PDA

View Full Version : Valuev vs Ruiz

Makijs
16-12-2005, 09:07
Valuev out to make boxing history
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/boxing/4533130.stm
http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/41126000/jpg/_41126778_valuevap203.jpg
Little and large: Ruiz (6ft 2in) is dwarfed by Valuev

Nikolay Valuev will become the tallest and heaviest champion in boxing history if he beats WBA heavyweight holder John Ruiz in Berlin on Saturday. The Russian, dubbed the "Beast from the East" for his 7ft and 330lb frame, is unbeaten in 43 professional contests. "I use my height - I see no reason it should be different," said Valuev, 32.

But Ruiz, who plans to use his opponent's size against him, said: "He's got a head the size of a Volkswagen - I can't miss hitting him." The American lost on points to James Toney on 30 March, but got a reprieve when Toney was banned for steroid use. "This is an important fight for me, because after this guy it's going to be a unification fight - and I'm the best guy to win unification," said Ruiz.
"They'll be talking about me a lot more if I beat this guy. No doubt this will be a hard fight, but I've overcome situations like this before."

Makijs
16-12-2005, 09:08
http://www.sport.ard.de/sp/boxen/news200512/14/img/valuev_ard_400.jpg

Interview met Valuev:
http://www.sport.ard.de/sp/komponente/mediabox/index.jhtml;jsessionid=VRQ1E0GPRVQMYCQKYXFETIQ?mka t=1&mid=6582

Makijs
16-12-2005, 09:31
Is the giant Valuev for real?
http://www.secondsout.com/World/news.cfm?ccs=225&cs=18169
http://www.secondsout.com/AcuCustom/Sitename/Icon/Item/Valuev_Nico_profile_freebe2.jpg

By Ant Evans: Like the mighty 'Almasty' (a relative of a yeti) who, legend has it, used to devour travellers who ventured into the snowscapes of eastern Europe, the enormous Russian born heavyweight Nicolay Valuev, all 7feet and 25-stone (330lbs) of him, is almost a figure of myth. One respected American writer joked recently that he wouldn't "even believe this guy exists" unless he sees him in the flesh. "Video tape evidence won't cut it," said the writer. "That bigfoot footage from the 1960s was fake, wasn't it?"

But Valuev, 42-0 (31), is real and he's got the WBA No.1 contender ranking to prove it. At the risk of overusing the metaphor, there have been 'sightings' of the 'Beast from the East' all over the world, in as far flung places as Parramatta in Australia, Tokyo in Japan, Donetsk in Ukraine, and even Battersea in London. But the boxing fraternity has refused to 'believe' the Beast was 'real' because for the first decade of a pro career that began in October 1993 (with a second round KO of experienced loser John Morton in Berlin) he feasted, like Almasty, only on the weak and hapless.

German based promotional powerhouse Wilfried Sauerland said: "I began promoting Nicolay in the summer of 2003 and when I met him I told him: 'I think you can become a true contender, perhaps world champion'. He had been (though) many promoters and managers but most of them marketed him as a side-show act. But I wanted to promote a heavyweight I saw potential in. I told him I would immediately pay for the top sparring partners, top training if he would promise to train hard.

"Valuev happily accepted and immediately there was huge improvement. People regarded 'Nico' as a joke because of his size and record (which was, at least at the time, comprised almost entirely of stiffs) but I tell you his opponents did not. I manage 10 other heavyweights But I have to pay the same opponent three times what I would pay them for fighting any of the others if I ask the opponent to fight Nico."

The fighter himself wrote (Valuev speaks about as much English as I do Russia, so we communicated via email and translation software, adding to the mystery that is the Beast from the East): "What I like in Wilfried Sauerland is that he doesn't treat me as circus side show, but seriously, as a real boxer. I do not want to disappoint him after what he has done for me. I did improve rapidly after joining him. Not only because of the (more professional approach to training) but also because I knew for the first time where my career is going. I knew big things were now in my future so I trained harder and harder."

And without declaring this the Age of the Giant, Valuev's efforts reaped some decent results. Over the last two years the Beast has beaten current European Champion Paolo Vidoz (TKO 9), Gerald Nobles (w DQ 4), Attila Levin (w KO 4), Clifford Etienne (w TKO 3).

