PDA

View Full Version : Baroni-Leben at UFC 56: Close but no cigar

m.g
21-10-2005, 16:11
http://www.insidefighting.com/images/ROUNDS/Baroni_leben.jpg

Fans rarely get to take a peak at what goes on behind the scenes when Zuffa puts together fight cards.

UFC Matchmaker Joe Silva works feverishly to put together interesting, crowd-pleasing matchups, while also making sure to get guys under multi-fight deals the prerequisite number of fights in the allotted time - not always an easy balancing act. Of course, Zuffa President Dana White adds his influence to the card by adding matchups that he deems interesting or exciting for the fans.

During that process, Silva and White propose an untold number of tremendous matchups. Some of the proposed bouts get signed. Others fall apart for whatever reason – money squabbles, injuries, training issues, management rejecting an opponent, etc.

One such proposed fight for UFC 56 that fell apart less than 48 hours ago was Phil Baroni versus Chris Leben, according to the "New York Bad Ass."

"A fight with Leben was in the works for UFC 56. No contracts were signed, but the fight was in the works," Baroni told InsideFighting. "I notified Pride, and they were waiting to hear from Dana White to finalize things. Before that could happen, Leben turned down the fight because he need more time to train, which is completely understandable because it was less than five weeks until fight time."

Chris Leben was unavailable on Wednesday night to comment on the subject, but other sources close to the negotiation also confirmed that Zuffa was considering the fight before the Team Quest standout reportedly declined due to the short notice – again, a very understandable reason.

Baroni, on the other hand, sees things a bit differently.

"I definitely wasn’t in top shape, either," Baroni admitted. “I had to drop about 40 pounds after taking a couple of weeks off (after his last fight) and then going to Holland for a week and doing what people do in Holland. But I’ll take any fight. I’ll fight anybody, anytime, and in any organization or country. If that means I’ve got to become a road warrior and fight all over the world, that’s what I’ll do."

De rest staat hier (http://www.insidefighting.com/betweenRoundsDisp.aspx?uid=2398).

m.g
21-10-2005, 16:12
Denk dat dit een beetje teveel hooi op de vork van Leben is.

Jochem
21-10-2005, 16:22
stand up oorlog. denk dat Leben een kans heeft, maar indd wel meer als 5 weken training nodig

Jay Hoov
21-10-2005, 16:27

x2

HUNTER
21-10-2005, 16:30
and doing what people do in Holland

hahahahahaha Phil = cool :mrgreen:

yas
21-10-2005, 16:39

:P

Wheelie
21-10-2005, 16:48
I feel sorry for Leben

MZN
21-10-2005, 16:51

wat? veel boerenkool met worst eten?

Nee serieus, krijg je geen gezeik met de NSAC als je doet wat mensen in Nederland doen?

ICON
21-10-2005, 16:55

wat? veel boerenkool met worst eten?

Nee serieus, krijg je geen gezeik met de NSAC als je doet wat mensen in Nederland doen?

wat werken, naar school feesten in t weekend? ik heb geen idee waarom hij daarmee problemen zou krijgen.. :roll:

Chico
21-10-2005, 17:46
vind het echt cool dat er zoveel respect is voor nederland bij buitenlandse vechters :mrgreen:

Anonymous
21-10-2005, 22:34
hij zag er bij de weging inderdaad zaarder uit dan 85....

Anonymous
21-10-2005, 23:42
leben TOOLED baroni op de grond.. leben wint

ashi76
23-10-2005, 11:22

2x...