PDA

View Full Version : Wanderlei Silva vs. Keith Jardine confirmed for UFC 84

wrestler_nl
23-02-2008, 20:57
There has been a lot speculation and hint dropping lately that a fight was brewing between former Pride fighter Wanderlei Silva and Ultimate Fighting Championship contender Keith Jardine. That fight is about to become a reality.

“I’m leaving right now to sign the Jardine fight contract and you are the first ones to know officially,” said Silva on his website on Friday. “I am starting to train hard again to be able to get the victory.”

Although Jardine’s management could not confirm the fight, sources close to the fighter’s camp indicate that Jardine is prepared to sign a bout agreement to face Silva on May 24 at UFC 84 in Las Vegas.

As for Silva’s training for the fight, he elaborated on his situation, saying, “This week I went to talk to (Randy) Couture and I’ve asked him to be my new coach. He was very happy with my wish and he will teach me some wrestling. I’ll be doing the fighting training with his athletes in a time where everybody train together.”

Silva is a very popular fighter, but is at an important crossroads in his career. He has lost his last three bouts, the first time he has ever done so. He was knocked out in a heavyweight bout with Mirko “Cro Cop” Filipovic and then dropped his 205-pound Pride title to Dan Henderson, also by knockout. In his most recent bout, his return to the UFC, he lost a unanimous decision to Chuck Liddell.

Silva has indicated that he wasn’t as effective in utilizing the cage as he should have been when he faced Liddell, which is a significant part of his decision to train with Couture. He believes that the UFC heavyweight champion can help him adapt his skills for the Octagon.

Jardine had seemed to be steadily working his way into title contention with back-to-back victories over Wilson Gouveia and Forrest Griffin before being derailed by then UFC newcomer Houston Alexander. In his last fight out, Jardine scored a victory over Liddell, putting him back on the track towards the title. A win over Silva would likely put him on the cusp of that coveted shot at UFC gold.

Liddell confirmed to MMAWeekly that he has signed to fight Mauricio “Shogun” Rua at UFC 85. With Jardine’s victory over Liddell coming via split decision and with Forrest Griffin and Quinton Jackson’s title bout reportedly not happening until late summer, if Liddell and Jardine both win, it is a distinct possibility that the two might have to rematch before either is able to challenge the light heavyweight champion.

(mmaweekly.com)

GOEIE MATCHUP!!!:thup:

anonymous001
23-02-2008, 21:12
Cool. Moet ie toch kunnen doen.

chief108
23-02-2008, 21:26
top...

wordt vast mooie pot

Tony
23-02-2008, 21:35
We hadden er op kunnen wachten.. mooi mooi.
Hoop echt op dikke winst a la silva in de jaren pride...

As for Silva’s training for the fight, he elaborated on his situation, saying, “This week I went to talk to (Randy) Couture and I’ve asked him to be my new coach. He was very happy with my wish and he will teach me some wrestling. I’ll be doing the fighting training with his athletes in a time where everybody train together.”

En dit is al helemaal geweldig :)

Vale Tudo
23-02-2008, 22:08
ik hoop echt dat wand weer es wint op een ouderwetse KO door mishandeling!!

chief108
23-02-2008, 22:58
ik hoop echt dat wand weer es wint op een ouderwetse KO door mishandeling!!
:stupid:

The Bulldog
23-02-2008, 23:03
:stupid::osu: