PDA

View Full Version : Interview with Juan Carlos JC Santana owner of Intocombat

chief108
31-05-2007, 08:52
By hazmat (http://www.dragonslist.com/user/hazmat_0) at 05/20/2007 - 17:23
Author: hazmat

http://www.intocombat.com/images/jc_150.jpgJuan Carlos “JC” Santana is a world renowned authority in the area of performance enhancement and is one of the most prolific speakers in the fitness industry. JC has been published extensively and has produced many videos on the subject of performance enhancement. His educational resources bring the most innovative and cutting edge training methodology to fitness professionals around the world.

Intocombat (http://www.dragonslist.com/www.intocombat.com)is a powerhouse in the combative Industry headed by strength and conditioning coach, Juan Carlos 'JC' Santana. Santana brings over 30 years of experience in the athletic, coaching and training arena. Most of his life has been dedicated to competing and training fighters. JC’s list of fighters and grapplers reads like the who’s who of the combative world, assisting in such training camps as: Roberto Duran, Alexis Arguello, Dustin Dennis, Marcus Aurelio, Jeff Munson, to name a few. JC is also the director of the Institute of Human Performance (IHP), in Boca Raton, Florida. IHP is home to some of the world’s best athletes and boasts the best training staff in the country.

HZ - JC, for our readers who might not be familiar with all of your materials, can you tell me a little bit about the Intocombat.com and its product line?

JC - Intocombat brings combat athletes, coaches, and aficionados a unique and sophisticated blend of science and practice not yet seen in the combative world. Intocombat's training DVDs (http://www.intocombat.com/store/index.php?CategoryID=32)and Books (http://www.intocombat.com/store/index.php?CategoryID=40)provide the latest training methods developed at JC's Institute of Human Performance, where some of the worlds top fighters train. Watching anyone of our DVDs one can see fighters like Jeff Monson, Marcus Aurelio, Pablo Popovitch, and others train like you have never seen before.

HZ - Intocombat.com’s SAID (Specific Adaptations to Imposed Demands) DVDs have been quite successful, what was your thought process when putting them together? What specific needs in the industry were you trying to address?

JC - Our famous fighting circuits were fist developed out of necessity. Some years ago, when Marcus Aurelio was coming up in the ranks of MMA, I got a call from Ricardo Liborio from the American Top Team. Marcus had sustained an injury to his ribs while getting ready for the ZST tournament in Japan. This was a huge opportunity for Marcus and pulling out was not an option. Marcus and I met and I design a series of fight-like training moves that did not hurt his ribs. I studied one of his previous fights and selected movements and repetition sequences he naturally performed in his fights. For eight weeks we trained on these exercises and circuits (no sparring for 8 weeks). To make a long story short - Marcus won ZST twice and broke into the Bushido Pride circuit. The SAID approach was Marcus ticket to the big contract he always wanted.

Since then the SAID circuits have evolved to a complete training system that is integrated into a fighter's comprehensive training program. We have really done a good job at organizing the training variables where they are scientifically sound and creatively specific:)

HZ - The Grip Dominator sleeve (http://www.intocombat.com/video_detail.php?VideoID=47) is a quite unique piece of equipment, can you tell our readers more about it, and how did it come about?

JC - I just got back from Colorado where we put the final touches on the GRIP DOMINATOR DESIGNS. We now have 5 different Grip tools coming out in the fall of 2007. The Grip Dominator Sleeve was the first of my inventions.

In 2003, I was training for the Judo Master's Nationals. Since I was very busy with work, I needed something I could use to practice my Uchikomis with. I used a GI top with some of my bands, but the GI would slap me around as I tugged on it. I cut off the sleeves, and had my wife sew a strap on each. I attached the strapping to my Superbands and had a perfect set up to practice by myself. I eventually started playing with the sleeves, attaching them to pull-up bars, barbells, kettlebells, etc. and created a monster. This led to my research on the neurological and metabolic factors involved in gripping.

Grip Dominator Sleeve is the combat industry's first GI grip training tool and now we are following it with a series of other products and advanced research that will take combat gripping to another level. The Grip Dominator Sleeve can be ordered directly from Intocombat.com via this link (http://www.intocombat.com/store/products.php?ProductID=82). A video of the Grip Dominator sleeves in action is also available at Intocombat.com here (http://www.intocombat.com/video_detail.php?VideoID=47).(Interviewer's Note: I own and use the Grip Dominator Sleeves they are an exceptional grip training tool, a more complete review of them will appear on the blog in the coming weeks.)

HZ - Based on your experience, where do you see the Mixed Martial Arts world in the next five years, and what has to happen for it to get there?

JC - MMA will overtake boxing in the next five years. UFC's Real Fighter has already beaten Basketball and Baseball viewership combine -so the public interest is there.

UFC is the pioneer and the current monster (they won MMA and Dana White has done a great job with that). However, other companies have started to give chase and in the next five years there will be top quality MMA available on just about every channel, just about everyday.

