-2005, 16:41
Williams expects Harrison to quit
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/boxing/4428318.stm
http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/41008000/jpg/_41008414_williams203.jpg

Danny Williams has called Audley Harrison a quitter ahead of their showdown in London on 10 December.
Williams claims Harrison attempted to bail out when the heavyweight rivals sparred five years ago and expects him to do the same next month.
"The Audley I see now is no different to the one I sparred with years ago," said the 32-year-old. "I can see the old Audley having flashbacks from our session and wanting to quit when the pressure is on."

Harrison, 34, was still an amateur when he last met Williams in a ring and has since won Olympic gold as well as his first 19 professional fights. But former British and Commonwealth champion Williams is convinced Harrison still has the mental scars.

Audley hasn't fought anyone as dangerous as me and it's taken him five years to come back and finally face me Danny Williams

"He will claim he was an amateur back then and that it was five years ago but in his head he remembers what he went through," added Williams. "In the meantime he has disrespected me by saying that he could win the British title in five fights after he won the gold medal whilst I was still the champion, and by calling me a cockroach. Audley might look the part at the moment with his unbeaten record but he hasn't fought anyone as dangerous as me in his career and it's taken him five years and 19 fights to come back and finally face me. He reckons I'm damaged goods because of my fight against Vitali Klitschko but he couldn't be more wrong and I will prove it on the night."

Makijs
11-11-2005, 16:42
Moet een knalpartij worden: er is in ieder geval genoeg 'bad blood'.

mossad
11-11-2005, 17:01
De kin van Harrison is nog een vraagteken. Iedere keer tot nog toe als een vechter druk zette op Harrison dan zag hij er niet geweldig uit. Hij houdt niet van klappen incasseren en Williams gaat er wel een paar uitdelen. Interessante match-up. Als Harrison wint moet hij maar eens tegen een top tien bokser aantreden. Hij kan voor een lange vechter trouwens ook goed van korte afstand vechten met o.a. een goede opstoot.

Makijs
11-11-2005, 17:06
Als hij wint, moet hij snel op hoger niveau gaan vechten. Zonder Vitali Klitschko blijven er niet veel bijzondere zwaargewichten over.

Makijs
15-11-2005, 15:04
Harrison calls Williams a failure
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/boxing/4438714.stm
http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/40915000/jpg/_40915330_audley203.jpg
Williams calls Harrison a quitter
Audley Harrison says Danny Williams is a failure and has vowed to finish his career when they meet at London's ExCel Centre on 10 December.
Last week, Williams predicted Harrison would quit in the biggest domestic heavyweight match-up since Lennox Lewis fought Frank Bruno in 1993.

Harrison said: "I have never quit, so Danny is in for a rude awakening. Danny's an underachiever. Whenever the time has come for him to step up and show what he's got he has failed." Williams claims Harrison attempted to bail out when they sparred five years ago, when Harrison was an amateur and before he won Olympic gold in Sydney in 2000.

Danny's memory might be jarred from the beating he took from [Vitali] Klitschko last December
Audley Harrison

In reply, Harrison has taunted Williams for pulling out of a fight with current British champion Matt Skelton in July. "I hope he does not pull his notorious Matt Skelton disappearing act - quitting before he even got to the ring that night," said Harrison, who is unbeaten in 19 professional fights. "Danny Williams can reflect all he wants on the past, although his memory might be jarred from the beating he took from [Vitali] Klitschko last December. I refuse to lose to a club fighter such as Danny Williams because that's all he is. After my beating Danny, you really should consider hanging up your gloves."

The Maniac
15-11-2005, 15:20
Danny Williams heeft geen kans tegen Audley wordt een KO overwinning voor A-Force

Remco
15-11-2005, 15:33
Ik begrijp nooit waarom iedereen Audley alsmaar omlaaghaalt. Je tegenstanders is één, maar iedereen kan toch zien dat het een hele gevaarlijke vechter is? Loeisterk, boomlang en snel. Williams wint!

Makijs
18-11-2005, 12:12
Audley Harrison vs Danny Williams: This May Be Interesting
By Jim Amato (November 17, 2005)
http://www.doghouseboxing.com/Harrison/Amato111705.htm
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.doghouseboxing.com/Media/DannyWilliams04_BIG_MrWill.jpg
It is hard enough to get excited about today's heavyweight division. With that in mind it seems almost unimaginable to get stirred by a match between two British battlers. Hey guess what ? There is a match coming up on December 10th in London for British bragging rights that may also have a bearing on the overall heavyweight picture.

Undefeated Audley Harrison takes on "Tyson Tamer" Danny Williams. Although the yet to be tested Harrison has had only nineteen fights to thirty seven for Williams, at 33 he is older then the 32 year old Williams.

Danny is the more proven commodity having been in with Mike Tyson and Vitali Klitschko. Nevertheless he is considered somewhat erratic. Williams will come in with a 33-4 record. He has 28 knockouts and he himself has been halted on three occasions. He is a big, strong fellow who packs a wallop. In the past his condition and his chin have been questioned.

Harrison is the current darling of the British boxing fans. He is expected to pick up where Lennox Lewis left off. He has an abundance of talent but at age 33 it is time to make a move. A win over Williams will be a definite boost to his career. It could open the door to some major bouts in the States or even against some decent European competition. A loss to Williams could just expose him as an over rated prospect.

Williams has had his day in the sun but a win over Harrison could keep him in the mix.

We are not talking world beaters here but within the big picture of a very drab heavyweight landscape, this bout has some merit.

