PDA

View Full Version : Interview met Antoni Hardonk over oa carriere en gevecht Mir

redjuh
26-08-2007, 08:53
Antoni talks about his career and his upcoming match with Frank Mir.

Hailing from Holland, Antoni Hardonk, leaves behind a prestigious career in K1 to dive into Mixed Martial Arts full time. At 5 and 3 he's had mixed results, but no opponent has been able to stop the 6'4 fighter whose turned his focus to adding a ground game to his already formidable striking abilities. He's facing former UFC heavy-weight champ Frank Mir Saturday August 25th at the Mandalay Bay Events Center in Nevada. We had a chance to talk with Antoni as he prepares for his next fight.

Bloodyknux- Who are some of the guys you are training with, and tell me about Vos Gym?

Antoni Hardonk- I’ve been training with Vos gym for almost 15 years. I started with Karate, and then Kick-Boxing. I began to compete professionally in Kick-boxing and had a few fights in K-1. I train with the likes of Ivan Hippolyte, Ernesto Hoost and Jerrel Veneetian. Our team fell apart a few years ago, and I felt I needed to develop myself even more. I didn’t have that many fights. At that time I started to train Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu back in Holland, which I liked a lot. Even though the lever wasn’t that high, it was a lot of fun. From there I trained at the Rickson Gracie academy for a few weeks. I came to Los Angeles for a few months and I stayed here and I totally devoted myself to training jiu-Jitsu. I have my blue belt right now, and I hope to receive my purple belt very soon. Last year I got interested in the UFC, and from there I contacted the UFC and signed a contract with them.
Last year I spent 6 months in LA training with Rickson, and then I’m back in Amsterdam. In Holland I still train with my old partners in Vos Gym. Ernesto is now retired and he trains other fighters with his team Mr. Perfect, where he prepares fighters for the K1 tournaments. When in Los Angeles most of the time I’m training with Rickson, and I train wrestling with IFl fighter Vladamir Matyshenko.

BK- What kind of changes to your game have you had to make to prepare fighting such a notable opponent and Jiu-Jitsu practitioner in Mir?

AH- First of all my strongest point is my stand-up game. Not only with Frank, but with other fighters, I feel I can give my most exciting fights by sticking with the stand-up. I train in jiu-jitsu, and I know Frank Mir is very good with submissions, he likes foot locks with all kinds of variations, and arm-locks. I train the escapes and I train the positioning game, and I feel really comfortable there. I train with Rickson and his students and instructors. I don’t think that Frank Mir, even though he’s a very high level and very experienced, I don’t think he’s on the level of the training partners that I have.

BK- Mir’s a former UFC champ, does that intimidate you in any way?

AH- I’m not nervous he’s an ex-champ. That doesn’t mean anything for me. It’s good exosure, but I think he’s going to be prepared more than he has been in the last few years, because his back is against the wall and he needs a win in this fight. I think he’s going to be prepared very well, and I’m prepared for the worst. I think it will be a good opportunity, and all the things I’ve worked on will pay off, and I can show the fans what my potential is.

BK- How much tape do you study of your opponent before a fight and how do you feel it helps you in preparing?

AH- I watch the fights, and see what kind of moves they like to do. I try to analyze where their weakness’s lies.

BK- You have a MMA record of 5 and 3, but you’ve never been stopped in a fight. All you losses are decisions. What do you attribute that too?

AH- I think that when I started Mixed Martial arts, I’m not good enough yet to dominate and finish a fight in time. I never felt like any of my opponents were able to finish me or knock me out. Some of those fighters were able to neutralize me, and were kind of stalling.

BK- Who in the UFC would you like to fight most and why?

AH- There doesn't have to be one person in particular. My ultimate goal is the belt, and I see myself going towards that step by step. Right now I’m focused on Frank Mir, but then I’ll be looking for who will be the next step up, but right now I don’t know.

BK- Do you watch MMA on TV regularly? if so which shows and what are your thoughts on them?

AH- I watch all of them once and a while. I like to train myself more and that’s more important to me, so the time is spent training.

BK- Who do you feel will walk out as the champion in Gonzaga v Couture and why?

AH- I think that Randy Couture has a very good chance, with his experience and his high level of wrestling, he can basically decide where the fight is going to be. His only weakness now is that he’s the champion, and that takes time away form him, but if he’s able to prepare himself right, is see him winning.

BK- Who do you feel will walk out as the champion in Hendo v Jackson and why?

AH- I think Henderson, I see him winning. I don’t know how he’s going to beat him, I think he has a more decent stand-up game, and it will be more of a stand up fight.

BK- As someone that MMA fans might not be too familiar, what do you feel will allow you to make a big splash in either the UFC or on the big stage of MMA?

