PDA

View Full Version : Lauzon sees many advantages in headline fight with Florian

Tony
27-03-2008, 08:46
http://www.insidefighting.com/images/photos/MMA/TUF5Finale/FightNight/IFtuf5_img_2346.jpg

Joe Lauzon is a smart guy. The former information technology professional is smart enough, in fact, to be well aware of the fact that many will consider him a major underdog in his next fight against Kenny Florian.

Florian has looked more and more impressive with each of his fights, has gone five rounds with former UFC lightweight champion Sean Sherk and some fans believe that though the young Lauzon is talented, he’s just not ready for someone on that level yet. But even if everyone else is already counting him out, Lauzon is certain he’ll have one major advantage over Florian that will make all the difference.

“One thing I have in my favor is my unpredictability. Maybe in a straight boxing or Jiu Jitsu match Kenny would beat me, but you put everything together and that’s where I’m best,” Lauzon says looking towards his April 2nd Spike TV Fight Night showdown with Florian.

Though Lauzon clearly respects Florian’s abilities, he also doesn’t accept the notion that Florian is simply more advanced at the different elements of fighting on their own.

“I don’t know. I think on the ground if you put me in a gi he’d choke me out but out of the gi I figure I’d do pretty well. Stand-up wise, Kenny has good kicks and may have the better total package but I have ways to deal with that. My transitions are stronger, I have cardio and I’m more explosive. He’s a good athlete but if you’ll notice his arms are real small for his fights, he looks sucked out. I’m not the thickest guy either but I’m pretty explosive for my size, very technical and have strength good with a good base,” Lauzon says.

“I’m more explosive with wrestling and things like that. I think I’m better at putting things together. I’ve knocked out guys that have better stand up than me but because of how I put things together I’ve done well. I’ve gone against real good wrestlers, submitted guys with real good Jiu Jitsu. I don’t think I’m the typical guy. I’m not the sum of my parts, you have to multiply my parts. I’m not too worried. I don’t think I’m out-matched in skills at all,” Lauzon continues.

And don’t be so sure in thinking that Florian, who is older than Lauzon and has more fights within the UFC under his belt, is necessarily the more experienced fighter either. Lauzon fought several top notch competitors before he entered the UFC and also saw weaknesses in some of Florian’s stand out bouts.

“I think that’s one thing I have an edge in; experience. I know it was one of his first fights but in his fight against Drew Fickett (a local boutt that sparked UFC President Dana White to personally urge Florian to try out for the first Ultimate Fighter season) he showed inexperience in that he fought the entire time to get [Fickett] on his back and when he did he backed up. But I think I’m very good at not letting my emotions get the best of me [and instead] thinking things through. When he fought Sherk I think he had it stuck in his head, ‘I have to cut this guy, kick him in the head or cut him with an elbow.’ He had five rounds to change things up and he didn’t do it.

“Diego ran him over, Sherk ran him over, and in the toughest fight he’s had, against Din Thomas, his opponent blew out his knee. A win is a win but I’m never, ever going to have a guy blow his knee and then brag about how I finish fights. I think he came off really bad. I have so many people sending me messages, ‘You have to finish [Florian],’” Lauzon says.

Leave it to the quiet gamesmen Lauzon to seamlessly segue from breaking down a bout to critiquing his opponent in a more personal way that might get into their head before a fight. “Baby Joe” and his camp seem to also be pretty sure that he’ll have a psychological advantage over Florian.

Lauzon has recently become a transport from his native Massachusetts to Hawaii where he has trained with the likes of UFC lightweight champion BJ Penn and Coach Rudy Valentino for this fight and the one prior, a win over Jason Reinhardt in November. A little over a year ago Valentino had the opportunity to see Florian train up close and personal when “Ken-Flo” visited Hilo, and the top trainer recently told InsideFighting that he believes that Lauzon is just a meaner and more ruthless fighter than Florian.

“I think I’m pretty mean,” Lauzon agrees.

Certainly when he needs to be, the normally congenial Lauzon is a different person when dealing with muscle heads on the mats or competing in the ring.

But ultimately Lauzon comes back to the ability to adapt in a fight, something he’s certain he does better than Florian. Florian, for all his skill, is a much more straightforward and predictable fighter than he, Lauzon believes.

“One of the things I do very well is adapt. With [former UFC champion Jens] Pulver the game plan completely changed… If Kenny isn’t fighting real serious, I’ll have him out of there real quick.”

Stay tuned for part II of our conversations with both Lauzon and Florian before their main event fight on April 2nd!

Tony
27-03-2008, 08:47
Man man man.. hoop echt op een mooie upset voor Lauzon.. Dat ie KenFlo maar eens mooi voorziet van een RNC....

Lauzon is een beest... :D

Jochem
27-03-2008, 14:28
Man man man.. hoop echt op een mooie upset voor Lauzon.. Dat ie KenFlo maar eens mooi voorziet van een RNC....

Lauzon is een beest... :D

In mijn ogen echt geen upset. Als de odds goed zijn ga ik all in op Lauzon. No way dat kenny van Joe wint. Tenminste, als ik dan nog centjes over heb na dit weekend :)

Tony
27-03-2008, 14:59
nou, in feite staat KenFlo hoger geschat dan een Lauzon... (ahoewel ik met je eens ben dat Lauzon dit gewoon gaat winnen.. punt)

Maar Joe is ook niet onstopbaar hoor... Hij verloor in de Ultimate Fighter van Manny... (die ik persoonlijk zeeeer hoog inschat... dat dan weer wel)

Achja... WAR LAUZON!!!!

MMA Davy
27-03-2008, 15:38
Kenny sloopt hem!

All in op Kenny!

Tony
27-03-2008, 16:02
Dan vote ff in dit topic dat je op deze match wilt wedden..
Welke UFN 13 partijen willen jullie het liefst op wedden? - www.MixFight.nl (http://www.mixfight.nl/forum/showthread.php?t=80417)

(vote dan ook direct ff voor frankie edgar :) )

chief108
28-03-2008, 08:02
done...

GO LAUZON!!!!