PDA

View Full Version : UFC 70: Werdum tekent bij UFC

Wheelie
24-02-2007, 03:01
MANCHESTER, England, Feb 23---Fabricio Werdum was today announced as the latest PRIDE fighter to jump to the Ultimate Fighting Championship – and Dana White warned “I’m not done yet.”

The announcement came at a press conference to formally introduce the Las Vegas-based promotion’s April 21 event in Manchester, England, at which Brazilian jiu-jitsu black belt Werdum (9-2-1) will fight former UFC Heavyweight Champion Andrei Arlovski (10-5). The show, set for the Manchester Evening News Arena, will feature Mirko “Cro Cop” Filipovic (22-4-2) vs. Gabriel Gonzaga (7-1) in the headline slot, with Clitheroe native Michael Bisping (12-0) vs. Elvis Sinosic (8-9-2) and Forrest Griffin (13-4) vs. Ryoto Machida (9-0) also signed. Dana White confirmed that should Cro Cop defeat Gonzaga, he will receive a heavyweight title match against either Tim Sylvia or Randy Couture, who fight at March 3’s UFC in Columbus, Ohio.

White said the Werdum signing had only just been finalized. “PRIDE is in deep trouble. We’ve snatched away half their guys and I’m not done yet.” He dismissed another promotional rival more succinctly: “IFL sucks.”

Marshall Zelaznik, President of UFC’s UK division, told a crowd of around 30 media representatives that the promotion was in Europe for good. “I’ve relocated my family here and bought a house. We’re not going anywhere. Unlike the NFL, we don’t have to rekindle interest in our sport in Europe – the interest is already here.”

The promotion will hold between four and six shows a year in Europe, with Zelaznik already exploring smaller venues for future editions of the UFC’s successful “Fight Night” editions, currently running in the U.S. on Spike TV.

Zelaznik also announced two European television deals. The existing contract with Bravo to carry U.S. PPV events on a one-day delay, as well as broadcasting “The Ultimate Fighter” and “UFC Unleashed,” is to be extended. Meanwhile all events held in the UK will be broadcast live on the Setanta pay-per-view network for £14.95 (approximately $30).

According to White, who was clad in a t-shirt bearing the UK flag, British fighters will be an important part of the European expansion. “I’ve been blown away by the growth of UK talent since we last came here in 2002. Wherever the money is, that’s where the talented people go. Young kids who would have gone into boxing will now go into mixed martial arts.”

Although the Manchester event does not require official sanctioning, White said the show would follow Nevada State Athletic Commission guidelines, as well as meeting the medical and safety standards of the British Boxing Board of Control, which regulates boxing in the UK. Having visited the training camp of boxer Ricky Hatton yesterday, White says he feels the two sports can co-exist. “Except for some promoters I’ve fought with, the boxing community has welcomed us. Boxing is big here and in Europe, and it should be big in the US - but Don King and Bob Arum have done nothing to secure the sport’s future.”

According to MEN Arena manager John Knight, the arena will initially be set up for a capacity of 13,700, though extra seats may be made available if the event sells out. Tickets for April 21’s event are listed at £25-£250 ($50-500.) White said he was “praying for a sellout” and admitted that 2002’s UFC 38, held at the much smaller Royal Albert Hall in London, “murdered us financially. Running that show was a mistake.”

White expressed similar sentiments about the boxing match with Tito Ortiz, which he said would take place on March 24. “I wish I’d never said yes. I’m too old and too comfortable to be eating and working out the way I am [for this fight].”

Jochem
24-02-2007, 03:07
boxing match met tito? heb ik iets gemist

redjuh
24-02-2007, 05:18
boxing match met tito? heb ik iets gemist

ja was onderdeel van tito's contract. dana heeft semi pro geboxt.

en verder... Dana roeleert! en de UFC OOK!!!

CDW
24-02-2007, 07:06
Damn weer iemand weg bij Pride! Vind het het jammer van de UFC dat ze iedereen die groot is geworden bij Pride proberen weg te kopen! Hebben ze zelf geen oog voor groot talent???

The Bulldog
24-02-2007, 07:08
buiten dat.... Werdum - Crocop zal nooit komen denk ik...

CDW
24-02-2007, 07:23
Heb je gelijk in! Werdum traint bij Crocop! Tis dan toch zonde van Werdum dat ie weg gaat bij Pride! Na Barnet zou hij dan toch 1 van kanshebbers zijn om het tegen Fedor op te nemen!

Ossie
24-02-2007, 07:35
Is idd. verrot dat UFC de toppers van pride wegkaapt.
Maar ja, net wat White zelf zegt: waar het geld is, daar gaan de getalenteerde vechters heen.

Uiteindelijk zie je waarschijnlijk nog steedse dezelfde toppers tegen elkaar uitkomen, aangezien UFC ze toch allemaal wil overnemen....

HUNEBED
25-02-2007, 02:52
"We’ve snatched away half their guys...."

damn, nu heeft Pride nog maar 4 vechters over... Dana wat ben je toch 'n boefje

The Bulldog
25-02-2007, 03:07
ben benieuwd welke NL-ders er nog meer in UFC terecht gaankomen....want de ambitie van White is duidelijk...

:borg:totall world domination... :evil:

CDW
25-02-2007, 03:10
Het wordt tijd dat de directeur van Pride USA te boel gaat overnemen! Die gast is zwaar rijk en kan er voor zorgen dat Pride nog blijft bestaan!

Influcted
25-02-2007, 03:14
Ik hoop echt dat UFC Manhoef ook nog koopt maar zoals het nu lijkt koopt de UFC Pride eerst leeg.

remco pardoel
25-02-2007, 06:58
Fabricio geeft les aan CroCop voor grondwerk en traint daar staande..
dus dat mag je niet even uitvlakken.
Ik denk dat UFC op dit moment heel veel meer te bieden heeft als Pride.
Het is alleen maar goed voor de markt.
Nu krijgen de sporters, eindelijk, hun financiele support die ze verdienen.
Zou erg cool zijn om Allistar binnen de UFC te zien.
Ik denk dat de regels hem meer zullen liggen dan die van Pride.