AH- I did so many years of kick-boxing which I enjoyed, but since I’m started to focus on MMA, and train Jui-Jitsu and wrestling, I feel I’ve found the place I was looking for all those years I was training Martial arts. I know that I have some parts of my game that I need to develop further, but that’s what I’m working on right now, and I think they’re going to see much more of me in the future.

BK- Thanks for talking with us, and good luck next Saturday.

detje
26-08-2007, 23:26
helaas pindakaas

marcelt
26-08-2007, 23:50
Jammer hoor. Hoopte zo op onze 2e MMA-held. Heeft hij nog gevechten staan? Zo raakt ?Antoni zijn contract kwijt natuurlijk.

Dushi
27-08-2007, 00:07
Antoni heeft een aantal weken geleden een nieuw contract bij de UFC getekend voor 3 nieuwe partijen, waarvan dit de 1e was...

The Bulldog
27-08-2007, 00:37
o gelukkig dus we hebben er nog 2 te gaan...hoop dat hij dan beter zijn draai gaat vinden en zich omhoog gaat knokken....

Paganstars
27-08-2007, 03:28
Ik hoop echt dat zuffa/ufc hem niet gebruikt als stepping stone!

the monk
27-08-2007, 03:48
Misschien dat hij een andere voorbereiding moet nemen? Ik weet er niks vanaf maar dit gaat niet de goede kant op. Ik wens Antoni veel succes toe!

warbunny
27-08-2007, 03:57
Misschien dat hij een andere voorbereiding moet nemen? Ik weet er niks vanaf maar dit gaat niet de goede kant op. Ik wens Antoni veel succes toe!
Dit heeft niets met voorbereiding te maken maar met een gebrek aan MMA-kwaliteit. Hij mist gewoon zo veel om het in de sport te maken, laat staan in de UFC. Ja, hij kan het aardig doen tegen iedereen die het staand zal proberen maar als hij eenmaal op zijn rug ligt kan hij niet veel uitrichten.

mdk
27-08-2007, 04:36
Dit heeft niets met voorbereiding te maken maar met een gebrek aan MMA-kwaliteit. Hij mist gewoon zo veel om het in de sport te maken, laat staan in de UFC. Ja, hij kan het aardig doen tegen iedereen die het staand zal proberen maar als hij eenmaal op zijn rug ligt kan hij niet veel uitrichten.

Daar is hij dan ook hard op aan het trainen.

Denk toch dat hij aardig wat in zijn mars heeft anders krijg je geen 2e contract bij de UFC.
Maar ja Dana snapt er dan ook weinig van.......en hier weten we het allemaal beter...

Dushi
27-08-2007, 04:38
Daar is hij dan ook hard op aan het trainen.

Denk toch dat hij aardig wat in zijn mars heeft anders krijg je geen 2e contract bij de UFC.
Maar ja Dana snapt er dan ook weinig van.......en hier weten we het allemaal beter...

Amen...

Gulo gulo
27-08-2007, 04:53
Hardonk vs. Mir staat in het Multimedia gedeelte

http://www.mixfight.nl/forum/showthread.php?t=74446

Jeru
27-08-2007, 06:50
Het is best hard. Nog een paar verliespartijen en het is afgelopen in de UFC.

marcelt
27-08-2007, 07:12
Hardonk vs. Mir staat in het Multimedia gedeelte

http://www.mixfight.nl/forum/showthread.php?t=74446

Net gekeken; het was wel heel snel over. :thown:

Dutch Dynamite
27-08-2007, 07:46
Tja zijn instelling is goed, maar zie in hem geen toekomstige champ helaas, daar is toch heel wat voor nodig.

Evilman
27-08-2007, 08:44
En Mir is ook niet nix.
Hij was gewoon als vanouds haha..
mooie overwinning van m weer.

zo snel was mir trouwens niet met zn takedown..
dus als je zo graag stand up wilt -> sprawl?

REactie van zn vriendin is wel kicke trouwens :D

KO TKO
27-08-2007, 23:56
zo snel was mir trouwens niet met zn takedown..
dus als je zo graag stand up wilt -> sprawl?

x2, hij moet zijn takedown defence verbeteren, want de gevechten die ik van hem heb gezien werd hij makkelijk op de grond gegooid.

marcelt
28-08-2007, 00:04
Hoop dat hij de volgende twee wint. Anders krijgt Antoni geen nieuw contract.

makavelli
28-08-2007, 05:37
het is volgens mij niet alleen dan hij nog niet genoeg skills heeft..

zijn tactiek is ook heel slecht de vorige keer tegen mcully trapt hij teveel veel en werd hij steeds naar de grond gehaald. Nu probeert hij tegen een super grappler als Mir een omoplata ivp guard dicht houden of op proberen te staan..