PDA

View Full Version : Titelgevecht voor Klitschko

Makijs
07-02-2006, 15:35
Titelgevecht voor Klitschko
http://www.telesport.nl/14000/Titelgevecht_voor_Klitschko.html

FRANKFURT - Zwaargewicht Vladimir Klitschko (29) bokst op 22 april om de IBF-titel in het zwaargewicht. De voormalige wereldkampioen uit Oekraïne staat op 22 april in Mannheim tegenover titelhouder Chris Byrd. Klitschko won in 2000 nog op punten van de Amerikaan, toen om de WBO-titel. Byrd is na zijn puntenzege vorig jaar tegen de Zuid-Afrikaan Samuel Peter de nummer een van IBF en WBO.

Makijs
07-02-2006, 15:38
Klitschko set for Byrd title bout
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/boxing/4689162.stm
http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/41303000/jpg/_41303420_vladimir.jpg
Klitschko battled to victory over Samuel Peter last September

Wladimir Klitschko and Chris Byrd will fight for the IBF heavyweight title in April, according to reports. The pair are reportedly set to meet in Mannheim, Germany, on 22 April. Ukraine's Klitschko beat Byrd of the USA for the WBO crown in 2000, but lost the title in a surprise defeat to South African Corrie Sanders in 2003.

Klitschko survived three knockdowns to beat Samuel Peter in the WBO/IBF title eliminator last September, and so became the number one contender. "To be able to box again for a world championship is a fantastic feeling," said Klitschko.

Makijs
07-02-2006, 15:41
IBF-WM im Schwergewicht im April in Mannheim
Klitschko trifft erneut auf Byrdhttp://sport.ard.de/sp/boxen/news200602/07/klitschko_wm-kampf_april.jhtml

Wladimir Klitschko greift wieder nach der WM-Krone. Der Ukrainer fordert am 22. April in Mannheim IBF-Champion Chris Byrd um den Titel im Schwergewicht. Nach monatelangen Verhandlungen ist der Kampf unter dem Motto "Alles oder Nichts" nun perfekt.

http://sport.ard.de/sp/boxen/news200602/07/img/07_klitschko-byrd_dpa_180.jpg
Trafen sich 2000 schon einmal: Klitschko (r.) und Byrd

"Es ist ein großartiges Gefühl, wieder um die Weltmeisterschaft boxen zu können", sagt der 29-Jährige. Für Klitschko ist es die dritte Chance auf einen WM-Gürtel. Am 14. Oktober 2000 hatte er gegen Byrd in Köln den WBO-Titel durch einen Punktsieg errungen. Am 10. April 2004 scheiterte er durch eine K.o.-Niederlage gegen Lamon Brewster bei dem Versuch, sich die WBO-Weltmeisterschaft zurückzuholen, die er im März 2003 durch die schwere K.o.-Niederlage gegen Corrie Sanders verloren hatte.

"Byrd ist heute mit Sicherheit stärker und erfahrener als bei unserem ersten Kampf", meinte Klitschko, "seine Siege gegen Topleute wie Evander Holyfield, Jameel McCline und David Tua sprechen für sich." Der 35 Jahre alte US-Amerikaner gewann den IBF-Titel im Dezember 2002 durch einen Punktsieg gegen Holyfield und verteidigte ihn seitdem viermal erfolgreich. Insgesamt gewann der Linkshänder 39 seiner 42 Profikämpfe.

Klarer Sieg für Klitschko im ersten Duell

Klitschko war in 48 Kämpfen 45 Mal erfolgreich. Er ist nach seinem Erfolg im vergangenen September über den hochgehandelten Samuel Peter offizieller Herausforderer und Ranglistenerster bei den Verbänden IBF und WBO. "Ich freue mich, dass dieses Duell in Deutschland stattfindet", sagte Klitschko: "Mit der Unterstützung meiner Fans will ich wieder Weltmeister werden."

