PDA

View Full Version : Hearns steps up comeback attempt

Makijs
05-02-2006, 10:37
Hearns steps up comeback attempt
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/boxing/4682478.stm
http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/41295000/jpg/_41295876_hearns203.jpg
"Hitman" Hearns is less powerful than in his youth

Thomas Hearns took another stuttering step in his quest to win an eighth world title with a 10th-round stoppage win over of Shannon Landberg.
The "Hitman", 47, landed more punches, but lacked the power that made him one of the 1980's most feared fighters.

Fighting at light heavyweight, Hearns was ahead on all three scorecards when referee Dale Grable stopped the bout.

Hearn's son Ronald scored a spectacular middleweight knock out of Kirk Douglas on the undercard to stay unbeaten.

Makijs
07-02-2006, 10:35
Hearns lacks punch in latest fight
http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060206/SPORTS18/602060310/1066

From one of their classic albums, heavy-metal icons AC-DC belted out "TNT" over the public address system. Rolling Stones guitarist Ronnie Wood danced and clapped to the thumping music at ringside.

Earlier, two fighters had been knocked out cold, much to the approval of the big crowd at the Palace on Saturday night. Wood, a boxing fan and friend of Muhammad Ali, was on his feet, as if he and Keith Richards were about to rip into "Street Fighting Man."
Boxing rocked again in the Detroit area, even if some of the action in the ring was questionable, including the Thomas Hearns-Shannon Landberg main event.

Hearns (61-5-1, 48 KOs), in the second fight of his latest comeback, scored a 10th-round TKO over Landberg of Indiana. Referee Dale Grable halted the bout when Landberg (58-11, 23 KOs), 40, was struggling to keep his feet at 1:35 of the round.
It could have been a case of "let the good times roll" for the sport, except that Hearns is 47 and fighting on borrowed time, while Landberg, a window cleaner when he isn't boxing, probably will retire after his next fight.

"You saw two old men wallowing around tonight," said Landberg in his dressing room later. "Don't get me wrong, Hearns is one of my favorite fighters ever. I didn't take a dive, and I took a lot of punishment." But Landberg wasn't rating his fight with Hearns anything special, either. "If Tommy wants to fight again, he better get in shape," said Landberg.

Hearns, a seven-time world champion, fought at 176, with Landberg a pound heavier. Hearns looked tentative early but started landing with his jab and right hand in the third round. A big right near the end of the fourth almost finished Landberg. In the fifth, Hearns danced and jabbed, the technique still there but the speed and accuracy diminished. Hearns survived a strong finish by Landberg in Round 7, and followed up with good combinations in the eighth, landing a couple of wicked left hooks.

Landberg, in his first fight in 2 1/2 years, staggered to his corner, eyes red and swollen. In the ninth round, Hearns continued to press, with Grable finally stopping the fight in the 10th round when Landberg was clearly exhausted. "Tommy was tired, too," said Landberg. "I caught him with some good shots."

Surrounded by family and friends in his dressing room, Hearns said he'd give himself a "seven or eight out of 10" for his performance.
"I can't be too high on myself," said Hearns. "I couldn't pull the trigger on my punches like I was supposed to."

Hearns said he plans to fight again in April, possibly in St. Louis, in search of another world title. His opponent may be John Long, whom he defeated at Cobo Arena last July. Before Saturday's fight, rocker Wood visited Hearns in his dressing room.
"I've met Ronnie before," said Hearns. "He came in the room and we had a chat. He wished me luck."

As Hearns took questions from reporters in his dressing room, Landberg entered and hugged the boxing legend. Perhaps the best thing to come out of Saturday's show aside from the energy created by Wood and an appearance by former heavyweight world champion Evander Holyfield was the performance of Ronald Hearns, 27, who fought just before his father.

Hearns (8-0, six KOs) scored a second-round TKO over Kirk (The Movie Star) Douglas (10-11, eight KOs), demonstrating the same power and punching ability of his dad almost 30 years ago. If the Hearns family is to win another world championship, it likely will be Ronald who does it.

Ronald
07-02-2006, 20:25
Jammer, ik kan er helaas geen filmpje van vinden. Ik ben benieuwd hoe hij er nu uitziet en bokst.

Emilio
07-02-2006, 23:31
wel cool, die gast had echt fucking lange benen :D

Marco
08-02-2006, 13:55
ben wel benieuwd naar zijn zoon, jammer dat the Hitman zelf nog steeds vecht, zo bijzonder is ie niet meer....en voor zijn gezondheid is het uiteraard ook niet echt bevorderlijk...