The 32-year-old goliath said: "I am very glad I have won such a massive fight against Vidoz. That proves that I am better than the European Champion. It was the biggest fight of my career at that point (October 2004) and that showed in the fight. I felt sorry about the Nobles fight (who was mortified at the weigh-in and did everything to get out of the ring as quickly as possible) because he was hitting me low, diving on the floor, and I knew just one or two more rounds and I would have got a satisfactory win.

"The win over Levin was perhaps the best fight of my life and Etienne was a real tank but the size difference (some 116lbs) made the fight easy." Those wins - and Sauerland political muscle with the WBA - helped set up a final eliminator with the deathly dull but Rubik cube tricky Larry Donald on October 1 of this year in Oldenburg, Germany. After 12 uninspiring rounds impartial ringsiders were divided but the Russian took a majority decision.

"We didn't want Donald," Sauerland admitted. "I would never have mentioned his name as an opponent but it was for the WBA No.1 ranking so we could not chose. I think Nico won the fight, yes, but it was not a great fight to watch." Now Sauerland, arguably the biggest promoter in Europe, hopes to bring WBA title-holder John Ruiz to Berlin on December 17.

The fight may not happen on that date, though. Ruiz is considering litigation in an effort to leave promoter Don King (like anyone else could make a two-time world champion out of this lamentable spoiler). However, the Europeans are not only confident the fight will happen, but that Ruiz will be knocked out. Valuev wrote: "Ruiz holds, I know, but I can stop him doing this. It will be very difficult for him to wrestle me ." Sauerland added: "Ruiz will be knocked out in eight rounds. He cannot use that style against Nico and be successful. I was just talking to (WBC super-middle champ) Markus Beyer and we agree that there is no-one in the division who can beat Nico if he continues to improve. Of course, afterwards we would love to match Nicolay against Vitali Klitschko. That would be a huge fight in Germany."

In more way that one: should that bout with the near 6ft 8inch Vitali ever happen there could be as much as 590lbs of heavyweight in the ring. "It was be very interested for me," Valuev admitted. "Fighting someone who is also very big and powerful, I would very much like that." First, though, the Ruiz fight has to be secured, much less won. But both fighter and promoter can be pleased with the job they've done to get this far. It is all a long way from the modest upbringing Valuev has when he was born in the then USSR in August of 1973.

He describes his parents as 'Soviet Workers' and I inferred from that he meant they had it tough. However, the giant added: "Growing up was magnificent. I was happy. But I never dreamed as a boy of becoming perhaps rich and having the chance to travel all over the world. I did not think this could ever happen to me because of boxing." Neither of the future heavyweights parents were large themselves; his father is barely 5ft 5inches tall and his mother an inch shorter than that. However their only son was 6ft 7inches before his seventeenth birthday.

"I have always been bigger, even from when I was an infant," Valuev said. "I always knew that I was going to be very large when I became a man. The question was how large. I now have son, with is two and a half years, and while it is too early to be sure of his (eventual size) he is a well grown boy already." Boxing had always been popular in the USSR and that didn't change after the communist block fell. Hoping to make use of his size, power and relative athleticism for such a huge man, Valuev began experimenting with the sweet science in 1992.

"I was 20 and I wanted to do something active," he said. "I had maybe 11 amateur fights. Not many. But because of my size and strength I was able to become the Russian national championship silver medallist in 1993. I also stupid and got a Masters I decided to turn professional quickly, though. At first boxing was a hobby but I was told it could be my profession." However, because of his unique physique, Valuev was always going to be added to cards as a 'special attraction'. As late as 2002, nearly a decade after his debut, the goliath was knocking over the most obscure of opponents. Interestingly he believes he is up against echoes of the past. "Because of Primo Carnera, people believed I was the same and was not an (genuine fighter or athlete). In fact, some people still think like this."

Historians still argue of the merits of Carnera, who held the World Heavyweight Title in 1933, but it is historical fact that the kind-hearted but uncomplicated thinking giant was a figure of much fun.
"People laugh at those who are different," Sauerland said. "And they laugh because of fear." It is interesting to recall that some boxing officials at the time tried to get a "super-dreadnaught" division created especially to prevent Carnera from enjoyed such dizzying advantages in height and poundage. Although Carnera still holds the record (albeit now jointly) for the being the heaviest world title contestant ever at 270lbs, he stood 6ft 5inches which wouldn't be that remarkable for a boxing writer these days.

But 7ft and 333lbs is the new 6ft 5inch, 270lbs and Valuev is fully aware of his natural advantages. He said: "Of course, I am very strong but I have also never been knocked down, my chin is solid, I have improving boxing (skills) and also some fans have told me they are surprised that I can go 12 rounds. But I have done 12 rounds three times and I prepare for 12 rounds like every fighter has to in his career. "But I am of a different size and consequently, there is a certain type of trainings I must do devoted to enlarging my powers of endurance and so not to get tired. I train about 5 hours a day, and much more than that as I get closer to a fight."

I asked if he did much roadwork, theorising that with his size the boxer's usual and Valuev confirmed that running was hard on his huge joints. "The longest distance in my life has been 34 km that is why other distances, smaller in length are not a difficult task for me. Long distances influence on the knee joints, but this matter is sport's cost. I am prepared for more costs to win the world title. I will beat Ruiz for the title."

Even in this most diabolical ages of heavies, that would have seem a ridiculous proposition just 18 months ago. It seems we were myth-taken.

Makijs
16-12-2005, 12:13
Op de Undercard:
Ali-Sandell
By Daniel Hiller
http://www.fightnews.com/laila_asa.jpg
On Saturday Laila Ali and Asa Sandell step into the ring, but Ali has already won the verbal battle. At the final press conference in Berlin, Ali said, "I am the best in the world. Regardless of whether my title is on the line or not, I must win. Asa will definitely be knocked out. In the ring or at night in a dark backyard, she has no chance against me." On fight night, Laila's famous father Muhammad Ali will be the first athlete to receive the United Nations' Otto Hahn Peace Medal. Laila stated, "It is very nice that he is in Berlin and will sit at ringside, but that does not have any effect on my performance. I have already boxed in China alone." Sandell stated "I am in Germany in order to win. My trainer Lennox Blackmore has me perfectly focused. Laila has never gone so many rounds with an opponent of my caliber." Ali -Sandell will take place directly before the world heavyweight title battle between John Ruiz and Nicolay Valuev.

Makijs
16-12-2005, 12:14
Papa komt kijken:
http://www.fightnews.com/ali_berlin.jpg
It was a big moment for all Berliners today when boxing legend Muhammad Ali arrived at Berlin-Tegel Airport. Ali was very good mood and despite the rain, he patiently posed for photographers. He was accompanied by his wife Lonnie Ali.

Makijs
16-12-2005, 21:21
RUIZ: IT'S DIFFICULT TO MISS VALUEV
Friday 16th December 2005
http://static.sky.com/images/pictures/1293705.jpg
John Ruiz insists he will be heading home from Germany with the WBA belt still in his possession after his fight with Nikolay Valuev this weekend.
The American heavyweight puts his title on the line for the first time since he was restored as champion after James Toney tested positive for steroids.

Valuev is no easy task for the 33-year-old as he is yet to suffer defeat in his 42-fight professional career. The fighter - known as 'The Beast From The East' - is challenging for the world title for the first time and will have plenty of support inside the Max Schmeling Halle in Berlin. However, Ruiz is confident he can overcome the Russian and return back to America as a champion.

"There is no doubt that this will be a difficult fight but I am going to leave Germany having kept my title," he said. "After this win, people will talk more about me."

Despite Valuev's size advantage, Ruiz feels he has the boxing skills to overcome the Russian and was quick to taunt his opponent at a pre-fight press conference.

"He has a head as big as a Volkswagen, it's difficult to miss the target," he said.

Anonymous
17-12-2005, 10:13
tanx makijs!! 8-)

Makijs
17-12-2005, 21:48
http://www.fightnews.com/valuev_quietman.jpg

Anonymous
18-12-2005, 18:28
bron:telegraaf.nl

Wereldtitel voor 'Beast from the East'

BERLIJN - Zijn bijnaam luidt 'Beast from the East'. 'Russische Reus' klinkt echter ook toepasselijk voor de 2.13 meter lange Nikolai Valuev. De 147 kilo zware bokser kroonde zich zaterdagnacht tot de eerste zwaargewicht wereldkampioen uit Rusland door de Amerikaan John Ruiz te ontronen.

Valuev zal met zijn imposante verschijning zelfs de meest ervaren bokser schrik aanjagen. Niet alleen zijn gestalte is indrukwekkend. Ook zijn blik ('moest dit pijn doen?') wanneer hij een dreun krijgt uitgedeeld, is angstaanjagend. Met de 32-jarige bokser uit Sint-Petersburg valt niet te spotten.

Van een linkse hoek of 'uppercut' raakt Valuev amper onder de indruk. Schelden komt veel harder aan bij de gigantische Rus. Voor de ontmoeting met Ruiz liet Valuev blijken dat hij niet gelukkig was met de opmerkingen van zijn opponent. De Amerikaan had verklaard dat de Rus op 'King Kong' leek en dat hij geen moeite zou hebben om hem hard te raken, aangezien Valuevs hoofd „zo groot als een Volkswagen� is.

De kolossale Rus liet daarom nog maar eens optekenen dat 't zijn belangrijkste doel is om te bewijzen dat hij „geen monster maar een sporter is�.

De ontmoeting in het Max-Schmeling-Halle was opwindend van begin tot einde. Sterker nog; zelfs nadat de laatste bel had geklonken, gingen beide kampen vrolijk verder met vechten. Het kamp van Ruiz kon de nederlaag op punten (twee arbiters wezen Valuev als winnaar, Ă©Ă©n beoordeelde de partij als onbeslist) niet verkroppen en zocht de confrontatie met de Russen.

In de daaropvolgende knokpartij maakte de coach van Ruiz, Norman Stone, zich volkomen belachelijk door de kampioensgordel te stelen en het kleinood boven zijn hoofd te houden, als ware hij zojuist wereldkampioen was geworden. Vijf leden van de beveiliging werkten Stone hardhandig tegen de grond, waarmee definitief een einde aan het gevecht kwam. „We zijn bestolen�, brieste de Amerikaanse trainer uren later, tijdens de persconferentie.

De wereldkampioen haalde slechtst zijn schouders op en stamelde dat zijn grootste droom is uitgekomen. Dat hij de eerste Russische zwaargewicht wereldkampioen is, interesseert Valuev niet: „Ik wil nog beter worden, daar denk ik vooral aan.�

Dat de reus een klein hartje heeft, liet hij blijken toen hem werd gevraagd naar zijn afkomst. Valuev vertelde dat hij momenteel in Sint-Petersburg woont, in een flatje van 50 vierkante meter. Met zijn verdiende geld wil de 'Beast from the East' naar een groter onderkomen verhuizen. „Maar ik hoop wel dat ik al mijn buren kan meenemen.�

Anonymous
19-12-2005, 00:18
Ruiz werd genaaid,hij heeft zeker 7 van de 12 ronden op ijn naam gebracht,als het niet meer is.
Maar Don King en Sauwerland hebben het lekker op een akkoordje gegooid,om misselijk van te worden!
Wel grappig dat het (thuis) publiek het er ook niet mee eens was en een massaal fluitconcert inzette waarna de trainer van Ruiz de championshipbelt afpakte en er zelfs nog om ging knokken met de trainer van Valuev!

Octavius
19-12-2005, 00:24
Altijd eerlijk publiek in Duitsland. Misschien moet Lennox uit retirement komen en die freak eens 'les' geven. Maar met Don King weet je maar nooit.

Trismegistos
19-12-2005, 10:03
Ok, ik beken dat ik pas vanaf ronde 7 heb gekeken, maar behalve ronde 11 Ruiz en ronde 12 onbeslist, had ik alle ronden voor de rus. Beetje raar vond ik het dat de duitse commentatoren de laatste ronde aan de rus gaven vanwege 1 harde treffer terwijl ruiz in het begin van die ronde 3 of vier keer duidelijk zichbaar raakt.
Was toch een matige partij, waarin je als objectief toeschouwer wel voor Ruiz moest zijn, damn wat een lengte verschil! Maar moet wel toevoegen dat de Rus met zijn aai jab die absoluut geen impact had toch wel veel scoorde.
Ben het wel met jullie eens dat Don King wel weer een duit in het zakje kan hebben gedaan, zelfs de duitse commentatoren zeiden dat de eerste ronden voor Ruiz waren. Tuurlijk leuk om straks een big bad gehypte Rus als KingKong naar America te verschepen en flinke ppv tarief wat op te schroeven. Hopelijk is management van Valuev zo verstandig om eerst nog wat mindere goden als uitdager te accepteren, want de rus is er duidelijk nog lang niet.

