PDA

View Full Version : Romulo Barral on his way to MMA

cholitzu
10-01-2008, 17:44
Out of the European championship, Jiu-Jitsu champion teaches in Poland.

Whoever says the 2007 medium heavyweight world champion, Romulo Barral, is staying away from the gi, could only say so sarcastically. The Vinicius Draculino student is facing this January bone chilling temperatures, of around 0 degrees Celsius, in Poland and goes about life there dressed like an Eskimo. When he’s not in his gi, of course, since the tough fighter has the goal of teaching a little of his style to Europeans in… Copacabana (!). GRACIEMAG.com contacted the star to talk about the European championship, now at the end of the month, and heard his plans for 2008: “This year I’m going to take some time off of Jiu-Jitsu competitions and intensify my MMA training.” Whoa, things just heated up…
What is the routine of a Jiu-Jitsu world champion in Poland like?
I got to know the owner of the brand Manto, who has an academy here in Poland, and he invited me to spend a few weeks teaching class. The name of the gym is Copacabana and Braulio Estima is in charge now, coming once a month from England. My routine is to teach during the day, train and do private classes. In the coming days I hope to get to know a bit more of the country.
Where to next?
The fact is I was in the United States, providing support for the new academy of my friend Piano, Gracie Barra Santa Ana, and I took the chance to do some seminars. I arrived in Poland a few days ago, I will also do some seminars in Holland and Spain, in Marbela, at the academy of my training partner Sururu.
What do you expect from this 5th European Jiu-Jitsu Championship? Will you compete?
Look, I expect there to be great athletes putting on a show as always. The truth is I won’t compete this time, I’ll be among the fans cheering for great fights.
What are your expectations in regards to your career this year, with you master Draculino with a strong MMA team, Gracie Fusion, and all?
This year I’ll take some time off from Jiu-Jitsu competitions and intensify my MMA training. Dracu already had a strong team, now it will surely be even better. My plan is to start fighting in some smaller events, to pick up experience, and then try to sign a good contract with a big show.
Who, in your opinion, currently has the best groundwork in MMA?
In the last fights I’ve seen, Demian Maia and Thales Leites are always showing great groundwork, going after the submission the whole time. But there are others, there’s Babalu, with whom I’ve had the opportunity to train and I could tell had a well honed ground game, submitting everybody.

Dit is dus de man die een seminar gaat geven in Glanerbrug, 12 januari 2008, zie thread: http://www.mixfight.nl/forum/showthread.php?t=77726

Justinian
10-01-2008, 18:00
Dit is dus de man die een seminar gaat geven in Glanerbrug, 12 januari 2008, zie thread: http://www.mixfight.nl/forum/showthread.php?t=77726

Correctomundo! Er zijn nog enkele plaatsen beschikbaar trouwens. Vrijdag haal ik hem op uit Oss en dan gaan we zaterdag aan de slag :D

chief108
10-01-2008, 18:16
veel leuke filmpjes ook op joetjoep
YouTube - Broadcast Yourself. (http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=Romulo+Barral+&search=Search)

rene1970
11-01-2008, 13:46
haha..ik heb er zin in zaterdag (trouwens vanavond ook als hij bij Remco is)