PDA

View Full Version : Rameau Thierry Sokoudjou wil Mauricio "Shogun" Rua

Wheelie
15-06-2007, 21:26
SOKOUDJOU WANTS SHOGUN ASAP

http://www.fighthype.com/images/content/rameausokoudjou.jpg

FightHype.com was contacted by rising Pride FC star Rameau Thierry Sokoudjou to officially call out Mauricio "Shogun" Rua. With Liddell’s loss last Saturday night to Quinton “Rampage“ Jackson, Rua, who holds a first round knockout win over Jackson, is now considered by most to be the best light heavyweight in the world. Sokoudjou, who exploded onto the scene with first round knockout wins of his own over Antonio Rogerio Nogueira and Ricardo Arona, says, “I just want to fight the best.” Rua has an MMA record of 16-2, while Sokoudjou is 4-1. Full interview with Sokoudjou to follow shortly.

Wheelie
15-06-2007, 21:29
SOKOUDJOU: “I WILL FIGHT SHOGUN ANYWHERE….I KNOW I CAN BEAT HIM.”

http://www.fighthype.com/images/content/rameausokoudjou.jpg

FightHype recently caught up with Pride light heavyweight sensation Sokoudjou to discuss his thoughts on Quinton Jackson, Chuck Liddell, Dan Henderson and much more…including his willingness to fight Tito Ortiz as well as Shogun Rua, who he’d face “in a jungle, in a cage, in a ring, in Brazil; wherever!”

PC: What’s been up man?

ST: I’ve just been training. I’m trying to improve my techniques. I’m just trying to improve my boxing skills and keep my ground game tight because I haven’t had to use it in my last 2 fights.

PC: What did you think about the Chuck Liddell/Rampage Jackson fight?

ST: It looked to me like Chuck Liddell was scared of Rampage. He got beat down a few years ago by Rampage. They say his gameplan was to circle around, but it looked more to me like he was running from the power of Rampage. Chuck is used to fighting guys that are grapplers and wrestlers. I think his last 5 or 6 fights he was fighting Jiu Jitsu or wrestling guys. Rampage was the first guy he’s fought in a while that throws a bunch of punches and has power and that’s what happened. He got caught. He went to the body right off the bat and didn’t set it up with anything. That’s one of the reasons you don’t go to the body without setting it up.

PC: I know you went to the K-1 “Dynamite” show. What did you think about that card and those fights?

ST: The card was… the problem was there was too much time in between the fights. I actually had more fun hanging out with people than actually watching the fights. The fighters may be in there 10 minutes and then it was like an hour break. In the last fight, they were interviewing the guy and you couldn’t hear what he was saying. They made some mistakes. I like the fight with Melvin and the Judo guy (Dong Sik Yoon). That was one of the best fights of the night.

PC: Your teammate, Dan Henderson, has Rampage next. What do you think about that fight?

ST: It’s kind of funny because those guys are friends and now they have to fight each other. I mean, it will be a good fight because Rampage has got some power and Dan has power. Rampage also has good slams and Dan has good throws, so it will be on for sure. That is going to be a really good fight.

PC: Shogun is probably considered the best light heavyweight in the world since Liddell’s loss (although some considered him the best before that). Is that the main reason behind you wanting to fight him?

ST: Yeah. Like you said, most people consider him the best in the world and I’m here to fight the best. I’m looking for the chance to fight him because people have called me a lucky guy twice, so I’m really trying to stretch this luck that I’m having.

PC: I’m sure you’ve seen plenty of Shogun’s fights. What do you think of him as a fighter?

ST: I think he’s a good fighter. I just think people get in there and don’t try hard enough to win against him because he is Shogun. I know I can beat him.

PC: Shogun may be the best striker in the light heavyweight division, but you’ve shown great striking ability as well in your fights with Nogueira and Arona. Do you think a fight with Shogun is a standup war or would you like to use your throws?

ST: I would love to use some of my throws, but for the last two fights, I could not use them because of strategy. I think Shogun is the perfect fighter for me because he has striking skills, ground game and everything. I’m looking for someone like him to bring out my Judo skills, my striking skills and my jungle skills (laughing).

PC: All signs are pointing to Shogun going to the UFC soon. Would it matter to you whether it’s in a cage or a ring or in the UFC opposed to Pride?

ST: I will fight Shogun anywhere. I would fight him in a jungle, in a cage, in a ring, in Brazil; wherever. I just want to fight him because I know I can beat him.

PC: If you could get this fight, when would you like it to take place? When would you like to fight again?

ST: If they could make that fight for tonight, I would be ready; any day or any time. I’ve been thinking about this fight because people have been calling me lucky, so I want to beat the best (Shogun) before my luck runs out. I want to see how far my luck can go.

