PDA

View Full Version : Grand opening for new Ali centre

Makijs
21-11-2005, 07:24
Grand opening for new Ali centre
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/boxing/4455412.stm
http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/41039000/jpg/_41039980_ali203gi.jpg
"I believed in myself and I believe in the goodness of others "
Boxing legend Muhammad Ali has had a museum and cultural centre opened in his honour in Louisville, Kentucky.
Fans - including former US president Bill Clinton - from around the globe attended Sunday's opening ceremony. The Muhammad Ali Centre features souvenirs from his amazing career and an educational area aiming to promote personal growth and global peace.

"I wanted a place to inspire people to be the best they could be at whatever they choose," Ali said in a statement. "Fans wanted to build a museum to acknowledge my achievements. I wanted more than a building to house my memorabilia. Throughout my life, I have pushed beyond the boundaries of what is expected. I'm an ordinary man who worked hard to develop the talent I was given. I believed in myself and I believe in the goodness of others."

The two-and-a-half hour opening ceremony for the $75m (£44m) centre featured musical performances, puppetry and poetry readings. Flags from the 141 nations whose children have contributed to the centre were displayed and Mitchell Butler, an eight-year-old from New Zealand, hung a medal around Ali's neck. "It was cool," said Butler. He gave me a hug. It was nice but I was nervous."

"The world is a better place because of you," said Clinton, who was temporarily unaware of Ali putting two fingers in a V-shape behind his head as he spoke, before the crowd's laughter gave it away. "No-one was ever more beautiful or brash or bright or powerful or fast in the ring. It was breathtaking. You thrilled us as a fighter and you inspired us even more as a force for peace and reconciliation, understanding and respect. "As your body slowed down, your heart speeded up."

Other stars to attend the opening included actors Brad Pitt, Angelina Jolie, Jim Carrey and Chris Tucker, broadcaster Sir David Frost, singers Hootie & The Blowfish, Kris Kristofferson and James Taylor and boxers Evander Holyfield and Lennox Lewis. The 63-year-old Ali, who now suffers with Parkinson's Syndrome, is arguably the most well-known sportsman in the world. His lightning reflexes and enormous power marked him out as a one-off in the heavyweight division, while his famous eloquence and wit kept the whole sporting world transfixed during his heyday.

Ali won the world heavyweight title three times - the only boxer to have done so - and his legendary fights with the likes of Sonny Liston, Joe Frazier and George Foreman have gone down in history. But the fighter's fame transcended sport and his refusal to be enlisted into the US Army during the Vietnam War, a decision that cost him his title, made him a hero to millions around the globe.

"The centre is the culmination of a long dream for Muhammad," said Ali's wife, Lonnie. "We feel a circle in our lives has been completed. He saw great things for the centre under Muhammad's direction - we hope this centre becomes that beacon for the world. This was not created as a museum but as a living, breathing centre to share his ideals, to teach and inspire. Muhammad simply inspires people. It's a gift he cherishes."

The centre opens to the public on Monday.

Ronald
21-11-2005, 11:12
Toch kijk ik liever een goeie Ali-docu dan dat ik zijn museum bezoek :wink: .

Joris
21-11-2005, 11:25
ik waarschijnlijk ook