Makijs
04-12-2005, 22:28
Williams launches Harrison attack
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/boxing/4496826.stm
http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/41086000/jpg/_41086968_willo203.jpg
Danny Williams has launched a scathing attack on Audley Harrison ahead of their all-British heavyweight clash at London's ExCel Centre on Saturday. "Audley Harrison is technically very good but doesn't have much heart and is a celebrity boxer," Williams said. "Once I put the pressure on he will start to wilt," he told BBC Sport.
Williams, who claimed that Harrison "punches like a little girl" added: "I want this fight more and that's going to be the major factor."Harrison's attitude outside the ring was also questioned by Williams who said: "He's more interested in the after-show parties, the money and getting his name in the newspapers, he doesn't want to put in the work."

The 33-year-old Williams has been putting in some impressive training work in preparation for the eagerly-awaited contest. His methods have included pushing his family in a car down derelict roads, which, as he explains, has its problems: "Everyone thinks I'm trying to jump start it," he said. "But it is great, it works the lungs and every part of the body."

Former heavyweight champion Lennox Lewis believes Harrison, also 33 and undefeated in 19 professional fights, will prove too strong for Williams. "It's going to be a great fight, both have a lot of heart," said Lewis, who beat Frank Bruno in an all-British heavyweight clash in 1993. "Danny throws punches from all angles but I think Audley's size may be too much for him," he told BBC Sport. "In my view Audley has more strength and more talent."

Lewis rejected theories that Harrison has taken the wrong route to the top following his Olympic success in Sydney over five years ago. "He's doing it right, he needs to stay in shape, improve that jab and improve those skills."

Williams dismissed suggestions from Lewis that he struggles with taller fighters, notably Vitali Klitschko, who beat him in eight rounds in December 2004. "I had problems with Klitschko but that's because he's a world class fighter and he hits hard. Audley Harrison hits like a little girl and I can take his punches, get inside and let my shots through."

Lewis revealed that he receives an average of one offer a month to make a return to the ring, but he is unlikely to be persuaded.
"I've accomplished my goals and it's time for the younger guys to try to accomplish what I have for the last 17 years," he said. "I don't want to be 45, training and worrying about injuries. There are new stars on the horizon and Audley is one of them."

Makijs
04-12-2005, 22:38
Interview Danny Williams
http://news.bbc.co.uk/media/avdb/sport_web/audio/9012da68002d380/nb/09012da68002d575_16x9_nb.asx

Interview Lennox Lewis
http://news.bbc.co.uk/media/avdb/sport_web/audio/9012da68002d380/nb/09012da68002d574_16x9_nb.asx

Makijs
06-12-2005, 12:33
WILLIAMS - AUDLEY IS NOT A REAL FIGHTER
Monday 5th December 2005
http://www.skysports.com/skysports/article/0,,12-1205092,00.html
http://static.sky.com/images/pictures/1359124.jpg

Danny Williams has questioned Audley Harrison's commitment to boxing ahead of their all-British heavyweight clash at London's Excel Arena on December 10. Williams believes Harrison is 'just a celebrity boxer' and predicted he will send him into early retirement with a knockout win. Harrison won the super-heavyweight gold medal at the 2000 Olympic Games in Sydney and is unbeaten in 19 professional contests.

But Williams, who has beaten Mike Tyson and fought for a world title against Vitali Klitschko, warned his opponent that he is taking a huge step up in class. "He's just a celebrity boxer, not a real fighter,� said Williams. "He talks so much. Fighters like Naseem Hamed talk and they deliver but he doesn't deliver. That's why I want to beat him up. When Audley gets knocked out I think it will be hard for him. Once his bubble has been burst it will be the end.�

Meanwhile, Williams' trainer Jim McDonnell has contacted the British Boxing Board of Control (BBBC) about his concerns over Harrison's holding tactics. McDonnell is hoping the BBBC will ensure referee Ian John-Lewis takes a firm stance to avoid the fight degenerating into a wrestling match.

"Audley obviously knows his own limitations because in one round, when you time it on the stopwatch, he can hold for 40 seconds - 15 seconds here, 10 seconds there,� said McDonnell. "I've been watching Audley a lot over the last few weeks - and that's not the most exciting thing you can do - and I can't believe how much holding he does. It has to be impressed on the referee by the Board that Harrison will half wrestle and half box. He's been allowed to do that and get away with it in the past and, if it happens again, that will ruin the fight."

Makijs
06-12-2005, 20:40
Harrison has warning for Williams
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/boxing/4504490.stm

Audley Harrison says he will use his "full arsenal" to beat Danny Williams and land the Commonwealth heavyweight title in London on Saturday.

Williams' trainer Jim McDonnell asked boxing officials on Tuesday to make sure fight referee Ian John-Lewis stops Harrison from grabbing and holding.

"I'm clean, but I'll incorporate all my talents and my full arsenal on Saturday night," said Harrison. "If that means tying him up, whatever he brings, I've got an answer for it."

The Sydney 2000 Olympic gold medallist, who is training at the renowned Repton Amateur Boxing Club in the east end of London, has a 19-fight unbeaten record. However, critics have accused the Briton of fighting sub-standard opponents. Despite that, the 34-year-old believes he is two steps from a shot at a heavyweight world title, if he overcomes Williams.

"Basically, I'm two fights away. I was hoping to fight Jameel McCline, until he lost and became Jameel Decline, to get into the top 10 and I need a fight like that and possibly one more," added Harrison. "Then, the next stage of negotiations is to start to get one of the champions in the ring. Everything is in place and we have the contacts to talk to the broadcasters these things depend on."

Meanwhile, Williams believes his opponent will have to wait a little longer to have a chance at landing a world belt. "Audley's never been hit like I'm going to hit him," said Williams, who beat former world champion Mike Tyson in July 2004. "He talks so much. Fighters like Naseem Hamed talk and they deliver but he doesn't deliver. That's why I want to beat him up."