PDA

View Full Version : DAN HENDERSON INTERVIEW JANUARY 29TH 2008

Jani
31-01-2008, 10:33
MMANews.com: Dan Henderson. Dan how are you today?

Dan Henderson: I'm doing good. Just finished up some training.

MMANews.com: How has it been going?

Dan Henderson: It's been going really good. I'm right on track to kick some ass.

MMANews.com: Looking forward to getting in there with Anderson and fighting for a title?

Dan Henderson: Yeah I am.

MMANews.com: Is this fight similiar to the fight with Quintin Jackson in that it will be unifying the Pride and UFC titles?

Dan Henderson: Well, yeah but it's really a mute point because there is no more Pride. It's more too be undisputed champion at this point.

MMANews.com: What kind of things have you been working on in training?

Dan Henderson: I've mostly been working on fighting a south paw. I'm also working on the normal things I work on. I'm working on getting used to the cage and getting used to the rules like throwing more elbows.

MMANews.com: Would you say when you fought "Rampage" that coming back too the cage and the different rules were an issue for you?

Dan Henderson: Well I didn't really throw elbows when I was in the position to do it. With the cage I wasn't 100% used to it. I was getting there before the fight but I could have used a little bit more time in the cage. There were just a couple instances where I definitely noticed a difference.

MMANews.com: After fighting your last few fights at Light Heavyweight you are now dropping back down to Middleweight. Is that a weight you feel more comfortable at?

Dan Henderson: It doesn't really matter to me which weight I fight at.

MMANews.com: So you have no problem making either weight?

Dan Henderson: No not really. I typically weigh around 200-202lbs so making 185lbs is pretty easy.

MMANews.com: When fighting at 205lbs does fighting larger opponents bother you?

Dan Henderson: No. I'm sure I'll notice a difference though with Anderson being smaller than Quintin.

MMANews.com: How do you feel your clinch matches up with Silva's?

Dan Henderson: Well they are two different kinds of clinch. There is the one I use that I can control and the one he uses that he can control. It all depends on who is better at controlling theirs. Part of the game will also be striking in the clinch and using it for takedowns.

MMANews.com: Do you have a preference as to where this fight ends up?

Dan Henderson: Awww no not really. I feel that I'm capable of standing and banging with him and I feel that I am fully capable of taking him down. He is dangerous on the ground as well though as he showed against Travis Lutter. I feel that this is a good fight for me style wise. I feel real good about this fight.

MMANews.com: Is this a fight that could have materialized back in Pride?

Dan Henderson: I believe it was discussed at one point but he wasn't able to get a Visa for the fight. Before he left Pride he lost a couple times so that was the only time it was talked about.

MMANews.com: What changes have you noticed since he has made the transition into the UFC?

Dan Henderson: He looks a little bit better on the ground than he was in the past. He was submitted a number of times in Pride. That is the main difference I've noticed. He always showed that he had striking skills.

MMANews.com: Some claim that the UFC Middleweight division is the weakest they have with the exception of a few fighters. How do you see the division?

Dan Henderson: I wouldn't really say it is their weakest division. I think it has just been that no one has been able to match up good style wise with Anderson. Maybe I destroy Anderson Silva but have a tough fight against Rich Franklin. It's just styles make the fights and style wise Silva has been walking through people. I think that now that I'm in the division it adds quite a bit to it.

MMANews.com: Was the move to Middleweight influenced by the UFC or was it your own decision?

Dan Henderson: It was the UFC making the offer to fight at Middleweight. I wanted too stay at 205lbs for a while but the more I thought about it the more I was excited about fighting at 185lbs.

MMANews.com: If you happened to lose this fight would you go back to 205lbs?

Dan Henderson: No I'm staying at Middleweight.

MMANews.com: Who has helped you prepare for the fight?

Dan Henderson: All the Team Quest guys. I also brought in some French strikers to help me out. I wanted to get experience with longer and left handed guys.

MMANews.com: Do you have any Team Quest updates?

Dan Henderson: well, the end of the year didn't quite end how we had hoped with Soa and Sokoudjou losing but they'll be back. We'll be making a big bang in 2008.

MMANews.com: How do you see the fight ending. With a finish or a decision?

Dan Henderson: It has the chance to go both ways. We both have the skill to KO the other and the skill to submit the other but I expect it to go the full 25 minutes. Obviously I'd love to get the first round knock out.

MMANews.com: Are you still fighting off your Pride contract or do you have a new UFC contract.

Dan Henderson: No, I now have a five fight deal with the UFC.

MMANews.com: Do you feel as though this could be the toughest test to date for your legendary chin?

Dan Henderson: Umm it could be. I don't think he hits as hard as I thought but he is really precise and really quick. It could be a test.

MMANews.com: Are there any Middleweights you would like fight after the fight with Anderson?

Dan Henderson: I haven't really thought about that yet. I'm focused on this one. I don't want to put the cart in front of the horse.

MMANews.com: Did Sokoudjou signing with UFC have any bearing on moving to middleweight?

Dan Henderson: No. I had planned on staying at 205lbs but when this fight came along I decided to go down.

MMANews.com: If you had to pick the top 5 Middleweights in the world who would they be?

