PDA

View Full Version : UPDATE 24-11 seminar DeLaRiva: Brazil's Best Kept Secret!!!

yas
28-10-2005, 12:51
Seminar BJJ and Grappling on 26 & 27th of November
Price: 1 day: 25 euro and 2 days: 40 euro
Where, Saturday:Fitnesscentrum MARCHA, Bijlmerdreef 1315 in Amsterdam zuidoost (020 - 6992127, www.marcha-fitness.nl) 2 minutes from metrostation Ganzenhoef.

Time, Saturday: 14.00 - 18.00 (!!) hour

Location Sunday

Cadu Jiu Jitsu - Utrecht
Goeree 6
3524 ZZ Utrecht (Lunetten)

time: 12.00 - 16.00 hour!!!

(where we train @ wednesday with cadu)

IN ANY CASE, the legend will come!!!

Ricardo De La Riva: Brazil's Best Kept Secret
The first and only man in history who ever defeat THREE Gracie ’s (including Royce, Royler, and Rolker) in a single tournament

http://img485.imageshack.us/img485/2420/delabonsai0gx.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Name: Ricardo De La Riva
Height: 5'8 (1.75m)
Weight: 148lbs. (67kg)
DOB: 01/28/65

http://img466.imageshack.us/img466/8215/dela39om.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Interview
Source: This is an interview done by Alan W. Stockman on 02/26/02
When did you start training jiu jitsu?
January 1980.
So you have been training for 22 years?
Yes.
Who did you begin training with?
With Carlson Gracie and Marcos Vinicius who (Marcos) currently has a school in Canada. I trained with both Carlson and Marcos all the way until I received my black belt and am still affiliated with Carlson Gracie today.
During this time you also taught at Carlson's school didn't you?
Yes, I began teaching kids classes for him when I was a blue belt and then began assisting with adult classes once I received my purple. After I received my black belt I continued teaching in Carlson's school for four years then I opened up my own school in Copacabana and have taught there since.
When did you receive your black belt?
I imagine in this time that you have got to train with a lot of great fighters?
A lot yes.
Who are some of the guys that you have taught?
There were a lot... Murilo Bustamante, although I was a higher belt than him, we trained a lot together. Wallid (Ismail), I taught a lot of classes to Wallid since at that time I was a brown belt and he was a blue belt. I gave Ricardo Liborio his purple belt and and trained a lot with him also, and many, many others from Carlson's.
Who are some of the notable fighters either sport or NHB that you have promoted to black belt?
Again a lot of guys, Rodrigo "Minotauro" Nogueira, Rogerio "Minotouro" Nogueira, Marcello C. Monteiro, Marcelo Grosso, Moacir "Boca" Omena to name a few...
Do any of these guys come back to train with you or prepare for special events once they begin doing their own thing?All of them do whenever they can. Of course they are all doing their own things now, but they still come back to train.
You have undoubtedly trained many champions, do you have any up and coming prospects you would like to tell us about?Over 200lbs Mauro Jorge Paulino
180-200lbs. Marcelo Grosso and Moacir "Boca" Omena
150-160lbs. Marcello C. Monteiro
under 145lbs Gil Sangro Justino.
Backing up, before you received you black belt did you compete much?
I competed in every competition possible.
And after you received your black belt?
As much as possible although I was a bit more selective.
What are some of your most memorable results?
Well back then we didn't have the Mundial or the Brasileiro, instead the biggest tournament was the Rio de Janeiro State Championships.
My first competition as a black belt was one of my most memorable. In this competition I won the absolute weight class, however, to do so I had to fight against Royce (Gracie), Rolker (Gracie), and Arthur Cardenard, who was considered one of the best students from the Gracie Academy. Now in this time I had never heard of a Gracie losing any competition as a black belt, at the lower belts I don't know, but never as a black belt. I went through and beat all of them and won my first competition as a black belt. The Gracie's were thought to be invincible at that time and that kind of took away from their mystique. I also won the trophy for most technical fighter that year and the next year. That was in 1986 and 1987.
After that Royler challenged me to a match. I accepted his challenge and beat him. He challenged me a second time after that and I beat him again. It wasn't until our third match that he won. However, I had already proven myself in jiu jitsu and continued to train and work hard in the sport.
When was the last time that you competed?
1999 in Tampa Florida. I took on a challenge match without the gi.
How did you do?
I won.
You have been around jiu jitsu for a long time and seen many of its changes. What are some of the differences you see between jiu jitsu of 10-15 years ago and today?
Jiu jitsu has evolved a lot in the last 15 years, some techniques have improved, but inside jiu jitsu itself, the positions are still the same. An armlock is still an armlock, it has just been more refined, an americano (key lock) is still the same position but it has just been made to work a little better in certain positions.
The part of the game that has improved the most is defending the guard or the open guard. Fifteen years ago guys didn't use the guard game like you see today, fights were more stand up and closed guard.
Is this when the "De La Riva" guard began?(laughs)Yes. When I started competing I wasn't very good at the stand up. I also had a problem with my joints which made my base somewhat vulnerable. So to compensate for this I began pulling guys right away to the ground and to my guard. From this I began then to develop some new techniques that were very effective for me. This is essentially where the open guard began and where the "De La Riva" guard comes from, where I like to put a hook in behind my opponents leg. This hook is especially easy for me since I have a very flexible foot.
So the open guard is the biggest change between then and now?
Yes, this is the biggest difference that I see between jiu jitsu of 15 years ago and of today. Fifteen years ago you would never see anyone pulling someone into their guard instead the fight was dependent on the fighters judo game to get to the ground, but today in most fights someone will pull their opponent to their guard. So it was after this that others too began working on the open guard and that the open guard began to be developed more effectively.
And the fighters, how do you view the champions then versus the champions of today?
Royler Gracie is a 4 time world champion. He was a champion 10 years ago and continues to be. Murilo Bustamante also was a champion many years ago. He won the Mundial a couple of years back and has recently been very successful in the UFC. Like I said before, the techniques are the same, they have just been refined to work a little better. These are just a couple of examples. I believe that many of the guys who were winning in the past could prepare themselves to fight now and again come out on top.
Who are some of your favorite fighters to watch today?
Sport jiu jitsu, I really like to watch Murilo (Bustamante), Royler (Gracie), and Ricardo Liborio. In NHB I like Rodrigo "Minotaruo" Nogueira. Actually I could include Minotauro with the gi also because he is a very good gi fighter, but he has been focusing on NHB and been very successful.
I have been told in the past that Ricardo De La Riva is one of Brazil's best kept secrets. Why are you so well known in Brazil and not so much here in the states?
I think this is because I am very shy and when people ask me questions I get almost embarrassed to speak the truth. A lot of people can't believe that I was actually the first to compete successfully against the Gracie's or that I have a position named after me. I don't see myself as all that though. I just see myself as a skinny guy with big ears and a big nose (laughs) and find it difficult to brag about myself.
Brazilian jiu jitsu and NHB really began to grow in the states not too long ago. This was after the majority of my success in Brazil. In Brazil I created my name not by any special marketing but by competing and proving myself here. To carry that over to the US I would have had to compete there or begin to market myself there. Since I don't much like to talk about myself in the spotlight and haven't been competing in any big events, my name hasn't had a means to really get around in the US.
You want to change that now though don't you?
Yes. I have been preparing for quite awhile now to return to competition. I plan to begin competing and am going to do whatever it takes. I have passed up chances to do interviews on the internet, on TV, with newspapers, but know that this is part of what I am going to have to do to get back on top and am willing to do it even though I don't always enjoy it.
http://img481.imageshack.us/img481/3373/rivagodedricardodela6yx.gif (http://imageshack.us)
I have heard that you are planning on returning to competition and would like to debut in NHB?
That is true. I don't plan just to start competing again with the gi but to debut in NHB and continue with my career as a fighter. I have already done many fights with and without the gi and see NHB as a natural step in my evolution as a fighter. I would also like to experience this type of fighting. If I like it, I will continue to fight at every chance I get. Many of the guys that I have helped train for NHB in the past always tell me that I should get in the ring, that with my technique and experience I could be very successful. Now I would like to go ahead and do that.
Any idea where you would like to begin fighting?
I really don't care. I have been looking at a possibility in Japan and also one in the US. I am not going to be picky though, I will fight in about any event.
So if someone called you to fight in June or July you would be ready to go?
Yes! I am 37 years old and time is going by fast (laughs). I don't have the time that say a 20 year old has in their career but I still have some good years of fighting left in me. Age is both physical and mental and I feel strong in both. I want to get out there and start fighting.
What have you been doing to prepare yourself for NHB?
I have been training a lot of boxing, a lot of workouts without the gi, and special training for NHB.
Thanks Ricardo.
Yes, thank you Alan.

