PDA

View Full Version : Stuk in de Daily Mail over de WCFC

Dennuz
20-03-2006, 15:16
Las dit net op sherdog, weer een typisch geval van journalistieke bullshit van iemand die er geen reet verstand van heeft.

http://img103.imageshack.us/img103/7295/327f11007rd.jpg

By Jane Fryer

"SNARLING, cursing and muttering obscenities, the gladiators strut into the arena. Barefoot and semi-naked beneath their ornate embroidered gowns, they wear neither boxing gloves nor body protection just the scars and bruises of earlier bouts and expressions cemented with hate.

As they enter the octagonal metal cage and the 7ft steel door slams and locks behind them, the 15,000 strong croud goes wild-cheering, yelling and baying for blood.
Meanwhile, girls in bikinis dance to thumping music, fireworks explode above, and to mark the start of a fight, a deafening claxon sounds. Within just 15 minutes, one of them may be dead or maimed - and the other could be very rich indeed.
Fists, elbows, knees, feet and fear are the weapons. As the croud roars and jeers, the combatants kick, punch, knee, beat, crush, wrestle and strangle each other.
They are bound by just four basic rules - no biting, no head butting, no eye-gouging and no jabs to the genitals. Every other form of violence is encouraged.
Many fighters follow another, unwritten rule: no timidity.
Just another day in ancient Rome's Colosseum? A clip from Gladiator or Mad Max?
No, this is the gory, blood-splattering scene that will unfold this evening at the World Cage Fighting Championship (WCFC) in a giant sports arena in Manchester before a delighted audience, including celebrities such as footballers Rio Ferdinand and Wes Brown and pop-singer Kym Marsh.
And the man responsible for policing the bouts and protecting against fatalities? Who else but the former world heavyweight boxing champion Mike Tyson, who in 1996 famously bit a chunk from opponent Evander Holyfield’s ear and in 1992 was jailed for three years for rape.
Speaking of his appointment as official referee, 39-year-old Tyson – who retired from boxing after being defeated by Irish club fighter Kevin McBride last June – says he believes this event will be a huge hit with the British audience.
‘When I go to the UK, the people are extremely aggressive – more so than Americans. I would think [the British public] will take to this with open arms,’ he says.
‘Unlike boxing, where you’re protected by the gloves, this is basically bone on bon, so there’s probably going to be some blood, some broken bones. Its not for the weak to watch.’
No wonder that this ‘sport’ has been dubbed the human equivalent of cock-fighing.
So what on earth is it that could lure audiences willing to pay up to £375 for the best seats (within blood and sweat-splattering range of the fighters)?
And what kind of person volunteers to enter a cage where they will take part in a form of combat so bestial and so degrading that when previous contests were released on DVD they were accompanied by boasts of ‘teeth knocked out, sprays of blood, bouncing skulls, dislocated arms and broken jaws’?

UNSURPRISINGLY, cage fighting has attracted some rather unsavoury characters, not least Lee ‘Lightning’ Murray, 28 – Britain’s No.1 middleweight – who police yesterday named as the suspected man in charge of the ‘logistics and planning’ of last month’s £53million Securitas heist.
In America, the sport has been deemed so barbaric it has been banned in most states. Here in Britain too, medical experts have urged the Government to intervene. The British Medical Association has long warned of injury or death and called for the ‘highly dangerous’ sport to be made illegal.
A spokesman says: ‘Fighters face a serious risk of severe brain damage if they take part in close combat events of this kind. All such events should be banned.’
But supporters claim the sport has a better safety record that than boxing (‘Boxing can give you brain damage, this is more superficial – cut eyes, broken nose, ripped tendons,’ says fight promoter Chris Bacon).
Try telling that to the family of Douglas Dedge, a 31-year-old American father-of-five who died from severe brain injuries after taking part in a fight in Kiev in 1998.
He was floored by Yevhen Zolotaryov in front of 4,000 screaming spectators who screamed ‘Kill the Yankee’ and ‘Finish Him! Finish Him!’ as Zolotaryov repeatedly punched him as he lay semi-conscious on the floor.
In Britain, however, the sport remains legal, subject to a licence being granted for each event. Which is how, tonight, Manchester will be hosting the first international cage fighting tournament of this scale in Europe.

