PDA

View Full Version : Gonzaga interview

Chico
01-05-2007, 00:36
http://www.sherdog.net/forums/showthread.php?threadid=560778

*What did it feel like to knockout Mirko Flipovic with his main weapon.

The feeling was one of everything being fullfilled. Much devotion, hard training, many people were involved and working toward this objective, and it was a victory for all. To knock him out with a kick was very good. The fight went completely as we planned, I did not enter Mirko Filipovic's game and succeeded in imposing my rythm. Above all, this was the result of much devotion.

*It seemed that most people who thought you could win expected a decision or a submission...

I trained alot on my stand up, we studied the game of Cro Cop, all of Team Link watched all of his fights and we defined the best strategy and tactics. We knew all of his steps down to the most minimum of details, kicks, footwork, combinations, takedown defenses, we did not forget any detail. From there, I planned my game and the knockout was only a question of time.

*You showed alot of confidence before the fight, and declared that if the Mirko wanted to fight for a title, he would have to go down in weight, because the next challenger to Randy Couture would be you…

Myself and my team were certain of the victory. I trained as I never had trained in my life, was in good shape both physically and technically. I only said this because everyone was saying the fight between Cro Cop and Randy Couture would be very good, and always forgot that he would have to pass through me, I said this to silence many. My strategy was to break through with a knockout or submission. I had two options: to make a breakthrough and show that I can be champion, or, to be another win for Mirko Filipovic.

*When the UFC called you to face Mirko Filipovic, how did you feel about taking the fight?

In truth my manager already had spoken with me about the possibility of fighting him, and between us we knew that it would be a good fight. When I signed to fight, I withdrew myself from everything else, and trained constantly for two solid months.

*When he fell with his eyes turned and his foot twisted, did you think it was maybe something more serious?

It was a very strong knock-out, but I asked to the doctors what his condition was and they told me he was okay, thank God. We are professionals, we simply go to do a job, and do not wish evil on any opponent.

*How was the experience of fighting in England and in your first main event in the UFC?

It was great! The place was crowded, full house, more than 14 a thousand people. It was very good, the organization should be congratulated, it gets better each time.

*What is the strategy against Randy Couture? What do you expect?

Randy is a very strong fighter and dangerous, my team is already working, and we will consider what the best strategy is against him. He is a great champion, a great example for all of us and he doesn't need to prove nothing to nobody. It will be a very good fight for the fans, and because of my respect for him, I'm going to train double of what I trained to face Mirko.

*Randy Couture is one of the great idols in American MMA, will it bother you that he has the admiration of all the fans?

He can include me in this list of fans of Randy Couture, I have the biggest admiration for him, he is one man that really deserves all of our respect for his behavior, as much as for his wins and losses. To fight with him will be an honor. But I want to be the UFC champion, and to show to the fans that it is now the age of Gabriel Napão.

*The Brazilians have been very euphoric with your victory, some already believe that you are the one that can beat Emelianenko Fedor…

Without a doubt none the man is an excellent fighter, but first he has to come to the UFC. I have a contract with the organization and am very happy here, if Dana White wants to make this fight in the future, it would certainly be an honor to face him.

*You lost to Fabrício Werdum several years ago, now he is also in the UFC, have you thought about asking Dana White for a rematch?

Werdum is a great fighter, when we fought we were young and in the beginning of our careers, but it was still a beautiful fight, it was very competitive and we showed we had heart. Now we are more experienced and professional, if it is in the interest of the UFC to put this fight together, it would be an honor to face him.

*Rodrigo Minotauro is also in the UFC now…

Minotauro is a great fighter and this is very good for the UFC and the fans.

*Differently from many of the Brazilians who are appearing in the rankings, you do not come of a great team. What is happening at Team Link?

My team in conjuction with Marco Alvan, has some stars that are going to shine when the time comes. We are building a very strong foundation, with dedicated athletes and on the basis of the main arts of MMA; wrestling, brazilian jiu jítsu, muay thai and boxing. We have excellent trainers that are sharpening the team.

*Before your fight with Randy Couture there is ADCC. Pride took Ricardo Arona and Alistair Overeem out of the competition. What is your situation for ADCC?

My manager, Marco Alvan, is taking care of of this, I believe I will not have problems.

*You he won the Copa De Mundo and World-wide championship of Jiu Jítsu in 2006, you are undefeated in the UFC and now you will fight for the title. Is this the best time in your life?

On the professional side everything is great and in my life everything is even greater. My wife is 5 months pregnant, and a new child will join my little champion, Philip.

*Thank you for the interview, can you leave a final message for the readers…

This victory over Mirko Filipovic was a victory of devotion, determination and confidence; I dedicate this to all who believed me. I would also like to thank my sponsors that supported me and helped me train for this fight: Discover Marble & Granite and Dragon Kimonos. I would also like to leave an invitation to athletes who want to join my team. We are a team in formation and our doors are open to receive athletes. Abraços, Napão!

Source World Fight.net