Deuce
28-10-2005, 12:57
Lijkt me een prima leraar...maar ben beide dagen al bezig met wedstrijden dus helaas.

Anonymous
28-10-2005, 13:01
mooi stukje!!

ik weet wat ze met nhb bedoelen maar wat is precies de betekenis van de afkorting?

Anonymous
28-10-2005, 13:11
no holds barred

yas
28-10-2005, 13:12
2 Deuce: zeker een prima leraar en behalve dat heeft hij ook een geweldige persoonlijkheid! 5 weken lang heb ik in Rio bij De La Riva getraind: het was een fantastische ervaring!

Anonymous
28-10-2005, 13:20
lijkt me indd top, helaas heb ik zelfde als Deuce, wedstrijd dat weekend, en kijken hoe teamgenoten gaan pwnen in de ring.

Anonymous
28-10-2005, 13:38
Inderdaad leuk interview!

Maar het stamt dus uit 2002, is hij nou ooit nog de ring in gestapt???

yas
28-10-2005, 13:58
hij is wel eens de ring in gestapt, maar meer dan dat kan ik je ook niet vertellen.

de recentse vechter die hij nu groundskills traint is Alessio Sakara (vocht in UFC 55, maar partij werd gestopt: Ron Faircloth (25-10) vs Alessio Sakara (13-3-10 KOs) was declared no contest due to Faircloth throwing an accidental kick to Sakara’s groin http://www.alessiosakara.com

yas
02-11-2005, 11:19
Inschrijven doe je door een mail te sturen naar [email protected]

Anonymous
02-11-2005, 11:44
2 dagen lang 4 uur les

= 8 uur les van deze topper

mag je gewoon niet missen en zeker als het zo dichtbij en zo goedkoop is !

yas
14-11-2005, 09:38
precies guest, dat is idd de conclusie :D

er is optie in de gym voor een grotere zaal, bij genoeg animo wordt die zaal gebruikt en kunnen er dus meer mensen meedoen!!

er is een gi(pak) en een no gi gedeelte. ook zullen er rashguards van De La Riva te koop zijn!

yas
24-11-2005, 13:50
TTT

there can still people participate!!

check the new info for sunday!!!!!!!!!!!

yas
28-11-2005, 14:21
Dear Bjj'rs!

I would like to thank you for your participation @ De La Riva's Seminar! I also would like to thank Dela's great students and staff from France (www.sankuno.com)! Ricardo was very happy to be in Amsterdam and Utrecht to teach some of his crazy moves :D

Pictures asap :D

Tchau!
yasmin

Eyecatcher
29-11-2005, 18:06
OESH