Im ersten Fight gegen den Amerikaner mit Wohnsitz in Las Vegas hatte Klitschko eindeutig dominiert, konnte Byrd aber nicht vorzeitig besiegen. Byrd machte anschließend seltsame Verschwörungstheorien für seine Niederlage verantwortlich. Unter anderem behauptete er, dass Klitschko eine Substanz auf den Handschuhen hatte, die seine Augen angegriffen hätte.

Er wollte deswegen eigentlich nie wieder in Deutschland boxen. Mit seinem ausweichenden Kampfstil gilt Byrd allerdings in den USA als langweilig und nur schlecht zu vermarkten. Der Kampf wird live in der ARD übertragen.

Virby
07-02-2006, 15:58
hmmm...byrd heeft vorig jaar maar 1 keer gevochten. Byrd is echt een puntenbokser, ik hoop dat dat genoeg is als het in Duitsland wordt uitgevochten.

Makijs
07-02-2006, 16:15
Precies Virby, Byrd heeft geen KO punch in huis. Een overwinning voor Byrd (zeker in Duitsland) lijkt mij bijna onmogelijk.

Marco
08-02-2006, 13:56
helaas ben ik het met bovenstaande heren eens.....

The Maniac
08-02-2006, 14:04
Ik weet echt niet wat met Wlad geebeurt is de afgelopen jaren lijkt wel of hij na de ronde 5e a 6e altijd een beetje droelig en dronken rondloopt en met zo'n vage blik in zijn ogen. Dat Byrd geen KO punch heeft dat weten we wat we ook weten is dat Wlad een niet een van de beste chin heeft ik zal niet verbaasd zijn als Byrd een punch land waarbij Wlad gaat wankelen. Het is wel zo dat Byrd al jaren niemand KO heeft geslagen. En vooral niet in een titelmatch.

Ben benieuwd mijn pick wordt Wlad op punten.

Gulo gulo
08-02-2006, 22:44
my guess, Wlad op KO

ICON
08-02-2006, 22:50
ik denk rickson op armbar

Makijs
10-02-2006, 14:54
http://www.fightnews.com/j-gon41.htm
Byrd-Klitschko NYC presser!

http://www.fightnews.com/1photos/klitschko_byrd1.jpg
http://www.fightnews.com/1photos/klitschko_byrd2.jpg
http://www.fightnews.com/1photos/klitschko_byrd3.jpg
http://www.fightnews.com/1photos/klitschko_byrd4.jpg
http://www.fightnews.com/1photos/klitschko_byrd5.jpg

The dry spell that has plagued the heavyweight division (since Lennox Lewis left) can potentially end in '06. James Toney and Hasim Rahman will be leading off in March and just recently announced IBF champion Chris Byrd (39-2-1, 20 KO's) and former WBO heavyweight champion Wladimir Klitschko (45-3, 40 KO's) are scheduled to follow exactly one month later. Byrd and Klitschko have history together. The last time these two were in the ring together, approximately six years ago, Wladimir put on a boxing clinic. Klitschko dropped Byrd in the ninth and in the eleventh round, in route to a total blowout on the scorecards (120-106, 119-107, 118-108).

So as two of the premiere and classiest heavyweights prepare to collide on the 22nd of April in Mannheim, Germany, one would have to seriously question why Byrd would want to fight again in Germany considering he left with such a bad taste in his mouth the first time around. Byrd is coming off of an abysmal performance against longtime friend DaVarryl Williamson. On that chilly October night, Byrd and Williamson combined for a formula stronger than the most potent surgical anesthesia. Byrd won the 12 round paint drying festival via a unanimous decision. But as Byrd explains, the lead-up to the bout was anything but smooth.

As both fighters entertained questions from the media yesterday at Gallagher's Steakhouse in New York City both Byrd and Klitschko were able to vent a little bit. About the fight with Williamson, Byrd said the following, "I didn't want to fight," he admitted. "I'm at a point in my career where I want bigger fights. I always wanted to fight Vitali again before I fought Wladimir, but he retired. So knowing that I shouldn't have been fighting DaVarryl was one reason, two, the purse. I'm going in there and fighting a dangerous guy that can punch and if I lose, I'm out of this whole equation and I'm only making 400-something thousand when I know I should be making two and a half million dollars a fight. And then King tries to get me stripped the morning of the fight and before that, he tried to cancel the fight. This is going on all through training, and I trained, but mentally, I wasn't there. I didn't want to fight. I kept looking back at my wife, and she screamed at me, 'Just win the round forget the crowd and get the fight over with.'"

