PDA

View Full Version : manhoef oyama en sakuraba akiyama

ICON
07-09-2006, 16:46
The HERO'S Light Heavyweight Tournament semifinal brackets were decided today at a press conference in a Kanagawa hotel

Kazushi Sakuraba will face sYoshihiro Akiyama, while Shungo Oyama will fight Holland's Melvin Manhoef. Interestingly, Sakuraba vs. Akiyama was planned as a bout on K-1's New Year's Eve 'Dynamite!' card, but FEG President Sadaharu Tanigawa commented that, "we wanted to strike while the iron was still hot."

Sakuraba had formerly displayed worry concerning his further particiaption in the tournament after his victory over Kestutis Smirnovas in the opening round, where he was subject to a most severe assault. But Sakuraba responded to his fears, "when the test results of my CAT scan came back with nothing unusual diagnosed, I had a strong hope I'd fight." Sakuraba had taken three weeks to rest after the bout and had resumed training this week.

In a humourous episode at the press conference, Sakuraba asked his opponent, Yoshihiro Akiyama, to not hit him very hard during their upcoming bout. It seemed Sakuraba's reknowned humour was still in tow.

Shungo Oyama expressed nothing but respect and excitement towards his opponent, Melvin Manhoef. Oyama heralded Manhoef as the top fighter in Europe today, noting his rising celebrity. Oyama further stated, " I'm in my best condition right now. I had a feeling I'd be fighting Manhoef again, so when I got the phone call to fight him, all I could say was thank you." This will be a rematch between the two, as their March 15th bout ended undecisively due to a cut sustained by Oyama.

Melvin Manhoef was not present at the conference.

Sammy Presents HERO'S 2006: Middleweight & Light Heavyweight Tournament Final
October 9th, 2006
Yokohama Arena
Kanagawa, Japan
Doors Open: 14:30
Fights Start: 16:00

Tentative Fight Card (Card Subject To Change):

HERO'S 2006 Middleweight Tournament Semifinal
70 KG, 2R/1EXT 5M
Kaoru Uno (Wajyutsu Keisyukai Tokyo Headquarters) vs. Ivan Menjivar (Tristar Gym)

HERO'S 2006 Middleweight Tournament Semifinal
70 KG, 2R/1EXT 5M
Gesias Calvancanti (American Top Team) vs. Rani Yahira (Ataida Jr. Jiu-Jitsu)

HERO'S 2006 Light Heavyweight Tournament Semifinal
85 KG, 2R/1EXT 5M
Kazushi Sakuraba (Freelance) vs. Yoshihiro Akiyama (Freelance)

HERO'S 2006 Light Heavyweight Tournament Semifinal
85 KG, 2R/1EXT 5M
Melvin Manhoef (IT'S SHOWTIME) vs. Shungo Oyama (Freelance)

Jochem
07-09-2006, 17:26
GO Melvin

Remco
07-09-2006, 18:51
Altijd lachen met Sak!

Briant
08-09-2006, 00:02
Die sakuraba heeft heel wat pak slaag gehad in zn leven :) maar blijft toffe gast. Akiyama heeft een judo achtergrond en als judoka duim ik een beetje voor hem, zal een zware klus worden.

enneh melvin moet gwoon winnen

sportfan
08-09-2006, 09:08
Shungo Oyama expressed nothing but respect and excitement towards his opponent, Melvin Manhoef. Oyama heralded Manhoef as the top fighter in Europe today, noting his rising celebrity. Oyama further stated, " I'm in my best condition right now. I had a feeling I'd be fighting Manhoef again, so when I got the phone call to fight him, all I could say was thank you." This will be a rematch between the two, as their March 15th bout ended undecisively due to a cut sustained by Oyama.

undecisively? TKO bedoelen ze... Jappaners... :D