As the sport evolves so will the dollars and the fighters. In the next five years, fighters to live and train just like every other athlete -they will become much more sophisticated and professional. When that happens, you will see even better matches and level of execution. Right now the MMA athlete is the hardest working athlete in sports - they bring ALL of the time. They are fighting for peanuts - even at the highest level. Jeff Monson got paid $13,000 for a title fight that consumed his life for 12 weeks. By the time Jeff paid for his training camp and all other expenses - he lost thousands! Jeff is the typical MMA fighter - smart, hard working, and very temperamental (i.e. a little unorganized) in how he approaches and executes his career. I believe much of the lack of organization fighters like Jeff experience is due to the lack of money in the industry - if fighters got paid more they would not have to travel all over the world to fight every three weeks or so. It is hard to get organized when you are starving and don't know where your next paycheck is coming from.

SO - more publicity will bring more money and that will enhance the quality of the sport.

On a last note - I believe the main reason MMA is growing so fast and has a bright future is that they don't have the criminal and crooked history of boxing. I hope the promoters of this sport understand this and don't allow the sport to go in that direction. They must keep the sport clean, honest and with the honest integrity our fighters show when they come in the ring. Leaders like Dana White are the stewards of this sport and have a huge responsibility to keep it clean, honest, ethical, and valuable. I believe people like Dana understand this and are doing a great job in pointing the sport where it needs to go - in the opposite of boxing.

chief108
31-05-2007, 08:54
HZ - Your client list is a virtual who’s who of Mixed Martial Arts and grappling, how do the needs of your elite athletes differ from the “weekend/evening warriors”?

JC - The training is often the same - the weekend warrior at IHP loves our "Spartan Training (http://www.intocombat.com/video_detail.php?VideoID=48)," everyone like to feel like a warrior. The main difference is the intensities - our fighters explore the capacity of the human body, as well as the human spirit. However, most of the exercises we perform with our fighter can be toned down so they can be used with the personal training clients at IHP.

HZ - What is the most prevalent weakness in the training programs of most of the athletes (both professional and amateur) you see on a frequent basis? How do you go about addressing that weakness?

JC - That is easy - OVERTRAINING! Most fighters operate on the premise that the more abuse they take the better fighters they become -WRONG. A fighter should NOT test their manhood in the gym - they learn and get healthy in the gym - test their skills and manhood while making money in a fight! You are only allowed so many kicks and punches to the head -when you use them all - your career is over. Most injuries occur in LIVE practice - so if you want longevity so have to find a way to train harder then a fight, without the abuse. That is where our SAID circuits come in. I can put more intensity into a fighter's training then they will ever see in a fight - with NO risk of injuries!

Another weakness is the lack of science behind the training. Exercise Science, and related degrees are four year college programs - that is for a reason! No one would think of going to a friend to get operated on - but the same scrutiny is not applied to strength and conditioning coaches. A fighter is putting his life on the line when they go in the ring - yet few camps have strength and conditioning coaches that are TRUE PROFESSIONALS (having extensive academic and experience credentials).

HZ - When an athlete starts working with you where are they bound to see the most improvement?

JC - Going from barbaric and chaotic training to well planned and scientifically based training only has one result - dramatic improvements and longevity. It is like going from being homeless, starving and sick to being loved, cared for, housed, and healthy.

The injuries in our camps are basically non-existent. However, we often do not have 100% control of what happens when the fighter goes to their fighting school and is under the care of a MMA coach that does NOT understand physical training. There is always that conflict. I wish I had enough space at IHP to house a MMA team - I think we could push the industry much faster if we did not have to clash with BJJ and MMA coaches that persist on abusing their fighters in a attempt to make them better.

HZ - Recently Intocombat.com has put tremendous emphasis on grip training and while the Grip Dominator sleeves are excellent for Gi training, what about MMA/No-Gi/Wrestling/etc grip work?

JC - We are currently working on various training tools with our partner FREEMOTION, such as various straps and rollers. Our research with core training indicates that core stability is the limiting factor in generating force in many movements, such as running, throwing, swimming, etc. This means if the spine is not stable, the brain pick is pup and inhibits any force production that may injure the spine - it is a neural phenomenon that is reflexive in nature - not volitional.

The wrist is one of two gateways to the upper body (i.e. one is the spine and one it the arms). Our research suggests that if the wrist is NOT stable, major muscles in charge of moving the arms (e.g. back and chest muscles) become inhibited and can fire. Therefore, wrist strength and stability become paramount to force production in pulling and pushing.

HZ - Lastly, what does the future hold for Intocombat.com, what sort of new products, articles, and content should we expect to see?

JC - When I started Intocombat my aim was to raise the bar in the combat world. I’m one that likes to work and do instead of talk and look. SO – I plan for Intocombat to EARN the right to be considered the Coach’s Choice in the combat world. I will work very hard to have my integrity, ethical standards, and dedication come through load and clear in my work.

Our grip technology is very exciting and we look forward lots of R&D from that aspect of our work.

The new book, “Strength and Conditioning for the Modern Gladiator” will be coming out this year or early next year! I believe that book will mark the beginning of a new age in combat training.

We have some great training DVDs coming out that will illustrate some of the workouts we used with Jeff Monson getting ready for his UFC 65 title fight with Tim Sylvia.

Finally – Intocombat will start joining forces with some of the best fighter in joint ventures. For example, we have already teamed up with Jeff Monson on the Final Countdown Projects. Pablo Popovitch and I will start a technical series that will include a BJJ curriculum along with the physical preparation need to excel in the curriculum. I also plan on working with Thomas “the Wildman” Denny, Marcus Aurellio, and many other of the worlds top fighters. I believe that we can take this great industry to new heights if we all work together.

HZ - Thank you very much for your time JC, do you have anything else you’d like to add for the members of The Dragon’s List?

JC - It is an honor to have this opportunity to be introduced to “The Dragon’s List” family. I love this industry, I’m here for the long haul, and I will always stay a coach at heart. You can always email me and ask questions – I answer ALL of my email and I’m grateful everyday that people value my opinion enough to ask questions. If you want to see me work – I’m on the floor at IHP everyday – training athletes and non-athletes alike. I supervise all training at IHP “Hands ON” – not from behind a computer!!

I thank everyone for their kind support of my companies, my family and me. I look forward to meeting many of you on the road or at IHP – please come and visit.

Thank you for this opportunity – my best to all of you.

JC
Juan Carlos "JC" Santana
Director:
Institute of Human Performance (www.ihpfit.com)
Intocombat (www.intocombat.com)
1950 NW 2nd AVE
Boca Raton, FL 33432
561-393-3881

Interviewer's Note: I've trained with JC and I've had the pleasure to attend one of his seminars, he's an exceptional teacher and great person, I can't recommend his materials highly enough. -hz

chief108
31-05-2007, 08:56
geleend van mijn maatje Hazmat die dit interview heeft gedaan voor de Dragonslist

binnenkort krijg ik ook die Grip Dominator sleeve (http://www.intocombat.com/video_detail.php?VideoID=47) dingen om mee te spelen... :brow:

Tsuki
31-05-2007, 18:45
into combat is goeie shit ......................

chief108
31-05-2007, 19:25
yup...

die gasten zijn goed bezig
komen toch telkens met leuke praktische train shizzle die uitermate goed afgestemd zijn op wat een vechter nodig heeft :thup:

als ik het goed begrepen heb gaat Haz ook op 1 of andere manier samenwerken met die gasten voor de distributie van zijn eigen DVD
die wordt ook erg grappig, zijn allemaal oefeningen die je thuis kan doen met maximum $50 aan equipment (wel zelf maken dus)
working title is iets als "Poor man's Guide to Strength" geloof ik :lol:

http://img187.imageshack.us/img187/6073/scytheoverheadflipfe6.jpg

The tool I'm using is a homemade torso trainer I like to call "The Scythe". Retail these cost something like $70, I made mine for $8.

Also the "Band Rail" behind me retails for $250-$500, I made mine for $25.

As Mrs. Hazmat would say, it's all about "The Cheap".

Or as Old Man Hazmat likes to say "You make workouts for cheapskates."

chief zegt: "ik denk dat die gast wel een succes in Nederland kan worden" :wewantmore::power:

RNLMC
31-05-2007, 19:27
lijken me wel coole dingen die grip dominators,alleen 60$ voor de stukies stof is een beetje teveel van het goede....

paspoes
31-05-2007, 19:33

x2:thup:

chief108
31-05-2007, 19:34
lijken me wel coole dingen die grip dominators,alleen 60$ voor de stukies stof is een beetje teveel van het goede....
als het goed is krijg ik deze week een setje om te testen
zal wel kijken of het wat is (en hoe je ze het beste zelf ken maken...)

RNLMC
31-05-2007, 19:38
als het goed is krijg ik deze week een setje om te testen
zal wel kijken of het wat is (en hoe je ze het beste zelf ken maken...)

reps :thup: ;)

chief108
31-05-2007, 19:47
als het niet gratis kan, dan maar goedkoop... :deal:

tja, je moet toch wat als je op een beperkt budget zit... :whistling:

Chico
03-06-2007, 06:12
gasten hebben geniale concepten... heb shit van hun gebruikt en m'n guppen waren er absoluut niet blij mee hoe moe ze waren :D...
zelf ook bekaf door die dingen en je slijt bepaalde bewegingen tijdens conditie training... heb sommige mensen laten tikken door bewegingen die ik in circuits verwerkte op hun principes :D

chief108
03-06-2007, 11:03
cool....
ik geloof wel in de theorie achter die grip dinges dingen...

ik ben dan ook erg benieuwd ernaar
heb ze nog steeds niet binnen :twak:

cholitzu
04-06-2007, 02:43
chief108als het niet gratis kan, dan maar goedkoop... :deal:

tja, je moet toch wat als je op een beperkt budget zit... :whistling:

Het wordt al heel lang gebruikt,.

Gebruik je broek of jas van je kimono om gewichtten te trekken etc.

goedkoopste oplossing....en zeker resultaat.

als je nog een oude kimonobroek hebt kan je er ook een stuk uit knippen om te gebruiken.:thup:

chief108
13-08-2007, 21:44
http://www.mixfight.nl/forum/showthread.php?p=438636#post438636