So now as a promotional free agent Byrd can roam freely anywhere he wants. The first stop Mannheim, Germany. His mission: To show the whole world that what happened six years ago was a fluke. "I'm sure that Chris Byrd five years ago is not the same Chris Byrd today," said Klitschko. "I think he's got more experience from fighting guys like David Tua, Evander Holyfield, Andrew Golota, Jameel McCline. It's going to be a great fight with a lot of excitement because Chris Byrd has great motivation. He lost against me five years ago and my motivation is very big because of everything that happened in the past three years. I want to become a champion again and I want to defend my title for a long time. But first I have to win the fight and I'm going to win the fight as soon as I can. The more dominating, the less questions there will be about me after the fight."

The Ukraine-born Klitschko is a former world champion who has amassed a stellar ring record. Dr. Steelhammer has defeated Byrd, Jameel McCline, Ray Mercer, Monte Barrett, and most recently, highly regarded Samuel Peter. As of right now Klitschko is ranked number one by the IBF and the WBO, and is currently ranked third by the WBC and WBA. But after sweeping through such stiff competence with great ease, Klitschko ran into some heavy artillery that had him being swept off the canvas. Both Corrie Sanders and Lamon Brewster knocked him out. DaVarryl Williamson knocked him down and in his last fight, Samuel Peter dropped him three times. Although Klitschko clearly won the fight, there were many questions concerning the sturdiness of his chin. But from hearing Wladimir talk you would have never thought there were any problems going on. "I think it will be a great feeling when I become a champion again and I can feel it, but I can't touch it. I have to do a lot of work in the preparation, and I have to deliver a great performance in the ring because as you know, it's not so easy to fight against Chris Byrd. It's not so easy to look great."

Byrd who previously proclaimed that he would never travel again to Germany was asked why the sudden change of heart. Byrd responded by saying, "I'm five years wiser, he's just five years older. Since the last time we fought, he's been up and down, up and down – literally. My mindset the first time we fought was, 'I'm fighting this big guy.' I was more timid and trying to use more finesse. My whole thing now is 'I like fighting big guys.' It's like an addiction. I want to test his heart. I can take it. I'll put my hands up and we can just go to thumpin.' Now I want to fight in the trenches more than anything. But at the same time, I'm not going to be stupid and get hit with his shots, but I still want to fight in the trenches and make these guys fight me. I'm going to be in great shape, so over 12 rounds, how is he going to be in the championship rounds? If he's still in there swinging and throwing punches, more power to him because I know I'm going to still be throwing punches. But if you're holding on and trying to survive in the fight, you're a coward. These guys have huge advantages over me, weight-wise, height, reach, everything – and you're holding or running from me, an Olympic Silver Medallist as a middleweight? So all those people who say I can't punch think again. If I couldn't punch, you would come in and just run me over."

When asked if he was concerned about any wrong doings in regard to defending his title overseas, "I'm not worried about it," said Byrd of going to Germany for the title bout, "My faith in the Lord is strong, and if something's going to happen, it's going to happen. Going last time, Peter Kohl was the promoter, and there was some shady stuff going on. This time we tried to get everything right like we wanted. I don't care where it is, all the pressure's on him."

At Wednesday's press conference it was announced that the scheduled 12-round championship bout will be televised on HBO's World Championship Boxing. In an unusual but an intelligent move, the network will present the fight live (04/22/06) Saturday afternoon at 5 PM ET/2 PM PT. In addition, HBO will replay the fight again later that night at 10PM ET/PT. So with Rahman-Toney in March and Byrd-Klitschko in April, we're truly one step closer to having one universally recognized heavyweight champion. This is something that the fans have been longing for and this is something that boxing truly needs.