PDA

View Full Version : Calzaghe vs. Lacy in 2006?!

Makijs
14-11-2005, 19:16
Calzaghe confirms Lacy showdown
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/boxing/4436546.stm
http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/41017000/jpg/_41017752_calzaghe_hand203.jpg

Joe Calzaghe will face Jeff Lacy in a super-middleweight unification fight in Cardiff early next year. Calzaghe, the WBO champion, was meant to face IBF rival Jeff Lacy on 5 November before the Welshman broke his hand while beating Evans Ashira. That led to a war of words between Calzaghe's promoter, Frank Warren, and his counterpart Gary Shaw. But the two have sorted out a new deal which should take place either on 4 February or a reserve date of 4 March.

The venue has yet to be confirmed but Calzaghe's camp are aiming to use the Millennium Stadium to host the "super-fight". The only stumbling block for that, which could see part of the 75,000 venue cordoned off for use, is Wales' first home game in the rugby union Six Nations Championship on 12 February.

It will be the biggest fight of the year in Britain Promoter Frank Warren

"This is the fight that I have been shouting out for over the last few years and I am delighted that Frank has secured it," Calzaghe said. "It has been my dream to unify titles since I won the WBO crown against Chris Eubank over eight years ago and this fight against Lacy is the one that will secure my legacy. I saw Lacy's last fight against Scott Pemberton and it was impressive, but against me he is going to be in the ring with the hardest hitting super-middleweight out there and he will know it."

Lacy defended his title in style last week with a second-round knock-out of compatriot Scott Pemberton. But with the American's other target, light heavyweight king Antonio Tarver, not interested in a match, Lacy has been forced back to the negotiating table with Calzaghe. Lacy is believed to have been guaranteed $500,000 if the fight is again cancelled, but Calzaghe should have recovered from his broken hand in time.

"This is the fight that Joe, the media and the fans wanted and I am absolutely delighted that following some hard work over the last few days the fight is on," Warren said. "It will be the biggest fight of the year in Britain and certainly one of the most highly anticipated fights on the world scene in recent years - and it will take place in the UK."

American Lacy had demanded that any rearranged fight should take place in the United States. But Calzaghe has stuck to his guns as the senior champion and the Newbridge-born boxer will now fight in front of his home crowd. "Joe is recognised as the best in the division that he has ruled for the last eight years, with a record 17 defences and seeing off six former world champions," Warren added. "Lacy has looked impressive to date and the media are describing him as the heir apparent. They are the top two in the division and in the prime of their careers and what's for sure is that there can only be one winner who can truly claim he is the best."

Makijs
14-11-2005, 19:16
Hopelijk gaat het nu eindelijk echt gebeuren.

Marco
15-11-2005, 12:24
wordt tijd dat er in die klasse een undisputed champ komt, genoeg goeie champs bij de div bonden.

The Maniac
15-11-2005, 15:18
hehe eindelijk heeft die calzaghe een beetje ballen gekregen tegen een goede kampioen uit te komen. Lacy by KO in the 8 round

Makijs
21-11-2005, 16:14
Calzaghe v Lacy gets spring date
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/boxing/4456860.stm
http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/41017000/jpg/_41017752_calzaghe_hand203.jpg

Joe Calzaghe's long-awaited super middleweight unification fight with Jeff Lacy will now go ahead in Manchester on 4 March.
Calzaghe, the WBO champion, was meant to face IBF rival Jeff Lacy on 5 November before the Welshman broke his hand while beating Evans Ashira. That led to a war of words between Calzaghe's promoter, Frank Warren, and his counterpart Gary Shaw. But the two boxers are now finally set to meet at the MEN Arena next spring. The bout will take place at 0200 GMT on Sunday morning to accommodate US television requirements.

"Joe has been a great champion, but my time has come. There is a new force in the division" IBF champion Jeff Lacy

"This is the one I have been waiting for, and I can't wait for February 4," said unbeaten 33-year-old Calzaghe, who will be making the 18th defence of his title. "My hand will be fine and I'm looking forward to becoming a two-belt world champion. I've always wanted to unify the belts, and now I've got a great chance to do so."

Lacy, 28, also boasts an unblemished record and had demanded that any rearranged fight should take place in the United States. But the American is now happy to give up home advantage and is confident of notching up his 22nd career victory. "I've wanted to fight Joe for a long time, and now I've finally got my chance to show everyone I'm the best super-middleweight in the world," he said. "Joe has been a great champion, but my time has come. There is a new force in the division."

Makijs
23-11-2005, 09:20
http://www.fightnews.com/lacy_calzaghe1.jpg
Joe Calzaghe and Jeff Lacy came face to face today at a press conference in London - and promised one of the great fights when they meet at the MEN Arena in Manchester, England on March 4.

Marco
23-11-2005, 10:04
Top ! Lacy heeft een k.o. in beide vuisten, wat slaat die man hard zeg.