Dan Henderson: Anderson Silva, Myself, and Matt Lindland. Beyond that it's a toss up.

MMANews.com: What are your thoughts on Paulo Filho?

Dan Henderson: I don't think he has been very impressive in his last two performances since coming to the US but I think that's what not being able to use Steroids will do to you.

MMANews.com: Are you saying Filho may be a juicer?

Dan Henderson: Well that's my opinion anyway. He hasn't looked good since he left Pride.

MMANews.com: Was steroid abuse a problem in Pride?

Dan Henderson: People didn't get tested.

MMANews.com: So I suppose if you can get away with it why not.

Dan Henderson: Exactly.

MMANews.com: What were your thoughts on the finish of the Chael Sonnen/Filho fight?

Dan Henderson: Well Chael didn't tap. The ref stopped it on his own because he thought Chael was in troble. Chael shouldn't have found himself in that position but the ref also shouldn't have stopped the fight.

MMANews.com: Do you have any sponsors you'd like to mention?

Dan Henderson: Yeah sure, Clinch Gear. You can check them out on the web at Clinchgear.com Official Store (http://www.clinchgear.com)

MMANews.com: And is there anything you'd like to say to your fans reading?

Dan Henderson: I appreciate the support.

MMANews.com: Alright Dan, I really appreciate you taking the time to speak with me today and I look forward to two of the best Middleweights in the world locking up in what should be a very exciting tilt.

Dan Henderson: Thank You.

Ralph
31-01-2008, 11:01
Leuk, die sneer naar Filho!

anonymous001
31-01-2008, 11:46
Leuk interview. Topvechter, en hij zegt gewoon wat ie denkt, denk ik...

fedor
31-01-2008, 12:21
Ja bedankt voor het interview:

Dan Henderson: I wouldn't really say it is their weakest division. I think it has just been that no one has been able to match up good style wise with Anderson. Maybe I destroy Anderson Silva but have a tough fight against Rich Franklin. It's just styles make the fights and style wise Silva has been walking through people. I think that now that I'm in the division it adds quite a bit to it.
De spijker op z'n kop...

wrestler_nl
31-01-2008, 12:36
mooi interview, thankz..

anonymous001
31-01-2008, 13:13
Zeg ik durf het bijna niet te vragen, want ik heb maar heel weinig helden, maar...

Zou Fedor...?

Het zou wel voor de hand liggen, en ook wel het een en ander verklaren...

YoMarK
31-01-2008, 19:20
Als iedereen roids gebruikt dan maakt het ook niet meer uit natuurlijk. Dan wint nog steeds de beste. :)

Het is maar goed dat er in de UFC wel word getest.

Evilman
31-01-2008, 19:34
Zeg ik durf het bijna niet te vragen, want ik heb maar heel weinig helden, maar...

Zou Fedor...?

Het zou wel voor de hand liggen, en ook wel het een en ander verklaren...

het zou voor de hand liggen en blabla verklaren.
Dit is gelul in de ruimte.. verklaar je eens nader dan.

Zn skills komen in elk geval niet door de roids
en die zijn fenomenaal.

Evilman
31-01-2008, 19:37
http://www.clinchgear.com/

Damn die buik van m op de homepage...

rene37
31-01-2008, 19:41

en die zijn fenomenaal.

X2
En zijn lichaam ziet er niet echt gejuiced uit...
Zo.... kweet niet waar je het over hebt:confused:

anonymous001
04-02-2008, 13:21

en die zijn fenomenaal.

Is ook gelul in de ruimte, mee eens. We zullen het nooit weten, want ze testten niet. Maar is het geen interessante vraag!? De absolute nummer een, allertijden, had de gelegenheid om doping te gebruiken (ja, ja, net als de rest, maar toch). In de Tour de France vond men dat een interessante vraag toen het over Armstrong ging.

Ik verklaar me nader: hij heeft combinatie van conditie en kracht die door menigeen 'onmenselijk' genoemd wordt. Hij ziet er niet opgepompt uit, maar er zijn meer verboden middelen dan alleen 'roids'. Zie wederom de Tour. En het is een Rus!!! Russen hebben dopinggebruik zo ongeveer uitgevonden. Als je ergens de know how hebt om prestaties te verhogen is het wel in de voormalige USSR. Geloof me, ik heb tegen Oekraniers gevochten waarbij het uit de oren gespoten kwam.

En verder... Controleert de M1 op doping??? Is dat geen interessante vraag gezien de vastgelopen onderhandelingen met de UFC?

Wat ik zeg, ik hoop echt zo van niet, want ik zou echt een held verliezen... Voor een gedeelte in ieder geval. Het zou gewoon afdoen aan de glans...

Als iemand me van het tegendeel kan overtuigen zou ik erg dankbaar zijn!

Jani
04-02-2008, 14:19
bij fedor is het idd de techniek wat hem zo goed maakt

tegen coleman bij pride 32 -The Real Deal was hij super, en enorm sterk. (vooral zijn takedown def) en daar in vegas is hij zeker getest.

bij filho zie je dat hij kracht mist en minder explosief is dan in zijn pride partijen
(Maar ook dat zou aan verkeerd weight cutten kunnen liggen)

anonymous001
04-02-2008, 14:22
Wordt er bij Sambo getest?