AN INTERNATIONAL line-up including Holland’s Alistair ‘Demolition Man’ Overeem will do battle alongside Britain’s Terry ‘Hit Em’ Etim, Carl ‘the murderer’ Morgan and James ‘the Colossus’ Thompson, for the £100,000 prize to be the last man standing.
As Chris Bacon, 36, a former cage fighter himself, puts it: ‘This is full-on, exciting and raw – anything goes. It’s the nearest thing to a real fight you can get. People are tired of going to see a boxing match that only lasts half a minute with two guys slugging each other with gloves. Why watch them punch, when you can watch them punch, knee, kick and wrestle each other into submission?’
Throughout the contest, combatants wear only thin fingerless gloves and shorts.
A match consists of three five-minute rounds and the winner is decided by knock-out, judges decision or submission – signalled by a fighter tapping on the floor – although, says Bacon: ‘Some of them have such big egos their legs would be breaking before they tapped out.’
Kicking off tonight’s fight will be Terry Etim, 20, who has been working towards this event for four years. In his regular life, Terry is a softly-spoken Liverpudlian builder. But tonight he will take part in a bout against Manchester’s Ozzy Haluk, 29. Etim is tall (6ft 1in), slight (just 11stone), shy and terribly polite. He is devoted to his family and his girlfriend Jodie.
Dressed neatly in a fleece, pressed jeans and spotless white tennis shoes, he looks more like a skinny computer geek than a currently undefeated cage fighter, or as he prefers to call it, Mixed Martial Arts.
‘Outside the cage, I’m not aggressive at all,’ he concedes, sheepishly. ‘But when the door slams and the crown roars, it’s as if a switch goes in my head. I’m a different person – until the horn sounds again and, hopefully, I’ve won.’ He insists it is not the brutal blood-letting it appears to be. ‘It’s more than just two people kicking the s*** out of each other. I don’t see it as a fight, I see it as a sport. Everyone is doing it of their own free will. We enjoy it. Cage fighting is about becoming the ultimate athlete. You can get injuries in every sort of sport and this is no different. So far, touch wood, I’ve never been injured.’
Among his fellow combatants tonight will be Paul ‘British Bulldog’ Cahoon, 29, from Liverpool – a 10-year veteran who has fought and taught cage fighting in Japan, Holland, Russia and America. He is Etim’s opposite – short, squat nearly 15 stone and very chatty.
‘Cage fighting is the most exciting thing you could imagine,’ he enthuses, wincing from the pain of a knee injury – the legacy of an over zealous training session.
‘It’s hard to explain what goes through your mind when you step into the cage. Its fear, instinct, adrenaline and excitement, but most of all nerves – you don’t know if the other guy is going to knee you, kick you, hurl you to the ground or smash you in the head. It’s amazing, it makes you feel so alive.’
‘When I first saw it on TV I thought it was sickening. I wondered how they could show it? But then I watched it again and again and I got used to the level of violence and started to understand it was a sport with rules, albeit not many.’
‘It’s much safer here than it is in Japan,’ chips in Chris Bacon, blowing his badly broken nose.
‘In Japan, if your opponent is on the ground you can stomp on their head and kick them in the face. We’ve cut that out because we want to minimise serious injuries, but you can still punch, elbow, slap, knee-poke to the head, armlock, strangle, leglock and crush – and we always have paramedics, doctors and plastic surgeons on hand.’
The mood of extreme violence is not confined to those inside the cage. Such is the atmosphere among the audience for the fights that skirmishes often break out between overwrought spectators.
In 2000, two men were stabbed at a match in Simi Valley, California. And last August, a cage fight night in Bristol was abandoned after members of the audience started throwing punches.
According to Carl Merritt, a retired fighter who wrote a book on the subject entitled Inside The Cage, the crowd is whipped up into a mob frenzy by the spectacle infront of them.
‘People get a kick out of the violence,’ He says. ‘I suppose it was just like the Gladiators in Rome – people get off on that sort of thing, get a thrill.’
Perhaps surprisingly, the crowd is made up of well-to-do professionals who find somewhat of a primitive thrill in watching what amounts to legalised street-fighting.