Anonymous
19-12-2005, 10:45
Zo vanaf ronde 7 kwam de rus wat bij ( 'die wende'noemde Klitschko het al in zijn commentaar) maar van de eerste 6 ronden waren er mininmaal 5 voor Ruiz en 1 hooguit onbeslist ( dat zei zelfs de Duitse commentator).
Maar als Ruiz er dan met de laatste ronde meegerekend 6 heeft gewonnen en er minimaal 1 ronde onbeslist was kan die rus hooguit 5 ronden hebben gewonnen,er is geen 8 tellen gevallen of zo dus is Ruiz als regerend kampioen degene die de titel zou moeten behalen.

Octavius
19-12-2005, 11:16
Valuev is de nieuwe Drago uit Rocky. Dus in de nieuwe Rocky film gaat hij wel KO.

Misschien in de K-1 wat mede freaks voor hem.

Ronald
19-12-2005, 11:27
De ontmoeting in het Max-Schmeling-Halle was opwindend van begin tot einde.
:shock: Misschien had ie er wat meer gedronken dan mij ofzo maar ik vond het niet zo bijster interessant wat er gebeurde. Ruiz viel wel aan maar kon niet zoveel uitrichten. De commentatoren omschreven zijn stijl ook mooi als "jab & grab". Valuev viel, vooral in het begin, veeeel te weinig aan en was niet effectief met counteren. Hij gaf bijvoorbeeld amper een opstoot terwijl Ruiz toch voortdurend met z'n hoofd naar beneden inkwam.
Ik had nou niet het gevoel dat ik naar de 2 sterkste boksers ter wereld zat te kijken. Dat zou toch wel moeten als die titel op het spel staat...

Anonymous
19-12-2005, 11:55
Correctie;als EEN titel op het spel staat!

Die rus wordt zwaar maar dan ook zwaar bevoordeeld,dat heb ik al een paar keer gezien.

Anonymous
19-12-2005, 12:08
Valuev is geen freak. Hij ziet er niet uit maar hij is wel degelijk een echte bokser en heeft ook een paar goede boksers verslagen. En bedenk daarbij dat hij geen amateur carriere heeft gehad en pas op zijn 20e begonnen is met boksen, dan vind ik het een aardige prestatie en onvergelijkbaar met freaks uit K-1.

Er schort wel veel aan zijn bokskwaliteiten, maar ik denk dat alleen de echte toppers die tekortkomingen bloot kunnen leggen.

Marco (scheids)
19-12-2005, 12:10
Ik heb Valuev een keer gezien in St. Petersburg als toeschouwer bij kooigevechten ..... hij is wel HUGE hoor ... en kan ook heel boos uit zn ogen kijken ....lol ...

Anonymous
19-12-2005, 12:23
Hij is een veel kundiger vechter dan Choi,Sapp en ga zo maar door...heeft een solide jab die hij zo nu en dan helaas vergeet op te volgen maar hij heeft ontegenzeglijk bokskwaliteiten,Ruiz echter was de betere maar er is blijkbaar van alles aan gelegen om hem te laten winnen..of hij zich daar populair mee maakt is de vraag want het Duitse publiek pikte het niet en een lang en striemend fluitconcert was zijn deel.

Emilio
19-12-2005, 12:30
In Duitsland zijn het altijd twijfelachtige jurybeslissingen he :S

Marco
20-12-2005, 14:40
en weer een schandaal erbij in het boksen.........het wordt tijd dat don king een kogel krijgt, kotsmisselijk wordt ik van die man.....
die valuev is een genetisch monster en die ruiz is een octopus met zijn jab en grab tacktiek........het zwaargewicht boksen is niks op het moment.....gelukkig is het in de ander gewichtsklasses wel top.