PDA

View Full Version : minotauro interview

MB667
22-05-2006, 10:34
Hi. Below is a translation of Minotauro interview, taken from "Delo", slovenian mainstream newspaper (May 22nd, 2006). Enjoy.

Are you in Slovenia for the first time?
Yes, and I must say I am quite surprised. Just merely for the reason of the love of order - everybody I had dealings with, kept their end of the deal.

How did you get you nickname ‘Minotauro’?
I think it was when I was 14 years old, when I started to take boxing lessons beside judo training. I already had around 198 lbs then, plus I was quite taller than my peers, who because of this started to call me Minotauro.

When did you begin to compete in MMA?
I was 20 yrs old when I started to train various MA because of serious intent to compete in this sport. Only one year later I was in the ring at the tournament in Miami. My first professional bout was in 1999 in Orlando, and only after a few victories I obtained the title of World Champion, title which I would obtain again in 2001 and 2002. Right now I don’t have the belt, but I’m still among five top fighters in the world and I have good chances to win back the belt.

Is it possible to make a fortune in this sport?
Now it is, because MMA bouts are very popular in Japan, Brazil and USA. The most successful Japanese fighters, among who are Ogawa and Yoshida, get up to million$ per bout in their homeland. Earnings of foreigners add up to 300.000$.

What was the most serious injury you got in the ring?
I don’t know, I have to think about it a little. Probably it was my nose, when it was broken.

Is this in your opinion a dangerous sport?
No, because basically all fighters, who step into the ring, are physically very fit and ready for such fights. Given the fact that we train several hours a day, our bodies are hardened and used to all blows.

Has your five years old daughter Tania already seen you “work�?
Yes, but not live. I got the feeling that she enjoys seeing my bouts on TV more than anything in the world. Besides that, she already knows a few judo and jiu jitsu “knacks�. No wonder, since her mother holds the brown belt., tho’ we don’t live together anymore.

Which is in your opinion the best MA?
I think there is no such thing as perfect MA, but I would say that brazilian Jiu Jitsu is the most effective one. If you are proficient in it enough, then you already have around 50% of the basics to compete in MMA. But besides that, you have to master elements of boxing and wrestling also. So, mixture of brazilian jiu jitsu, boxing and wrestling is what it takes to make a perfect fighter.

How do you comment on remarks of some people, who say that those who decide for MMA, do so only because they’re not good enough at some specific MA?
If any given champion of any other MA challenged me, he would leave the ring as a loser for sure. There is no doubt, that were are more complete fighters – physically and mentally. We, MMA fighters, are some kind of killing machines. If we compare MA to surfing, then I would say: while judo, jiu jitsu, boxing and wrestling fighters are masters of the small waves, we are successfully defeating even the biggest. I can say for myself, that I fear nothing and no one.

Who is currently the best fighter in the World?
Me and my brother Rogerio are certainly in the forefront. Of course one certainly must mention also Russian Fedor Emelianenko and Croat Mirko Filipovic among the best.

How do you remember your bout with Filipovic?
It was very close at the beginning, but I nevertheless then forced him to tap due to armbar. I have to say I respect and value him very much – mostly due to his excellent kicks.

Do you ever go and grab a beer after the bout with your opponent?
To be honest, I always like to exchange a few words with my opponent before the bout, so I get to know him a little better. But once the bout is over – no matter what the outcome – I usually don’t have anything to do with him anymore. But I want to stress, that we are no enemies to each other. After all, we are some kind of business partners.

How much do you train per day?
Two months before the bout I train six times a week, eight hours a day, then a month of more easy training follows, so my body can rest up from exertion.

When is your next bout?
July 1st in Japan when there will be quarterfinals for the PRIDE World Champion. But I still don’t know, who my opponent will be.

p diddy
22-05-2006, 12:11
vet thx man!!