PDA

View Full Version : - KOSCHECK SIGNS NEW UFC DEAL, LYTLE NEXT

Tony
02-04-2008, 14:38
http://www.mmaweekly.com/absolutenm/articlefiles/6006-KoscheckHazelett142UFC82.jpg

The MMA free agency pool got a bit shallower just recently after former “Ultimate Fighter” season one participant Josh Koscheck signed a new contract with the Ultimate Fighting Championship.

Koscheck was at the end of his previous deal after defeating Dustin Hazelett at UFC 82. The decision to re-sign was easy according to the fighter.

“Basically my decision to stay with the UFC is because I’ve been with them for the past three years. They’ve invested time and money in me, and for me it’s the best organization right now. It’s pretty much always been the best organization in the U.S. Now they’re the best in the world,” said Koscheck recently on MMAWeekly Radio. “So for me, it was a no-brainer. They have the best fighters; they have the best promotion and the best show. So that’s where I want to be.”

The former NCAA champion wrestler has spent the majority of his career with the UFC. Beyond competition, it was also a matter of loyalty to stay.

“The UFC’s been loyal to me and I’m loyal to them. So they kept me around for the past three years, and there’s a lot of fighters that have come and gone, but for me I didn’t plan on going anywhere,” Koscheck stated.

The welterweight division is considered one of the most talent laden weight classes in the UFC and three of the top contenders all happen to be from the same gym. Koscheck trains alongside another “Ultimate Fighter” alum in Mike Swick – who recently dropped to 170 pounds – and current top welterweight Jon Fitch.

Despite the number of fighters from his own gym competing in the weight class, Koscheck refuses to believe that it’s not a good thing.

“That’s a good problem to have for the guys out of AKA,” he said. “That means we’ve booted everybody out and hopefully that’s the case. Hopefully, I’ll keep winning, one fight at a time, put on good performances for the fans, put on good performances for the UFC, and put on good performance for our gym, AKA.”

Before the American Kickboxing Academy fighters can rule the roost, Koscheck will first face Chris Lytle in July at UFC 86, but he is training the same as always.

“I always prepare the same way for every opponent. It really doesn’t matter to me who I fight or when I fight them,” he commented. “It doesn’t really matter to me who I fight.”

Koscheck will now return to training with his contract concerns behind him, knowing his future with the UFC is secure.