PDA

View Full Version : Werdum interview(Talks UFC, Arlovski, CroCop, Wandy etc)

Judas
26-03-2007, 06:06
From Pride to UFC
By Eduardo Ferreira

http://www.fight.hu/image_upload/more_2005_02_18_14_50_crocopandwerdum.jpg

Fabrício Werdum is one more athlete who is leaving the Pride ring to get the UFC octagon. The Brazilian fighter will fight at the UFC 70, which will be held on April 21st in , against the former-champion of the heavy category of UFC Andrey Arlovski. BJJ world champion, Werdum received us under an exclusive interview where he talked bout the organization change, about the bout against Arlovski, his training and about a possible confrontation with his former team mate Mirko Cro Cop and with Gabriel Napão, who Werdum already defeated at Jungle Fight 2. Check out now the complete interview:

How was that change from the Pride to the UFC?

My manager Ken May said that I was going to fight at the Pride 33, but it seems that they didn’t accept the purse we asked them, so he tough that was better to me to go fighting at UFC. He didn’t explained to me very well, but I know they will pay me much better there, I think almost the double that I am receiving at the Pride organization.

But didn’t you have a contract with the Pride?

No, my contract is with Ken May, my contract finishes on December and I want to renovate. I want to be the champion this year. I am at UFC now so I want to be the champion there. I did a contract of four bouts with the UFC and I want to dispute the belt on the third or on the fourth bout of my contract.

You were Cro Cop’s trainer during some time and you both always said that you didn’t want to face each other. He also left the Pride for the UFC and also wants the belt…

If we have to face each other some day, we will. He wants the belt as like me. We will try to avoid this to happen, because we were from the same team, we have the same manager and we are friends. He wants me to go back there to train. I went to recently to do some seminars in and then I went to and we enjoyed the opportunity to meet him and I wanted to know how he was going on. We talked a lot.

You faced and defeated Gabriel Napão Gonzaga at Jungle Fight. Now he is also at UFC and you can possible face each other to get the belt. How would be this bout against him today?

Napão is pretty well now, he had only one defeat I think, that was for me at the Jungle Fight. I think that this fight would be much different today. They are both more professionals and at that bout we didn’t have the same technique. I wish to face him again and if I have to face him to get this belt we will fight.

How is your trainings now?

I suffered an operation on my throat and nose in the beginning of the year. I spent three weeks at home to feel myself better, but I am back to trainings now. I have been training the ground game with Mário Reis and Márcio Fortes, who is also a black belt. And I am doing the preparation with a Cuban fighter who is here with me and I am always training Boxing with Cafuringa.

What do you expect f this bout against Andrei Arlovski?

When we don’t know when will be held our next bout we didn’t get so motivated, but now I have this fight against Arlovski and I am pretty excited. I like face tough guys, famous guys like Arlovski, he is former champion of this category. I don’t like to face someone who is starting now. Arlovski is dangerous standed up, he likes to do the counter attack, but I am training much Boxing. If I have to exchange punches with him I will and if I had the opportunity to take him down will be much better, because my good game is the BJJ. I will train a lot to do a good bout and be able to dispute the belt soon.

What did you think about Wanderlei Silva and Rogério Minotouro’s bouts at Pride 33? Where do you think they were wrong?

Minotauro was really well prepared. His adversary can be good, but I think that his cross punch was luck. He did that blow for luck. Minotouro has not a bad chin, but that cross punch attacked him hardly. If they face each other again, Minotouro will win. But talking about Wanderlei, I really think Dan Henderson was better than him. I think the American athlete wanted it much more. Wanderlei didn’t make a mistake, he had suffered a punch before, and so he was KO’d with that cross punch.

Who do you think that was able to defeat Henderson until 83kg and until 93kg?

Until 83kg I think Paulão Filho defeats him easily and until 93kg the man is Maurício Shogun

Interview from tatame.com

Ralph
26-03-2007, 19:26
Leuk dat ie alleen maar Brazilianen noemt die Henderson zouden kunnen verslaan.... Is toch een chauvinistisch volkje. Voor de rest wel een aardig interview.

Evilman
29-03-2007, 01:42
Yup. Ben bnieuwd tegen arlovski.
Laatste keer dat k m zag (en 1e keer in t echt)
was op 2h2h tegen alexander.
Maar dat was ook een partij van niets eigenlijk.

En Arlovski is ook niet verkeerd op de grond.
Denk dat t wel n vette partij wordt!