PC: A win over Shogun will catapult you as the king in the light heavyweight division. Why would Sokoudjou beat Shogun? What could you do that only 2 other people have done?

ST: I know I will punch him as hard as I can, I will throw him as hard as I can and I don’t think he’s ever fought anyone that’s going to go after him like I will. I would get all in Shogun’s ass and make him fight me. That’s why I think I could beat him.

PC: What would be your prediction for that fight?

ST: My prediction is it will be a fight. He will come out there looking all mean and ready to fight and I’ll be smiling. The meaner he looks, the more I would smile because that’s just me. I would be ready for 20 or 15 minutes; whatever the time would be, Pride or UFC. I would like to finish the fight early. I would like to get paid and go home early. He’s been stopped before, so I know it can be done; he’s human. I would be ready to go the entire 15 or 20 minutes if I have to though.

PC: People have to admire your willingness to fight the best although some are still calling your wins luck. Do you think a win over Shogun would put the talks of you getting lucky to rest?

ST: You know, it should, but I want people to keep calling me a lucky guy. They called me lucky the first time and then I came back, and they still call me the lucky guy. A win over Shogun, they might still call me lucky, but I’ll just be ready to show what I can do. The more they call me the lucky guy, it makes me work harder and want to fight the best, so I’d love for them to keep calling me that.

PC: Rampage had trouble overcoming the Muay Thai clinch of Shogun in their fight. What would be your gameplan to avoid being clinched by Shogun?

ST: I’ve done Thai myself and I’ve done Judo, so I have two different ways of dealing with Thai clinches. Actually his Thai clinch would work out better for me because that’s where I can use my Judo throws. I could probably let him put me in his Thai clinch because that would benefit me as far as using my Judo. With Judo, you pretty much have to be in close, so if he’s looking to Thai clinch with me I could finally throw someone.

PC: If a fight with Shogun doesn’t come to fruition, would you like to fight Tito Ortiz?

ST: I would love to fight Tito because I remember 5 years ago, the first time I ever heard about his fighting. I went to a Judo tournament and he was selling his gear and he was one of the first MMA fighter’s I had ever run into. He’s a good fighter and I would love to fight him if he gets past Rashad. To me, Tito is a great fighter. He lost and then he came back. Most people will lose and give up or think about something else, but Tito came back and that proves he’s a true champ. He wants to win and be a top guy out there, so I respect him a lot and someday I would love to get out there and fight him. Once again, I would like to go in there and push my luck.

PC: What’s the chance of us seeing you in the UFC and how is that whole situation playing out?

ST: To tell the truth, I have no idea what the UFC and Pride situation is right now. I would love to go to the UFC out here in the US. I like to travel. I love Japan, but my fans know me in America and this is where my girlfriend is and things like that, so I would love to fight in the UFC, but as far as when and contract wise, I don’t deal with that. I let my manager handle that because it’s too much English for my jungle vocabulary to handle. He knows what’s best for me as a fighter, so I let him take care of that.

PC: Always a pleasure to speak with you Sokoudjou. I hope you get the Shogun fight; that would be a classic. Anything you want to say in closing?

ST: Thanks man. I just want everyone to visit me at africanassassin.com. I will have gear, T-shirts and shorts and things like that coming in real soon.

Yamato Damashii
15-06-2007, 21:41
Leuk interview, thx!

I would get all in Shogun’s ass and make him fight me. That’s why I think I could beat him.

:eek::eek:
Als ik Shogun was zou ik een vork inslikken voor die partij!

dreamone
17-06-2007, 02:57
Shogun is een gevaarlijke vechter, maak ik geef Sokudjou wel een degelijke kans.. Ik heb nog niet echt veel van hem gezien, maar t ziet er wel uit dat hij potentie heeft.

ijsbier
17-06-2007, 03:03
Pfoe ik weet niet hoor, Shogun is wel echt een gestoorde mofo.

Emilio
17-06-2007, 03:28
Shogun zonder stomps is een stuk minder gevaarlijk. Soku heeft wel een kans al denk ik dat shogun hem op ervaring toch wel inpakt.

Wheelie
17-06-2007, 05:46
Leuk interview, thx!

:eek::eek:
Als ik Shogun was zou ik een vork inslikken voor die partij!

:thup:

kmr
17-06-2007, 07:11
Shogun zonder stomps is een stuk minder gevaarlijk. Soku heeft wel een kans al denk ik dat shogun hem op ervaring toch wel inpakt.

Heb je gezien hoe hij Allistair ground and pounde? Die stoot toen hij rechtop stond, deed niet onder voor Fedors stoten.:twak:

Paco
17-06-2007, 07:19
Dat wil ik wel zien gebeuren die partij :)