HOLLYWOOD blockbusters such as Guy Ritchie’s Snatch, which featured bare-knuckle boxing, and Fight Club, both starring Brad Pitt, have helped boost its popularity in America, VIP tickets can cost thousands of dollars, with George Clooney, Paris Hilton and Cindy Crawford all big fans.
Sport and exercise psychologist Dr Barry Cripps says the sport appeals to man’s most brutal instincts. ‘The sight of blood psyches the audience up,’ he says. ‘In short its blood lust – a primitive and destructive response dating back to the gladiatorial entertainment developed by the Romans. Which should be a warning in itself.
‘The Roman empire fell in part because it concentrated on this narcissistic form of entertainment. If cage fighting is allowed to expand as predicted, it could have very dangerous consequences.
‘It is paradoxical that we have campaigned against cockfighting, badger baiting and fox hunting and yet appear to openly encourage its human equivalent. It might not go as far as death, but its not very far removed.’
Paul Cahoon and Terry Etim are too busy focusing on the fight ahead to question the ethics or the dangers of the ‘sport’ in which they take part. Indeed it becomes clear that the thought of death inside the 24ft by 7ft cage has never crossed their minds. Etim is much to busy pumping his muscles with 50 press-ups and smearing his torso with sweat for the photo shoot.
Cahoon prefers to talk tactics: ‘Some people like to treat it like a game of chess, but I just like to knock them out.’
Right now the two combatants care more about meeting their mutual here Tyson, who arrived in Manchester on Thursday. Tyson has long been a fan of the sport: ‘We love cage fighting in the States and cant get enough of it,’ he said.
‘Even if they do have a death, you have got to understand we are grown men and no one has a gun to our head telling us to do this.
‘This was the first form of fighting, even before boxing. It went from the Greeks to the Romans and the Romans took it to another perspective.’
Sid Gore, president of the World Cage Fighting Championships, couldn’t agree more.
‘This is the gladiatorial way, the way fighting should be. Back to the old days of Caesar and his mob. It’s a wonderful thing to watch – in its own way its artistic.
Aesthetic merit, however does not hold much interest for 17-stone, one eyed cage fighting veteran Barrington Patterson. Describing the mentality that made him one of the sport’s champions, he said: ‘I want to destroy whoever gets in that cage with me. I’m going to rip his head off. He’s dared to stand up against me and I’m going to annihilate him.’

http://www.sherdog.net/forums/showthread.php?t=353040

HUNTER
20-03-2006, 15:27
de titel en de lengte van het stuk nodigen nou niet echt uit om het eens helemaal door te gaan lezen :?

Halfshot
20-03-2006, 15:32
Ik ben ook al op de helft gestopt.
Maar dat vooral temaken met wat van onzin er geschreven werd

ICON
20-03-2006, 15:41
kut snol

Jochem
20-03-2006, 16:37
als ik het nog nooit gezien had, zou ik na dit artikel ZEKER gaan kijken.

Mike
20-03-2006, 16:43
wat een onzin lult die bitch

ze zou dr huiswerk eerst moeten doen, ze maakt zichzelf belachelijk zo.

@JochemBranderhorst

LOL ik zou ook meteen gaan kijken

TheSkindo
20-03-2006, 18:23
F@ckin' onzin....om een voorbeeld te noemen:

‘The Roman empire fell in part because it concentrated on this narcissistic form of entertainment. If cage fighting is allowed to expand as predicted, it could have very dangerous consequences.

Ja hoor het romeinse keizerrijk zakte ineen omdat er gevochten werd in de arena's en wij gaan dezelfde kant op, wat een load of bullshit!

Emilio
20-03-2006, 20:48
Jezus christis. Wat een kutwijf. totaal geen research gedaan zo te merken. Alles over 1 kam scheren met dr cage fight is in de VS overal gebanned. Als ergens veel in de kooi wordt geknokt is het wel in de VS. En dat puur legaal. De UFC is populairder dan ooit ervoor.

Dit lijkt echt typisch op zo'n terpstra-artikel toen het Freefighten hier werd geintroduceerd.

Net zoals dat stukje over die amerikaan die doodgeslagen werd. Ze doen het hier overkomen of dat een minutenlange ground en pound is geweest terwijl dat met een stuk of 5 stoten afgelopen was.

En altijd die discussie over boksen vs mma qua gevaar. Je kunt een MMA wedstrijd winnen of verliezen zonder dat je uberhaupt 1 stoot hebt gehad. Bij boksen krijg je zowiezo klappen. Al gaat het alleen maar om de jabs waar je een hele partij tegen aanloopt en die je brains lekker door je dekseltje laten schudden.

Anonymous
21-03-2006, 15:25
Super, net zoiets als Terpstra
Door al die kranten artiekelen en media aandacht zat het bomvol in Manchester.
De .promotor zou een bedank briefje moeten sturen

Iwan
21-03-2006, 15:32
Ik ga me maar eens even flink afsjorren, want hier word ik ook niet vrolijker van... :(

ashi76
21-03-2006, 15:48
Fuckin' cunt !!!!! :evil: